Dead(ish) Scrambler 1200 XC

Dr Joe

Local time
Today, 16:08
First Name
Joe
My Ride
Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC
I put 2" Rox Risers risers on the 1200 XC. Easy job, took 10 minutes total. I have put risers on bikes a couple of times in the past. When I was all done the bike would not start. I got the headlight and dash lights, but no gear indicator, no fuel pump noise and it would not start. I was super careful not to pull on the cables, and they were pretty loose. I check the connections as best I could (my XC has the Escape Kit, and the hand protector clamp is screwed in so close to the wiring, it causes the wiring to be deflected.

Odd thing, is that as I lower the bars (tilt them down), I get the fuel pump, and a little lower and everything is back to working and the bike starts fine. I messed with this for an hour. One degree down and all is good, one degree up and it won't start. Once it is running I can move them anywhere and the bike will not stall. But if I shut it off, it won't start unless the bars are tiled a certain way. I did notice two tiny wires going into the throttle and the black sheath was pulled back, but to exposed wire, just insulated wire with the sheath pulled back. I thought maybe this was a tip sensor or something.

Frustrating as hell, because I had the handlebars in a really sweet spot and was excited to try them out for a ride. Ultimately, I kept the risers on, in a position that is not ideal , but at least the damn bike starts.

Anyone have any ideas????

Hmmmm. That is odd. Checked all connections? The bike may ground through the clamps and only time there's a good ground is in the position you have them now. Try a jumper wire from handlebars to good ground when it acts up.

Yes. Checked all connections as best as I could. The clamps they have bolted for the grip protector/mirrors assembly and brake on the right are tight up against the wiring. Wondering if the grip guards were made for the XE and an afterthought on the smaller handlebars of the XC. I took the constricting band off the cables when installing the risers. The cables do not seem tight. I am stumped. Dealer called me back and is going to take a look next week.

Please let us know what you find.

Going in on Tuesday. As I get to know the bike a bit more, I doubt that the gear shift indicator showing dashes had anything to do with the failed start up. I notice with this bike, that if I put it in neutral after I stop, sometimes when I go to start it up next time I just see dashes on the gear indicator, and I can't put the bike into gear without rocking it a bit. Not a big deal... anyone else notice that? I've ridden Harleys with that problem... try even putting a Harley in Neutral once you have stopped. So, I think that confused me and I attributed it to the same cause as the failed start.

The problem was due to a partially unseated clutch wire in the handlebar grip. Maybe associated with the risers. The guys at Baxter's Cycle in Iowa were really great to work with. I took it to them today for 1st service and they isolated the problem in two minutes. They then let me observe as they spent the time to take the unit apart and make sure everything was seated perfectly and the bars were where I wanted them. Jeremy is a terrific guy to work with. They love their bikes.

It is always great when you have a dealer like this, as some won't allow you into the workshop and refuse to tell you the full story of what they found when they fix it.

Thank you for letting us know what you found. It is certainly possible that wnen installing the risers that the wire got pulled loose. The folks at Baxter Cycles are great, helpful and knowledgeable. I have done business with them and bought parts from them. Their restoration work is superb.

A great ending to the story TUP TUP

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom