Did You Consider A Moto Guzzi Before You Got Your Bonnie?

Oz-Man

Local time
Today, 03:20
First Name
Tim
My Ride
2016 Versys 1000
I'm drawn to both, but leaning more towards the Bonnie if nothing more than my first car was a Triumph TR250.

So, did you consider the Guzzi, or have one before? If so, what settled it in your mind?

Oz

I don't have a Bonnie but I did consider a Guzzi before I purchased my first Tiger. A co-worker had an older Guzzi police bike that I enjoyed riding. I decided against it when he had a problem and had to wait about 2 1/2 months for a part to get it back in the road. I forget what he needed but it was a common part. Due to the limited availability of parts in this neck of the woods I decided against the Guzzi and haven't regretted it one bit.

No, I didn't even think about Guzzi at all.
There is no dealer in this province anyway, but it's not a model I have any interest in. I've never had any interest in any Italian bikes.
A friend has a new Guzzi and it runs very well, but he is having a bit of a problem with the switch gear. Getting parts are a real problem and he's thinking of parting with it.

No. Guzzi also has its charm but certainly with this type of engine, personal preference certainly plays a role. And I have been driving Triumph for 20 years :giggle:

I have a Guzzi (V7 Classic) and just bought a 2018 T120...... I found that I had to be in a certain frame of mind to take out the Goose...... The Bonne satisfies every time I ride it.

Ive had a couple of guzzi's and like them a lot but ive not had a bonnie to compare , but i will say that the guzzi's are an acquired taste in that there quite agricultural to ride .

Yes.
I went to buy a V7III but the T120 was right next to it. I rode both and came home with the Triumph.
I really like the T120 and riding it daily as well as long trips. I have the electric cruise control, and Triumph nylon bags.
I fear I may have to get that new Moto Guzzi V7 Milan. It's much lighter, no radiator, and shaft drive. Doesn't need an X-pipe.

Yes, I did consider the Moto Guzzi. I like it a lot and know some people who ride them and are happy. I think it's quite a decent bike for the money,

However, I saw a video on youtube comparing it to other bikes and the bloody thing broke down in the video! So that was the kiss of death for me. Also, the Bonnie is a much better bike on paper and on the road, I believe.

Yes, I did consider the Moto Guzzi. I like it a lot and know some people who ride them and are happy. I think it's quite a decent bike for the money,

However, I saw a video on youtube comparing it to other bikes and the bloody thing broke down in the video! So that was the kiss of death for me. Also, the Bonnie is a much better bike on paper and on the road, I believe.

Hey there new to this forum. Thought I'd respond. I have an '18 cranberry/ white t120 set up for long distance & an '18 MG V7III Carbon Shine set up for day/wknd rides although with bags I'd ride it anywhere w/o a 2nd thought. Five wide range of MG's with no issues so far. MG's feel like no other bike. If you like them you'll always have one.The power & cruise control of the t120 out here in western Nv where most speeds are 75+ for long distances is preferred. The V7 is tighter/lighter & more fun on tight roads.
The T120 & BMW's K75 are the easiest, pleasing rides I've ridden of 65 I've had plus rides on friends.
The proverbial apple & orange.

I did and I bought the Guzzi and rode it for 168 thousand miles over a period of 25 years. Would still have it except for the Hurricane took it from me..I still rode my Triumph and BSA lightening … If you are waiting for the Guzzi to wipe your nose or any other little manly problem you have ,,,, Won't happen..Sorry about that.. But you can plow the roads with it for life with regular maintainence ,,at least that's the way I felt. Saturday mornings were kept for Triumph and BSA tune-ups mostly for the love but the Guzzi went 80 thousand miles before I finally found the points. It took a Honda VTX 1800r to settle my loss. But times on my 64 triumph and 68 BSA lightening will never be equaled. Guzzi was for business,, the Brit bikes were for Joy... Wes

I have a guzzi stelvio 1200 which i bought instead of a tiger 1200 and im glad i did i love the thing and it was half the price with full alloy luggage as standard .

So6C8kDmRGuoJ5%nfcAwvw.jpg

I'm drawn to both, but leaning more towards the Bonnie if nothing more than my first car was a Triumph TR250.

So, did you consider the Guzzi, or have one before? If so, what settled it in your mind?

Oz
Yes, absolutely. BMW R nine T, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Royal Enfield, etc. I thought of them all, but the Triumph won out.

I've ridden Guzzie's and I liked them. However parts are a problem. Though I do not currently have a Bonnie, I have been a Bonnie fan since the mid '60's.and recently sold my 2003.Bonnie.

Yes considered the V7, 3. For its light weight and price. But in the 60s my want as a kid a triumph bonneville or sportser. I bought a new 2018 T120. Not that interested in corner carving anymore and its power on the long trips i still do a big factor. With just under 6,000 miles on it now very pleased with it.

although Guzzis are nice i see parts + repairs are still issues as my friend noted years ago as a dealer!!

although Guzzis are nice i see parts + repairs are still issues as my friend noted years ago as a dealer!!

yes that is a problem with the very small manufacturer but I have to say if you can do a bit yourself , the MG is very easy to work on .

i DO all my own work so the stealer visits are rare + 2 hrs one way for a Guzzi dealer, but the issue is when the stealer cant get parts, so better have another ride!!

I had an 850 Moto Guzzi from 1984 until 2017. Put a couple of hundred thousand kilometers on it including a year long round Australia trip which included lots of rough dirt roads. Fantastic bike, easy to maintain and service. Except for the clutch which requires removing the engine from the frame. Never really had a problem getting parts for it either up until I sold it.

Attachments

• DSCF6700.JPG
    DSCF6700.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 5
The 850 was a very nice bike .... i had the 1994 lemans 1000 that was a great bike as well , but it did have a dead spot in the starter which for some reason only used to happen when you were parked on the flat .
Trying to jump start a 1000 twin on the flat is no fun !

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom