The Kiwi

Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:05
First Name
Mal
My Ride
06 Rocket 3, 97 Thunderbird 900
Over the last wee while I have been planning and amassing the required bits to fit a dual battery system to my Isuzu DMAX 4x4, it is an auto and with a dead battery, it is dead in the water.
So, while a mate was fitting the system to my truck, I wondered out loud if a similar set up could be fitted to my Rocket 111??

The second battery in my truck is portable and as most of my touring on the R111 includes a small trailer we setup the battery in the trailer.

The battery case is fitted with Anderson connectors from the isolator/Charger, solar input, 2x 50amp outlets for appliances etc, 2x cigarette outlets, 2x USB outlets and a voltmeter for the battery, all fitted into a plastic box with a lid.

Auxillary Battery in my truck
20190912_124231.jpg

Battery Isolator
20190910_163531.jpg

Inside trailer, secure fittings pending

Draw bar with lights and Battery connector
20190910_164001.jpg

Anderson plug
20190912_124245.jpg

Long story short, Yes!! A basic electronic Isolator at $60 AUD into the space where the air filter used to be, $50 roll of appropriate 100amp cable, a 60amp fuse and a couple of extra Anderson plugs.
A flat battery whilst traveling is now, hopefully, a thing of the past!!

Thanks for reading about my little project,

Mal the Kiwi.

Attachments

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 2 Years
Local time
Today, 10:05
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Well done. It's great to watch creative minds at work.

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 13:05
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
That is a cool project and a great idea! My diesel pickup has a factory installed dual battery system; but I had never thought of dual batteries for a bike. For a bike towing a trailer, it is a great idea. TUP

ChrisAnglophile

Riding for 52 Years
Banned
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:05
First Name
Chris
My Ride
T955i
Over the last wee while I have been planning and amassing the required bits to fit a dual battery system to my Isuzu DMAX 4x4, it is an auto and with a dead battery, it is dead in the water.
So, while a mate was fitting the system to my truck, I wondered out loud if a similar set up could be fitted to my Rocket 111??

The second battery in my truck is portable and as most of my touring on the R111 includes a small trailer we setup the battery in the trailer.

The battery case is fitted with Anderson connectors from the isolator/Charger, solar input, 2x 50amp outlets for appliances etc, 2x cigarette outlets, 2x USB outlets and a voltmeter for the battery, all fitted into a plastic box with a lid.

Auxillary Battery in my truck
View attachment 45580

Battery Isolator
View attachment 45578

Inside trailer, secure fittings pending

Draw bar with lights and Battery connector
View attachment 45584

Anderson plug
View attachment 45581

Long story short, Yes!! A basic electronic Isolator at $60 AUD into the space where the air filter used to be, $50 roll of appropriate 100amp cable, a 60amp fuse and a couple of extra Anderson plugs.
A flat battery whilst traveling is now, hopefully, a thing of the past!!

Thanks for reading about my little project,

Mal the Kiwi.
I don't know the output of the Alternator , but generally, its wise not to have big thick cable and big fuses permanently connected to a system.
I would want something about 15 Amp fused , doing the normal charging of the Paralleled up battery. The 100 Amp Anderson Plugs , I generally would leave disconnected , until the died circumstance, that you need it. There are also some pretty Dandy Coupling Devices out there , for alternative supplies , and with a Trailer , a small Solar Panel is Pretty Light. For when your stopped for a few days.
I think the idea is not to use the Bike Battery at all for Trailer Auxiliaries.
Just giving you something to think about.
It takes a lot of time to do what you have done.
√ √ √

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom