Riding for 20 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 23:09
First Name
Gabor
My Ride
yamaha xsr900, 94 kawasaki zx600
Hi,
Have a 95 thunderbird 900. Anyone know if there are parts from other makes that are compatible with this model?
Currently especially interested in front brake caliper rebuild kit.

Reason I'm asking is that when I was searching for a different part, think it was fork seals, Yamaha came up a lot.

Thanks,
Gabor

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Can't address the Thunderbird 900. But with my 03 T100, there were some from both Yamaha and Honda thart were interchangeable.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 00:09
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I can't answer the question either, but many factories use the same parts such as in the brakes.

saftie

Riding for 20 Years
Local time
First Name
Gabor
My Ride
yamaha xsr900, 94 kawasaki zx600
Can't address the Thunderbird 900. But with my 03 T100, there were some from both Yamaha and Honda thart were interchangeable.
How did you find them?
I'd assume that parts numbers are different.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Reading various forums and cross referencing numbers. Specifically brake parts and electrical components were interchangeable, also some bearings.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
1996 Thunderbird, 1975(ish) Norton Commando
A lot of common service items like bearings, seals, etc are interchangeable between makes., But most of these types of items can still be ordered from Triumph and on-line dealer parts diagrams part numbers and price are easy to deal with. I HATE buying from dealers, but if it's easy and still available at a reasonable price, (and Triumph parts are often $$$$$, I know!), why not? For brake pads, hoses, clutch parts, etc, etc, I'll definitely spend the time at aftermarket sources; my '96 Thunderbird has a lot of aftermarket upgrades/modifications-brakes, hoses, suspension, carbs, etc. Things like fork springs have many applications. Gaskets for these bikes can be a PIA

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 52 Years
Banned
Local time
Today, 13:09
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
A lot of common service items like bearings, seals, etc are interchangeable between makes., But most of these types of items can still be ordered from Triumph and on-line dealer parts diagrams part numbers and price are easy to deal with. I HATE buying from dealers, but if it's easy and still available at a reasonable price, (and Triumph parts are often $$$$$, I know!), why not? For brake pads, hoses, clutch parts, etc, etc, I'll definitely spend the time at aftermarket sources; my '96 Thunderbird has a lot of aftermarket upgrades/modifications-brakes, hoses, suspension, carbs, etc. Things like fork springs have many applications. Gaskets for these bikes can be a PIA
One of the big chips people have is the disappearing or none existence dealer network.
Dealers make very little from the sale of a bike.
The dealer usually don't make any money for half a working week of work.
ie : overheads of wages and rent take 1/2 a mechanic hours before profit.
Same applies to spare parts department, etc.
So if good dealers don't get service and spare parts sales.
They leave and find something else to be in business with.
Then were all left with Rip Off dealers, that we all know so well !
Hence the saying " I HATE buying for dealers"
Don't know the Answer !

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I don't hate buying from a dealer. In fact, I try to support a good local dealer. I may pay a couple of bucks more for an oil filter than I would at Cycle Gear or WalMart, but I think we need good local dealerships. That said, I will also support a good independent shop. One dealership, which I won't name, will offer 3rd party parts as an option when doing repairs, servicing, or upgrades or selling parts over the counter. I do support this dealership.

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 52 Years
Banned
Local time
Today, 13:09
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
I don't hate buying from a dealer. In fact, I try to support a good local dealer. I may pay a couple of bucks more for an oil filter than I would at Cycle Gear or WalMart, but I think we need good local dealerships. That said, I will also support a good independent shop. One dealership, which I won't name, will offer 3rd party parts as an option when doing repairs, servicing, or upgrades or selling parts over the counter. I do support this dealership.
I have a friend who cannot be trusted with a Spanner.
He is stuck with a 2 dealer network in Sydney.
I've give up giving him advice, as he never takes it.
Always goes to the same 2 dealers, cause he's central city based.
Its always the same story....

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
Problem is, dealers don't stock parts!! Common "service" parts like gaskets, seals, filters, cables; items that are common to require replacement SHOULD be carried. But they don't. I worked in big "mega mall o' motorcycles" and customers would come in for routine 500 mile 1st service, say, and we wouldn't have oil filters in stock! Far and away, H-D dealers are vastly better for actually stocking common service items for current model bikes, but don't ask for something for a Shovelhead, or even for Evo bikes!
A true conversation with Triumph parts counter after 40 minute slog across sprawl; "I don't have that in stock, I can order it" Really? You don't have, (I believe it was a cam cover gasket after a valve check), it in stock? You have to order it? And I have to come all the way back here to pick it up? Hell, I can order it! What do I need YOU for?"
I can buy/order parts for Meriden Triumphs easily, from scores of suppliers. Parts availability is virtually 100%. Not so for modern Hinckley Triumph.. Triumph dealers here in USA have been dropping steadily for years.
I don't WANT a new bike, I want to fix this one.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I hear you and I agree with you. The two Triumph dealers I do business with DO stock the common parts.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
Sad that I can get virtually 100% parts availability for my Meriden Triumphs or my Norton Commandos, PLUS a huge amount of cool upgrade parts far, far, easier and generally for better prices than for my "modern" 1996 Hinckley Triumph Thunderbird. Have to order on web just like "modern" Hinckley Triumph, IF they are still available. There IS a Triumph dealer an hour + slog across town and another 134 miles across State, (1/2 way to Chicago!), but you'll have to order from web anyway. REALLY, really, like my '96 T-bird, but pretty sour on entire parts issue. That's why, even though I like Moto Guzzis, I don't have one.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Third party parts are readily available for the Hinckley Bonneville family and for the 800 Tiger family. Un fortunately, this is not the case for a lot of older Hinckley models.

Linkdog

Riding for 12 Years
Local time
First Name
Kevin
My Ride
2010 Thunderbird 1600
CarlS, what 2 dealers are you using?

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Fun Bike Center
1845 E. Memorial Blvd. ·
Lakeland, FL 33801

Euro Cycles of Orlando
8901 Futures Dr.
Orlando, FL 32819

Euro Cycles has just taken on the Triumph line. Their website is not yet updated.

Linkdog

Riding for 12 Years
Local time
First Name
Kevin
My Ride
2010 Thunderbird 1600
Thanks Carl, I am familiar with the one in Lakeland. Good to hear about the one in south Orlando, they had Triumphs a while back when they were BMW motorcycles of Orlando and were affiliated with BMW motorcycles of Daytona where I bought mine. Another dealer if you don't mind travelling is Motorcycle Enthusiasts in Spring Hill, FL.

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Thanks Carl, I am familiar with the one in Lakeland. Good to hear about the one in south Orlando, they had Triumphs a while back when they were BMW motorcycles of Orlando and were affiliated with BMW motorcycles of Daytona where I bought mine. Another dealer if you don't mind travelling is Motorcycle Enthusiasts in Spring Hill, FL.
I have been to the one in Spring Hill.

The owners of the dealerships in Daytona Beach and Orlando had severe family illness and the dealerships went down hill. They lost Triumph and KTM. They sold the dealerships. The new owners appear to be doing a really good job of reviving the two dealerships. They have gotten Triumph back. They have opened a branch of the Orlando dealership in the Ace Cafe in downtown Orlando. That is how I discovered the dealership was back. I bought my Tiger from the Orlando dealership back in 2011.

Linkdog

Riding for 12 Years
Local time
First Name
Kevin
My Ride
2010 Thunderbird 1600
I heard that was to happen, the last time I checked Triumph was not there. Good to hear, what's Ace without Triumph?

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I heard that was to happen, the last time I checked Triumph was not there. Good to hear, what's Ace without Triumph?
Spot on! TUP Now Triumphs are on the showroom floor at Ace.

dearborn

Local time
First Name
Doug
My Ride
SAFTIE; Just no real support from Triumph for Hinckley Triples. Some new aftermarket stuff starting to come up- hoses, etc, but basically, you're looking at used EBay stuff. I LOVE my '96 Thunderbird, was slid down road on LH side, during re-build went for some up grades-Kaw ZX9 rear susp., Dynojet carbs, braided stainless brake/clutch lines, RaceTech front end, "green" cams, etc, etc. along with a handful of used EBay parts. Runs GREAT, looks cool, fast enough, stops good, comfortable, though stock seat has hard spot that gets you right in the "personality" and Corbin is like sitting on plywood. Of the 30-40 bikes I've owned this is one of my top 3 all around favorites. Best part? Traded a bike I got free for it

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom