Doing Your Own Maintenance

John Bakker

Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
My Ride
2019 Street Scrambler
This is directed to those of you who do your own maintenance on the Street Scrambler. I'm waiting for my new 2019 to be ready for delivery next week and have been doing a lot of reading in the meantime. I have always done my own maintenance on all my bikes for the last 50 years and see no reason to stop now, especially since my dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. I read somewhere that the bike has a service warning light that comes on when it's time and that it requires a special tool to reset once maintenance is done. Anyone verify this and have you found a simple way to reset this warning light? Don't want a light flashing at me all the time. Are there any concerns about doing your own maintenance during the warranty period? Thanks for your input.

John Bakker

Local time
My Ride
2019 Street Scrambler
Dave & Carl, thanks for your replies. Wonder if I can get this dealer tool in Canada? Any links?
Cheers. John

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Dave & Carl, thanks for your replies. Wonder if I can get this dealer tool in Canada? Any links?
Cheers. John
I think it comes from Great Britain. I am not at home; so I don't have a link. Do an internet search and you will find it.

RockyDS

Local time
Yesterday, 20:57
My Ride
dualsport/adventure

brooke

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 23:57
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
Cheers. John
When Tigger was new ,one of my customers who runs a small auto repair shop was looking the bike over and asking a few guestions . I mentioned that the service symbol was showing and I like to reset it without the 5 hr trip to the dealer and back . He told me to take it over to his shop which I did . He plunged his auto scan tool into the tiger plug ,entered the year , make , model and deleted the icon .Of course it came back a year or so later and still remains on ..

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 46 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 04:57
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Yes, it is shipped from the UK. Cost for me was $131.43 Canadian through PayPal. Obviously exchange rates vary.

So is that price ok your side as I have no idea with our exchange rate as it now is.

RockyDS

Local time
My Ride
dualsport/adventure
So is that price ok your side as I have no idea with our exchange rate as it now is.
That was the total cost to me, shipped. I paid through PayPal and they skim by using their own exchange rates.

The Cdn$ to UKP rate has been fairly steady as both currencies have been tanking equally. lol.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 46 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 04:57
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Let us know how it works out for you once you have it.

scr1200xc

Riding for 33 Years
Local time
First Name
Bret
My Ride
Scrambler 1200 XC
I have a scrambler 1200 xc, and there is an option built right into the menu to reset the service interval. I had read about having to get the dealer to reset the maintenance due notification when I bought it, so I got TuneECU and a bluetooth ODBII reader, so I could reset it when it was needed. When I did the 500 mile service at home, I ran through the menus and found that I didn't even need TuneECU, and I could just reset it in the normal interface. I recommend checking the bike, maybe even ask the dealer; before you purchase a tool you may not need. Triumph built a self-service reset right into the scrambler 1200 in 2019, maybe they did the same for the street scram. tuneECU is cool because I can link up a custom dash via my phone and see interesting stuff not available through the triumph display while riding, and if I ever need to I can read codes, remap, etc... But at this point, the money would have been better spent on things I need like some new tires for the YZ250F or the tec ail tidy I will be putting on the scrambler as soon as they are availlable in the US.

RockyDS

Local time
My Ride
dualsport/adventure
I have a scrambler 1200 xc, and there is an option built right into the menu to reset the service interval. I
I'm not sure if you're 100% correct. I can set the service interval to a lower period - the default and maximum is 365 days but that doesn't reset the wrench/spanner symbol as far as I can tell.

scr1200xc

Riding for 33 Years
Local time
First Name
Bret
My Ride
Scrambler 1200 XC
I'm not sure if you're 100% correct. I can set the service interval to a lower period - the default and maximum is 365 days but that doesn't reset the wrench/spanner symbol as far as I can tell.
i am not 100% sure either. Darn you for making me doubt myself. ;)

All I know is that I reset mine in the menu to 365 days when I did my 500 mile service on 4/9/2019. I am pretty sure the wrench was lit when I did the 500 mile service, but I don't recall with 100% certainty that it ever lit up.

I performed a second premature pre-winter service on 11/16/2019 with 4,469 miles on it (I don't like used oil sitting in my bikes over the winter shutdown); and reset it for 365 again. I have had the bike since March of 2019, and am just under 5,500 miles on it, and the wrench isn't lit. I have TuneECU, but have not used it to reset the wrench. The light will come back on in another 4500 miles or in November, whichever comes first, at which time I'll know if it can be turned off with the menu. Until then I cannot be 100% certain because I don't remember if the light came on at 500 miles or not. That said, I can tell you with certainty that pushing the maintenance interval forward before the wrench lights up will prevent it from lighting up. If not, my light would have come back on 4/9/2020 (1 year from when I did the 500 miles service and reset it to 365 days).

RockyDS

Local time
My Ride
dualsport/adventure
i am not 100% sure either. Darn you for making me doubt myself. ;)
The owners handbook P.48 says the Service option is to review the service interval. There's nothing about resetting it.

I just tried it again on my bike. I still have the wrench lit. If it is possible to reset it and I figure it out, I'll get back to you.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom