Arrowbear rider

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 21:20
First Name
Marcus
My Ride
2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander
After posting on the post regarding finding a seat back (and the overall lack of parts) and saying I'm tempted to buy a second bike for future parts, and any parts I may not have been able to get, I did a search on Thunderbirds for sell in the U.S. and the asking prices seem to have gone up since I last checked, is that because summer is near and sells go up this time of year, are the becoming rare? or are they being realistic in their pricing? What do you guys think?

Because I bought my bike with 805 miles 2 years ago for $5700 (+tax & lic.) and I'm seeing more than that for bikes with 20K on the ODO.

I did get the dealer at a good time, the bike had been in inventory long enough and I was able to use that & Triumph's small dealer network & yada, yada, things a non Triumph rider would say... and some of us too. My offer was taken less then an hour after I left the dealer, they wanted $7,000 down from $7,998 when they first listed it. The next fall, when sells go down due to winter coming, I saw a couple of loaded bikes with about 7K- 16K on the ODO for around $5,000 - $5,500. So, have the prices actually risen?

At what price would you consider buy a second bike for future spare parts?

I recently had dealer look up a stock replacement seat for a leather project and there are none available that he could find.

Or

Do we just ride and enjoy these great bikes until there are no parts... and ride them into the proverbial ground and be done?

Xavier

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
First Name
Xavier
My Ride
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm w/ ABS
After posting on the post regarding finding a seat back (and the overall lack of parts) and saying I'm tempted to buy a second bike for future parts, and any parts I may not have been able to get, I did a search on Thunderbirds for sell in the U.S. and the asking prices seem to have gone up since I last checked, is that because summer is near and sells go up this time of year, are the becoming rare? or are they being realistic in their pricing? What do you guys think?

Because I bought my bike with 805 miles 2 years ago for $5700 (+tax & lic.) and I'm seeing more than that for bikes with 20K on the ODO.

I did get the dealer at a good time, the bike had been in inventory long enough and I was able to use that & Triumph's small dealer network & yada, yada, things a non Triumph rider would say... and some of us too. My offer was taken less then an hour after I left the dealer, they wanted $7,000 down from $7,998 when they first listed it. The next fall, when sells go down due to winter coming, I saw a couple of loaded bikes with about 7K- 16K on the ODO for around $5,000 - $5,500. So, have the prices actually risen?

At what price would you consider buy a second bike for future spare parts?

I recently had dealer look up a stock replacement seat for a leather project and there are none available that he could find.

Or

Do we just ride and enjoy these great bikes until there are no parts... and ride them into the proverbial ground and be done?
There’s always a boneyard somewhere. I can stills find parts for a ‘72 Tiger.
As for current prices, there’s a lotta handful of gimme & a mouthful of much obliged.
I currently have my 2012 Storm listed for a fair price and only a few bites.
So, I’ll keep it. It’s a great bike but I’m getting older.

dazco

Local time
I've been seeing the same thing. I've been contemplating selling mine partially because of the parts issue with the bike being discontinued. A parts bike is a pretty good idea but at this point i don't see any in a price range that would make that a viable option. I was seeing deals like a 2010 like mine in mint condition with 5k miles for $5k. Noiw the only ones i see in that price range are actually a little higher and have 30 or 40k on them or more. Crazy deal on such a great bike. But no more. I haven't seen anything near that good in months. I think maybe the best way to go is hit ebay and buy every part u can fond that is a part that is likely to break or wear to the point u will surely need to replace it eventually....belt, cush drive, clutch plates, etc.

Linkdog

Riding for 13 Years
Local time
Today, 00:20
First Name
Kevin
My Ride
2010 Thunderbird 1600
I don't know the name of the place, but there's a bone yard in Melbourne, FL. that a few members on the 1600 site that has bought parts.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom