Staff
Local time
Today, 03:20
First Name
Carl
My Ride
2020 Bonneville T120 Black
Riding Since
Today Bud, Alan and I rode to the Daytona International Speedway. Here the manufacturers set up displays and offer demo rides. Bike racers are also held here. Jim attended the race and, unfortunately, we did not get to hook up.Triumph did not have their demo truck at the track and since there is no longer a dealership in Daytona Beach, there was no demo truck at bike week. Many third party vendors also set up at the speedway. One can see almost every kind of bike under the sun as well as the lates offerings from the manufacturers.

Bike week extends over the greater Daytona Beach area, not just at the speedway. There are various swap meets, activities at the dealerships. There is a crossroads about 15 miles from Daytona Beach known as the Cabbage Patch. This is the wilder side of Bike Week. A lot of private vendors set up here and various events are held here. The most notorious event is cole slaw wrestling. You g ladies in bkinis get in a big pit of cole slaw and wrestle.

Anyway here is just a sample of what we saw today.

This is a Polaris Slingshot. It is a three wheeler and has a steering wheel. The single rear wheel is the drive wheel. Slingshot : Open-air Roadster - 3 Wheel Motorcycle | Polaris

Indian display. Indian has some gorgeous bikes! TGhis is the Scout,

More Indians.Please excuse the finger. I was not giving anyone the finger!

This is a Yamaha Niken. I had not seen one before. It is for advanced riders giving increased stability in the twisties or carving canyon roads, I was tols you can lean 45 degfress with this bike due to the increased stability. Someone near the Tail of the Dragon on North Carolina bought nine of them and rents them.. When I get to NC this spring, I'm going to rent one ans see how it does in mountains.

Another new bike to me is this Motus MLSTR. It is an American made 1650cc V4, 180 horsepower, 126 ft-lb of torque. Ride-by-wire. Lightweight aluminum. Low maintenance, self-adjusting valvetrain, liquid and oil cooled. The one in the photo is privately owned.

Since we were at a NASCAR track, one would expect to see a NASCAR racer.

Someone put the pledge of allegiance to the American flag on their fairing,

This custom bike has transparent valve covers. You can clearly see the valves. Keeping them clean must be a chore!

I will post more including pics of my favorite set of wheels at the show.

Attachments

• Daytona_International_Speedway_(air).jpeg.jpeg
    Daytona_International_Speedway_(air).jpeg.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Daytona-International-Speedway.jpg
    Daytona-International-Speedway.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 0
  • cole slaw wrestling.jpg
    cole slaw wrestling.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
More from Bike Week. We came across a three wheeler I had never seen nor heard of before. They are made by Vanderhall Motor Works which is based in Provo, Utah. Vanderhall Motor Works

Vanderhall makes three models: Venice, Carmel, and Edison. There are four variations of Venice, including a single seat model, and two of the Edison. The engine is a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder turbo. Engine and front wheel drive train are made by General Motors. The literature says the engine produces 200 hp and 203 ft lbs of torque. Dry weight is 1375 lbs/624 kg. Curb weight of the Carmel (my favorite) is 1595 lbs/723 kg. Either way, that gives a fantastic weight to hp ratio.

Tranny is a 6 speed auto-manual, There is no clutch. I saw paddle shifters on the steering wheel and a stick shifter mounted on the left sill. There is no true manual tranny.

It has a cabin heater and heated seats. I would really like to won one of these. I did find used ones on the market on Craigs List. There is a dealer in Orlando. Triumph doesn't even have a dealer in Orlando!

This is the Venice as is the one below.

Below is the Carmel. It has suicide doors where the other modles require you to climb in like a hack.

Interesting rig.

That backrest does not look very invitinmg!

Frame is carbon fiber with oil in the frame ala the 70's Trijumphs43690

Frame is carbon fiber with oil in the frame reminiscent of the 70's Triumphs, Lots of aluminum billet.

We had a good day at Daytona.

Great post Carl! I love seeing all the weird and wonderful machines TUP TUP

Great post Carl! I love seeing all the weird and wonderful machines TUPTUP
Thank you, Rocky. That is exactly what I like about bike week, the new, the wierd, and the wonderful. People watching is fun, too,

I have only ever seen bike week on TV, and yes, there are, ahem, some "odd" people there. People watching must be a riot BGRIN

Thanks for sharing Carl. Great to see all the great stuff they have at Daytona.

Carl what you have posted, all on the new ideas and unusual stuff is the best thing about bike week, and i do like cold slaw!

I have only ever seen bike week on TV, and yes, there are, ahem, some "odd" people there. People watching must be a riot BGRIN
Rocky you are being very diplomatic!! BGRIN

Thanks for sharing Carl. Great to see all the great stuff they have at Daytona.
You are welcome. What I posted is only a very small sample what one sees at bike week.

Carl what you have posted, all on the new ideas and unusual stuff is the best thing about bike week, and i do like cold slaw!
I agree with you on all points! BGRIN
You should see how they make the cole slaw for the wrestling. They have a dump truck load of cabbage heads and a shredder like the tree trimmers use to shred branches. The dump truck dumps the cabbage into the shredder and the shredder blows the shredded cabbage into the wrestling pit.

That just goes to show that two of the best things in life to watch always deals with food and sports!!!!
BGRIN

Oh, well...……..that's what I get for sitting and watching the races!
Jim

Bike Week started from motorcycle racing and grew to what it is today. It is primarily Harley oriented and, as a result, metric V-twin oriented. The majority of vendors cater to HD and metric twin customers. That said, over the last 20 years, you see more and more sport bikes, adventure bike and touring bikes. HD dominates the scene; but you can see most any kind of bike there is.

Bike week has four main areas:
1. The International Speedway where the races occur, the manufacturers set up their displays and offer demo rides, and high quality 3rd party vendors set up. Almost adjacent to the Speedway is the Daytona Beach Flea Market. Here a big motorcycle swap meet sets up. It is primarily HD oriented.

2. Daytona Beach Main Street. This is a strip of downtown that that is filled with bars, motorcycle vendors, live music and restaurants. This is a great place for people watching.

3. Destination Daytona. This is the HD Dealership complex which includes restaurants, apartments and third party dealers such as JP Cycles Vendors also set up here. Destination Daytona is located north of Daytona proper,.

4. The Cabbage Patch as described above. Cole Slaw!

Bike Week is worth attended once just to experience it.

Jim, races are good!

I was sad to hear that the Triumph co. did not "show up" at Daytona, i think that they even coped out of the vintage weekend at Birmingham, Al last year. anybody know what is going with their advertising dept. Things like that will sure hurt sales!

I was sad to hear that the Triumph co. did not "show up" at Daytona, i think that they even coped out of the vintage weekend at Birmingham, Al last year. anybody know what is going with their advertising dept. Things like that will sure hurt sales!
I was not aware that Triumph did not show up for the Vintage Weekend at Barber. I wonder if they were at mid Ohio?

The Triumph demo truck has not been at Daytona for the last three or four years. They quit going to the speedway and based at the dealership for three years. The dealership dropped Triumph and Triumph has not been to Daytona since. In Triumph's defense the Honda Demo truck no longer sets up at the track. They do set up their static display. Their demo truck sets up at the dealership in Deland. Can Am did not set up at the the Speedway this year.

The trend seems to be to set up at the local dealerships. A representative for a major non-American manufacturer is an MSTA member. He attended the luncheon at the 1884 restaurant in Eustis. He told me that his manufacturer opted not to set up at the speedway because -
(1) The cost, The Daytona International Speedway Corp is darned expensive. Obviously, manufacturers can set up for free at their dealerships.
(2) Demo rides must get out on International Speedway Blvd (US 92) to exit the the speedway property. Because of traffic, a 30 minute demo ride will spend 15 minutes in heavy traffic..
(3) Apparently, the speedway will not cooperate with laying out a demo course on speedway property. Cost prohibitive? Allegedly the speedway corp is not motorcycle friendly. I do notice the vintage motorcycle races are no longer heald at the speedway. Again, $$$$?

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom