B25bsaboy

Local time
Today, 05:33
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Good day to you lol and Happy October:y44:

the other day I was out on another shake down ride and I noticed that when I put the transmission in neutral at the stop light letting the clutch out I thought I heard/felt a rattling sound. Pulled the clutch lever in and it went away. Is there something I should be concerned about? If there is something I over looked in the reassembly of the clutch earlier this year will I have to take it apart this winter are readdress?

I would think that in neutral, with the clutch lever released, the noise is more likely coming from the transmission. Are you using the recommended oil. MUST be rated for motorcycles, and the proper viscosity. ...J.D.

I would think that in neutral, with the clutch lever released, the noise is more likely coming from the transmission. Are you using the recommended oil. MUST be rated for motorcycles, and the proper viscosity. ...J.D.
Thank you for the comment! Oil is 10W/40 Motul Full Synthetic 7100!

Is this a noise you can record, while it’s stopped? Is it a constant or intermittent sound?

In neutral, with the clutch engaged, the transmission input shaft is turning. But, because it is neutral, the output shaft is stationary. Might be a noisy bearing in the gearbox. ...J.D.

In neutral, with the clutch engaged, the transmission input shaft is turning. But, because it is neutral, the output shaft is stationary. Might be a noisy bearing in the gearbox. ...J.D.
Again, Thank you for your input! If its a noisy bearing, anything to be concerned about?

Is this a noise you can record, while it’s stopped? Is it a constant or intermittent sound?
When I first heard it, it was constant when the clutch lever was in the neutral position meaning the lever was out and not engaged.

If it’s a bearing I’d fix it before it gets worse. I’d look sooner than later.

Just an off thought, could one of the discs been stuck or dragging a bit?

If it’s a bearing I’d fix it before it gets worse. I’d look sooner than later.
Thank you for the comment and after thinking about your analogy, here is what is happening! The main shaft and lay shaft in the transmission are usually spinning, thus the rattle or sound that I heard would be present all the time. Remember the noise disappears when you pull the clutch lever in, thus expanding the pressure plates inside the clutch basket thus no rattle sound.

The weather has turned cooler and I may get one more ride in before the white stuff arrives on out door step. :y47: I will give the Thunderbird a good run, pull over somewhere and do a stick and ear investigation to see if I can pin point or even locate where the rattle is coming from.

Stay tuned!

Just an off thought, could one of the discs been stuck or dragging a bit?
Will investigate when I change the engine oil later this month to put the Thunderbird away for the winter. Thank you for the comment :y45:

Will investigate when I change the engine oil later this month to put the Thunderbird away for the winter. Thank you for the comment :y45:
How’s the free play on the clutch? I had let mine get too big, my inexperience. Worth giving a closer look and turning it a bit and measuring.

How’s the free play on the clutch? I had let mine get too big, my inexperience. Worth giving a closer look and turning it a bit and measuring.
Thank you for the comment, but I am sorry I don't understand your meaning of clutch free play? Can you expand on that statement !

This.
Sikatri, Thank you for your comment and attached link to adjust a cable/pull clutch assembly for the bikes that are not equipped with hydraulic clutch lever assemblies!WINK The 900 Thunderbird all came with the hydraulic style and not cable/pull design that I am very familiar with.

Sikatri, Thank you for your comment and attached link to adjust a cable/pull clutch assembly for the bikes that are not equipped with hydraulic clutch lever assemblies!WINK The 900 Thunderbird all came with the hydraulic style and not cable/pull design that I am very familiar with.
Is there any other adjustment system mentioned in the manual? I would think the plates wear and some form of free play adjustment might need to be periodically done. I remember my old 71 SAAB had a hydraulic clutch system and a bolt on the transmission to adjust clutch free play. Just a thought. I know it’s a car, but the principal might be similar.

Any progress? Is the hydraulic system self adjusting?

Last edited:
Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom