cleaning the front sprocket of street twin 2018

raccoonspeed

Local time
Today, 17:26
First Name
john
My Ride
street twin 2018
I took the front sprocket cover off my street twin and found the footbrake hydraulic piston in front of the sprocket. Rather than continue loosening that brackets i thought to ask
what the procedure is for cleaning the sprocket and advise for such.
thx
John

Do you have a picture?

WD-40 and a toothbrush/stiff brush will move chain lube and such if that's what you want to do.

Do you have a picture?
no photo, but i went back at it and did unbolt the back brake piston to remove other plastic flanges and got to the sprocket to clean out the area of grease build up. the wd-40 did a good job

Chain lube builds up around the front sprocket on my T100 so about once a year I pull the cover and clean it out.
The first time I knew there was buildup, the chain lube had oozed down from behind the cover due to the heat of the engine, and that's when I noticed it.

I do this about twice per year.

thats why every bike but an offroader should be belted. put a scootworks belt kit on my 2012 bonnie, NO oily wheel or anything else to clean, no adjustments after initial break in except tyre changes + prolly a 100 thou life!!!

I have never owned a belt driven or shaft driven bike and I do ride off pavement. I guess I am so used to chains that I don't mind the maintenance.

I was wondering if they made a belt drive kit for a 2018 Bobber myself? The answer is, yes they do. Here's some info that I found out about it, along with some pictures of the conversion.

Joined Feb 23, 2017
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 May 3, 2017
Today i had the FreeSpirits belt drive conversion installed.
My mechanic likes a good ol´ challenge and is always up for some modding. Luckily for him this mod didn't disappoint !
***This conversion SHOULD be done by a pro.

The sensation of a belt drive is very different to that of a chain on the Bobber. I feel that throttle control is now more 'electric' and power is delivered to the back wheel with less of a delay & in a mature yet potent manner. There is certainly NO indication of any power loss. If anything, the bikes feels EASIER to accelerate with from first gear onwards. It's hard to explain, but the best way to put it is that both on and off the throttle, the bike is smoother and therefore feels faster.
There is definitely less noise and its fun to hear the gears clicking into place perfectly with every shift.

Overall, it's a very special mod and i think it compliments the Bobber perfectly both in looks and functionality.

i-WzgjMpK-XL.jpg

i-gBF4ZbP-XL.jpg

https://www.freespiritsparts.com/en...-up-grade-floating-front-brake-rotor-kit.html

Here's some more info about belt drives for the 2018 Triumph Bobber belt drive kits, along with some pictures. The kit is going to run you almost a 1,000 bucks and your going to need a real good mechanic to make the change. But, according to what I read, it a good change over. But, it's also not cheap either. The kit is going to run you almost a grand. Then the cost of having the work done, by a pro mechanic and machinist, is probably going to run up around two grand. I love the idea of a belt drive. Right now though for me, it's a little on the pricey side. I'm a good mechanic myself. But, I wouldn't want to tackle that one, without the right tools and torque wrenches. It's another one of those, you have to remove this, to get to that. In another words, it looks to be very time consuming to do. It doesn't look that hard to do. But just time consuming, that's all. But for me, right now? I need to buy my tires, before, I buy anything else. This is very nice and I'll probably do it to my Bobber next year. But this year, I've spent all that I can, with the handlebars, forward controls, the dealertool, a PC laptop for the dealertool and some metric tools, along with some torque wrenches, to go along with everything else, in my motorcycle budget for this year. Maybe, next year! First off though, I'll have to see how I'm looking in the pocket book at that time. Then I can go from there. Here's some more info, about that Triumph belt drive kit and where to buy it, in the USA. Look up, A and J Cycles. That's where I found it. Good luck and I hope this helps.
75A9D8B7-9685-4CA5-AE91-A0DC92D8672F.jpeg

1. 75A9D8B7-9685-4CA5-AE91-A0DC92D8672F-100x100.jpeg
  2. 035DA690-0028-40C4-9AE1-08930C895337-100x100.jpeg
  3. 83118D8F-8279-44B0-B5F4-552CD653554E-100x100.jpeg
  4. C29E2444-A38D-4C3B-BD14-1234298E8D5E-100x100.jpeg
  5. F1672B75-2A4F-4E50-9C8E-4FB011AD7886-100x100.jpeg
Free Spirits Belt Drive Conversion – Triumph Bobber, Bobber Black and Speedmaster
$979.99

I can buy a bunch of chains for that price! BGRIN

I can buy a bunch of chains for that price! BGRIN
That's kind of the way, I look at it too. I guess, if your on a fixed income like me, a nice high quality chain and sprockets will do just fine. If you go on a trip, just make sure to carry some spray lube with you. IMO

I do carry chain lube when I travel long distances. I lube when I stop for lunch. When I've fininshed eating the lube is dry. Usually I have ridden 250 miles. I lube again at the end of the day.

I do carry chain lube when I travel long distances. I lube when I stop for lunch. When I've fininshed eating the lube is dry. Usually I have ridden 250 miles. I lube again at the end of the day.
What kind of container do you carry your lube in?

If I'm on a tour I carry an aerosol spray can of lube. CarlS probably does the same - but I don't lube quite that often unless I've ridden in the rain for some distance.

If I'm on a tour I carry an aerosol spray can of lube. CarlS probably does the same - but I don't lube quite that often unless I've ridden in the rain for some distance.
I've thought about some type of small pocket pouch kit for critical items. Or I could always install some type of pannier bag system..

I do carry chain lube when I travel long distances. I lube when I stop for lunch. When I've finished eating the lube is dry. Usually I have ridden 250 miles. I lube again at the end of the day.
I do the same thing. I lube the night before, I head out on my trip. I stop every two hundred miles, I religiously,spray my chain down every two hundred miles. Then, I take a 30 minute break, to let the lube settle in. Then I hit the road again, until I get past another two hundred miles, then I repeat the whole process all over again. Until I pull into a campground. I've got this little carrying canvas bag, that I can carry a small bag of groceries in, which wraps around my waist and snaps into place, like a belt buckle. Then, I can tighten it up or loosen it, if need be and then I've got my big backpack loaded down with my air mattress, sleeping bag, coffee and so on. But, I always carry plenty of water, along with something to eat and some extra goodies to munch on, also one can of chain lube and one big bottle of Gatorade. Just in case, I need it.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom