Cooling System

Tickymonks

Local time
Today, 17:27
First Name
Mick
My Ride
Triumph adventurer
I’ve noticed I’ve got a leak by pump either pipe or gasket , it’s not coming from seep hole, anyway was thinking of fitting silicone hoses as anyone fitted these? They seem thicker so my concern is mainly the one that goes up the back of the engine between carbs

B25bsaboy

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Today, 10:27
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
I’ve noticed I’ve got a leak by pump either pipe or gasket , it’s not coming from seep hole, anyway was thinking of fitting silicone hoses as anyone fitted these? They seem thicker so my concern is mainly the one that goes up the back of the engine between carbs
Good day Trickymonks, Question for you and that is the bike in winter storage? Or are you ridin it year round?

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
Today, 09:27
My Ride
2002 America.
My take on this is I prefer rubber. Silicone is much more slippery. I would be concerned it might slip off if not clamped very tight. I make sure to get the proper 8mm size [not the US size]. Wall thickness is not an issue. There is no high pressure. This is a gravity feed system. …J.D.

Tickymonks

Local time
First Name
Mick
My Ride
Triumph adventurer
My take on this is I prefer rubber. Silicone is much more slippery. I would be concerned it might slip off if not clamped very tight. I make sure to get the proper 8mm size [not the US size]. Wall thickness is not an issue. There is no high pressure. This is a gravity feed system. …J.D.
Thanks, I wasn’t too keen on fitting silicone, sourced a used pump , bought two seal sets for pumps and a new internal seal

B25bsaboy

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Today, 10:27
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
Thanks, I wasn’t too keen on fitting silicone, sourced a used pump , bought two seal sets for pumps and a new internal seal
Good day Tickymonks, the reason I asked the question is that in the cooler month’s when our bikes are in cold storage the aluminum shrinks thus we will have anti-freeze leakage! I had this problem on my cylinder head gasket on my 2001 Trophy 1200 and it always weeped! Come spring/summer/fall dry as a bone.
Also using silicon gasket material may work to a point but I for one refuse to us any material such as this. Closest thing I always use is a grease designed for o-rings which is tacky as H#*l

Tickymonks

Local time
First Name
Mick
My Ride
Triumph adventurer
More or less sorted new jubilee clips water pump seals etc , get the odd spot of coolant out of one of pipes illl live with that rather than try qnd tighten and split pipe , thanks all for your comments

Gogreen

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
First Name
Phil
My Ride
Thunderbird Sport; T140D
I fit new hoses, these bikes are at least 20 years old now and no hose lasts forever. Silicone rubber is just fine, make sure you use the narrower type hose clips, I often re-use the ofiginals after cleaning and lubricating. The pumps becone corroded and the seals leak, kits are available from Spring Engineering, Triumph are out of stock fo some cooling parts now.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom