keystiger

The Joker
Local time
Today, 05:24
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
O.K. I know this is an ongoing issue with Girlie owners. I am on windshield #3..... 1=stock, 2= factory "tall" and now MRA VArio...... while I have seen SOME improvement with each, I am still getting a great amount of wind noise and "head wobble" at speeds 60 and up.

The Vario is great for short rides......and hour or less.....but after that the neck muscles begin to ache....
the other 2 options where of no use out on the highway.....

HAs anyone tried the cee baileys? the real BIG one with the wide sections on either side?

Odd Triumph makes a TALL bike for TALL people and mounts a windshield that is not worth a hoot if you are over 5'10".......

Anyway before I throw more hard earned $ at this issue........I was hoping to get some feedback...

LEt me know!

Have you tried getting some clear aquarium tubing, splitting it and putting a length of it across the top of the windshield? That worked on my Bonnie's summer screen. I didn't glue it down; I just forced in on.

Interesting .....the MRA Vario comes with a rubber trim strip.....and an adjustable "wing" to direct air flow (in theory) over the riders head.......instead it seems to just create a huge area of disturbed air that causes the head to bobble around like one of those little ceramic dolls over 55 mph. If I "tuck" down, its quiet and wonderful......but hard to "tuck" for 2-3 hours ride.....maybe its built in anti speeding system?????? LoL

I have also heard of a mirror extension, puts the mirrors further out to take them out of the airflow equation. And increases view (removes the shoulders)

Maybe if I ad the tubing to the "wing" extension.......hhhhmmmm worth a shot an cheaper than a new shield.

It is definitely worth experimenting with - and much cheaper than a new wind screen.

Yep sure is :y18:

Thank you Sir. Will run some down and see what happens.........new project! :y115:

Let us know the results. It may not do anything for your windscreen.

Well Carl I tried a nice big CHUNK of fuel line split and run along the top of the "wing" of the Vario. It did make some difference at 70 and up. But still not what I would call acceptable for more than an hour ride. Maybe I am just gettin too old for the marathon runs.... :eek:h:

Dill, I have heard of a fellow actually CUTTING the stock shield down to the height of the fairing.....don't recall his results, but that would be the way to go (cost wise) I may break out the dremel next weekend....what do I have to lose....got 3 windshields sittin in the shed......and not thrilled with any of them. A little "meatball" surgery might just be the trick, not keen on a couple hundred bucks to "test" another shield from another company.......

I'm sorry the fuel line did not work for you. I am glad to learn it made a little difference. Dremel tool, here he comes!

Ketstiger is your helmet a new design? Older more round helmets cause more neck strain, newer aerodynamic helmets help a lot. I have a new Shoe that is quiet, comfortable and slippery.

You are right about that, Gary. My new helmet buffets much less than my old one.

Almost brand new SPARX (Arai knock off basically--actually a great helmet with LIFETIME crash replacement warranty :y115:) only a year old. I own 2 others made by KBC.....and yes I have tried all three, amazingly like you said the oldest creates the most neck strain....newest the least...... the turbulence rages on ! :ya2:

God Bless Advil!!!!

Riding a Speed Triple I get quite a blast over 110 mph, however since owning a proper fitting Shoei I must say that it made a lot of difference.

Also have you tried rotating the handle bars down a little, so you sit a little more forward and lower? You might only need an inch or two to get into the 'air bubble' to save your neck some.

0.02c

Thanks Avion, however, I have tried multiple bar settings.....including the bar risers.....I went from speed triple to Tiger.....and my neck NEVER gave me issues on the Triple. Knees and wrists where the issue....that and the fact my old ass was gonna get killed on that rocket.......but damn she was fun... :y115:

Had to get something a little more fitting my "age" i.e. arthritis.........

I have been contemplating 1 of 2 "fixes" either cutting the shield down (free) and buying a good shoie or aria helmet.......or getting the giant windscreen I found from an English company.........teetering on which is best....cost is about the same........and they have some real good sales right now on helmets........aaaarrrggghhh.........decisions I hate them......

I would opt for an option that you could always change back should it not work.
Any chance you could shave the seat some?

Let us know what you decide on.

I've had similar issues with my Tiger. I have a Laminar Lip on there now. Didn't think it did anything till I took it off. What it does is clean up the airflow....meaning it's a sharper line of air rather than swirling turbulent air. Still hits me mid visor however. I'm really thinking shorter might be the solution, possibly in conjunction with the LL to try to get the air to hit just below neck line and keep my helmet in clean, unprotected air. I think it would take a lot of windshield to totally protect my head and at that point starts to look like a GoldWing. I know when I stand at 60mph the noise and buffeting virtually disappears...at my helmet.

[quote author=Dilligaf link=topic=9595.msg47767#msg47767 date=1278810490]
A shorter shield = less turbulence.
[/quote]

This is very true .I am 6 ,3 and I find the standard screen perfect.People make the mistake of going bigger thinking it will split the air flow better.all it does is create more buffeting .I say at your height you would need to reduce the size of the standard screen by one inch off the top .I bet you will find a huge improvement.

If you don't want to cut your screen then get a cushion :ya2:

Farside had a girlie a while ago with the triumph sports screen, basically a cut down screen, just covering the actual fairing.
I rode his bike and there was no buffetting, so CUT it down.

I have the Vario screen on now, and after playing with settings on the "wing" portion I have found a setting that seems to work o.k. for daily commutes etc. I have not gotten around to the dremel tool and the stock shield yet, recently relocated and job changed and thats consumed my time but am still considering that and will post the results when I do. Also saw a guy who just runs sans windshield Claims its the best option........certainly the cheapest. :y18:
but looks sorta "weird" to say the least.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom