Suzuki Could Suzuki Bring a DR Big Based on the V-Strom 1000 to Market?

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 45 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 22:28
Jan 5, 2006
Port Elizabeth
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Rumors Suggest It Is So​

Suzuki looks like it could soon be battling in the upper-middle-class adventure segment of the market. The bikemaker could revive the DR Big name with a bike based on the V-Strom 1000. According to DriveMag Riders, word on the street is that the model will come with 100 hp and be more off-road oriented than the V-Strom.

DriveMag Riders cites information from a Spanish publication called Trailriders. In that article, the DR Big is suggested as an alternative to Honda’s Africa Twin, BMW’s GS 850, or Triumph’s Tiger 800. It honestly doesn’t sound like too bad of an idea. Suzuki has a formidable base in the V-Strom 1000. With some minor updates and changes, the model could be turned into a monster of an adventure bike, or the next DR Big.

Suzuki’s current V-Strom 1000 comes with a 1,037cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine. Many customers and critics like the V-Strom 1000. Many regard it as more of a street machine than an off-roader. For many adventure riders, it offers enough capability. However, most hardcore off-road riders will shop around for a different bike. Suzuki took steps to make the bike more capable, but it’s still no monster off-road.

Image from Suzuki

The DR Big would be Suzuki’s chance to let the V-Strom 1000 reach its true off-road potential. According to the rumors, the bike will come with spoked wheels, a 20-liter (about 5.3 gallons) fuel tank, higher ground clearance, and ABS you can switch off for off-road use. The bike rumored will use the V-Strom’s frame, but hopefully, it will be made of a lightweight material like aluminum. This will help keep it easily maneuverable off-road.

If the rumors are true, Suzuki could have a winner on its hands. The adventure segment of the motorcycle industry is pretty hot right now, and it makes sense for the company to offer something to compete with the other powerful, off-road-focused adventure bikes out there. A new DR Big could be a big deal for the company.

The post Could Suzuki Bring a DR Big Based on the V-Strom 1000 to Market? appeared first on Web Bike World.

Source...

Qship

Enjoy YOUR ride
Riding for 38 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 16:28
Feb 25, 2014
Near Fredericton, New Brunswick.
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'14 Thunderbird LT
Adventure market is THE hot market right now, so why not?
Suzuki may as well get in on the action too.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 26 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 16:28
Jan 28, 2006
Halifax
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Suzuki makes a good product TUP

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 42 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 20:28
Apr 5, 2011
Turriff, Aberdeenshire
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
2005 sprint st 1050
Ive been a suzuki fan since before i left school and have owned many of there models and have one now , they build good quality bikes at a very good price and probably the cheapest of all the big manufacturers .
Some would say there not as good quality as some of the other brands but then again the others can't touch them on price !

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 39 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 14:28
Mar 24, 2009
The SWAMP
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
GO BIG ZOOK!!!!
I too have owned many Suzukis over the years-- never a lick of trouble out of a single one-- well made good bikes--