Triumph Thunderbird-95
Hi

I have a triumph thunderbird-from 95

Looks desperately for a suggestion think that I have tried all :

Have done the following
  • Changed the valve gasket
  • Restored the carburators
  • Checked the ignition coils
  • The spark is firing (when checked externally)
Any tip welcomed

Terrypsmith

Riding for 13 Years
Local time
Today, 04:53
First Name
Terry
My Ride
Thunderbird
Hi did you manage to solve this problem if so can you please update me as I have a similar problem. Cheers

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 20:53
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Hold your mouse pointer over the member's name and you can see when they joined, along with the last time they were here.

I don't think he will answer you, but hopefully someone else will.

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
My Ride
2002 America, 2000 Legend, 1995 Sprint
I'll have a go at this. I haven't been as active on this forum lately. Firstly, I would move it's coil to a different cylinder. If the problem moves to the other cylinder replace the coil. You could also do the same with the plug wire. Secondly, check the wiring on #1 cylinder. Make sure nothing is reversed. Keep in mind, your tachometer runs off of #1. I have seen times when you get that "wacky tachometer" syndrome when there are ignition problems with the #1 cylinder. I know I did not give you much to go on, but I hope this will help. Happy hunting. ...J.D.

Terrypsmith

Riding for 13 Years
Local time
First Name
Terry
My Ride
Thunderbird
Cheers guys I'll try swapping the coils over and come back to you but won't be until next weekend. I'm starting to think it may be fuel related. No 1 exhaust is cold on tick over although does get heat it in it if I build up the refs, hence idle jet may be blocked. Also number three cylinder is running rich(grey smoke) from exhaust. Tacho shouldn't be related but who knows, I'll investigate further next weekend.

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
My Ride
Been tinkering with these old T-3s for 18 years now [I currently own 2]. In my experience, the problems are more often ignition than fuel. The tachometer issue is usually more of a symtom than it is the problem itself. You may also want to check for a tight valve on that cylinder. ...J.D.

Terrypsmith

Riding for 13 Years
Local time
First Name
Terry
My Ride
Thunderbird
Been tinkering with these old T-3s for 18 years now [I currently own 2]. In my experience, the problems are more often ignition than fuel. The tachometer issue is usually more of a symtom than it is the problem itself. You may also want to check for a tight valve on that cylinder. ...J.D.
Thanks for the tip. I've managed to get it running on all three today, I was unable to work out exactly what was the cause, but the tacho is not working and its not idling as well as I would like. I also have a light grey smoke coming out of one exhausts even when warm. So I think it's a combination of electrical and fuel. I cant be sure but I think the electrical issue was a poor connection between the ignitor and the loom, although the connections at the coils were not as tight and clean as they should have been. To check it out I removed the lid on the ignitor and check there was power going to the red connection, then checked continuity to the coil positive wires and then confirmed power was reaching the coils. With the ignition off I checked continuity between the the negative coil connectors and the the corresponding connections on the ignitor board. Following that I checked the coil primary and secondary coils and changed the plugs. One coil may be on way out so I've ordered a replacement. The plugs I removed were very wet indicating its flooding, although the plug gaps were not set right and were too small. Long and short of it is its running and I'll look at tacho and balance carbs next weekend. I'll get there. :)

Wire-Wheels

Riding for 51 Years
Local time
My Ride
Sounds like you are getting it sorted. Maybe it is just me, but my experience with these bikes is the ignition coils do not last very long. People put expensive coil on them. I have found that unnecessary. Any new, correct coil will be fine. As soon as this happens, if you don't know the history on the bike, my feeling is to replace all three coils. Just saves further aggravation. I have always suspected the coils get too hot where they are located. A lot of the issues blamed on carburetor trouble on these bikes is really poor ignition. Just one old retired mechanic's opinion. ...J.D.

Terrypsmith

Riding for 13 Years
Local time
First Name
Terry
My Ride
Thunderbird
Sounds like you are getting it sorted. Maybe it is just me, but my experience with these bikes is the ignition coils do not last very long. People put expensive coil on them. I have found that unnecessary. Any new, correct coil will be fine. As soon as this happens, if you don't know the history on the bike, my feeling is to replace all three coils. Just saves further aggravation. I have always suspected the coils get too hot where they are located. A lot of the issues blamed on carburetor trouble on these bikes is really poor ignition. Just one old retired mechanic's opinion. ...J.D.

Terrypsmith

Riding for 13 Years
Local time
First Name
Terry
My Ride
Thunderbird
You may be right although it does appear to be running very rich at idle, hence I thinking it might be worthwhile overhauling the carbs anyway. I'll balance the carbs at the weekend and see if that makes any improvement, but will also change the coils as well. Thanks for the tip very much appreciated.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom