1995 Thunderbird
Local time
Today, 18:55
First Name
Garry
My Ride
1995 Thunderbird 900
Riding Since
OK, Has anybody out there ever fitted a Corbin King & Queen seat to this bike that has a grab rail fitted. I've looked on the Corbin website and it clearly states that this seat will fit with the standard Triumph grab rail, but if you look at the picture of the seat it seems to almost be touching the rear light, and judging by the picture there's no way that you could fit that seat on with the grab rail.
if anyone has fitted this seat to their bike with the grab rail, do you think when you have time that you could post a picture for us, so I can satisfy myself before I off load £ 300

Seat.jpg Thanks

Contact Corbin and ask them. Maybe the seat goes through the grab rail. I don't know how wide the grab rail is.

The seat look very nice but I can see what you saying here

Took your advice Carl, I contacted Corbin direct, and to my surprise they said that the seat will not work with the Triumph grab rail, which goes against their website advice ( first line ).
Anyway at least they got back in touch with me before I offloaded £300. Shame really as Corbin have such a good name.

Last edited:
Some people love the Corbin seats and some hate them! (?)
I put one on an 1989 H**a Hawk I bought in 1992 and I loved it.
It's still on the bike and the current owner loves it too.
This is the bike I'm referring to.

Honda Hawk NT650.jpg

Glad you got in contact them before you wasted your money. Now you know. You might see if Sargent has something that fits. I like the Sargent seats better than the Corbins and I have had both. I currently have a Sargent on my 800XC.

The Corbin I bought was hard as a ROCK!

Everyone told me it took time to soften-up. After about 2 years, it was just as hard as the day I installed it.

I sold it for 3/4th the price of it new. And my butt never forgave me for two years of soreness!

It's amazing how you perceive a product and how you think that it will automatically be good. Seats are always going to be a hard ( No pun intended ) choice to make. I have since found this company in England http://www.saddlecraft.com/index.php they do a lot of work on classic bikes by the looks of things, and at the fraction of the cost of a new Corbin seat. When I get back to England and I eventually get round to doing something, I'll post the comfort results here. Thanks for your inbutt ( Couldn't resist that :y2: )

Here's a pic of the rock hard Corbin on my Trophy. It looked great, but looks are only skin deep:

uploadfromtaptalk1372773782262.jpg

Posted with TapaTalk

I think that's the main complaint about the Corbin seats, they are hard and never break in.
Mine was not hard, but it was firm and remained that way pretty well all the time I had the bike - 9 years.
Even so, I rode it on many day trips and many overnighters and it was fine for me.

OK, Has anybody out there ever fitted a Corbin King & Queen seat to this bike that has a grab rail fitted. I've looked on the Corbin website and it clearly states that this seat will fit with the standard Triumph grab rail, but if you look at the picture of the seat it seems to almost be touching the rear light, and judging by the picture there's no way that you could fit that seat on with the grab rail.
if anyone has fitted this seat to their bike with the grab rail, do you think when you have time that you could post a picture for us, so I can satisfy myself before I off load £ 300

View attachment 12714 Thanks
I have a '96 Tbird with this seat fitted. It will fit with stock grab bar, but the rear of the seat is VERY close to the bar and only very small hands of your passenger will be able to fit. The Corbin is an improvement over the hard, stock seat, (which may have been "modified" by a previous owner), but it too, is quite hard and you are pretty much locked in one position. My 90lb daughter reports that pillion of Corbin seat is better than stock seat, also, but doesn't like not being able to grasp grab bar. I don't see how you could fit the Corbin backrest with the grab bar in place

Hi there Doug, thanks for that info, I've recently fitted a gel pad to my DR350 Gel Seat For Dr 350 and also on top of the gel pad, some carpet underlay, and it seems to be working just fine, I may now try the same thing with my Thunderbird King and Queen seat. The only thing that's putting me off is the buttons on the seat, they're riveted down as you'll more than likely know, so I'm going to try and find another way to re fit them, if I go ahead and do the same to my seat as the DR.
If you get time do you think that you might be able to post a picture of your seat.
By the way

:y151:andWELCOMEto the forum from across the pond. I hope that you'll enjoy it here.

Hi there Doug, thanks for that info, I've recently fitted a gel pad to my DR350 Gel Seat For Dr 350 and also on top of the gel pad, some carpet underlay, and it seems to be working just fine, I may now try the same thing with my Thunderbird King and Queen seat. The only thing that's putting me off is the buttons on the seat, they're riveted down as you'll more than likely know, so I'm going to try and find another way to re fit them, if I go ahead and do the same to my seat as the DR.
If you get time do you think that you might be able to post a picture of your seat.
By the way

:y151:andWELCOMEto the forum from across the pond. I hope that you'll enjoy it here.
I have the EXACT same Corbin seat as the one pictured, even with the red piping! Hard as a rock, (had Corbin on '83 BMW R100RS- came with the bike-swapped for the OEM seat.), but OK for 100 miles plus. BUT- I have lower, flatter, "superbike bend" 'bars with some old Gold Wing rises which moved the 'bars up and back about 25mm each way and even with this set-up, the Corbin moves me too far back to my taste. So, using OEM seat with 20mm gel pad installed under cover- but still uncomfortable after an hour or so. Plastic seat pan has thin padding right under pelvic bone- right where butt cheeks rest on seat, so more modifications to follow. Been eyeing some "Army surplus" foam ground pads for tent camping- about 15mm thick, closed cell, firmness seems about right when layered. Next project!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom