Engine Cuts Out After Throttle Blip

Penicuiker

Riding for 54 Years
Local time
Today, 05:09
My Ride
2002 Speed Triple 955cc
Hi everyone. Thanks for letting me join this forum. I have a 2002 Speed Triple 955cc. Bike has recently developed an issue when blipping the throttle before changing down gears. The engine quite often just cuts out and this can cause the back wheel to lock up. Even when parked up if I rev the engine and then just let the throttle go it nearly always cuts out. Has anyone had similar issue. My local bike shop has been unable to trace the fault and has tried hooking up two different scanners but neither has shown any issues. Any ideas?

Mordibe

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
Today, 12:09
First Name
Chris
My Ride
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Get the same occasionally on my 2021 Tiger 900 Rally Pro.
It only happens when I am approaching a stop junction/lights etc fast and dropping down thru the gears, as soon as I reach 2nd gear the bike cuts out, surprising me and I have to take immediate action pulling the clutch in etc
Only happens intermittently and this is with clutchless down and up gear change!

oncetoyourself

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
My Ride
Thunderbird 900
It only happens when I am approaching a stop junction/lights etc fast and dropping down thru the gears, as soon as I reach 2nd gear the bike cuts out, surprising me and I have to take immediate action pulling the clutch in etc
Only happens intermittently and this is with clutchless down and up gear change!
I had a similar problem with my 955i Sprint ST. It turned out to be split /perished ends of pipes to and from the IAVC.
Good luck.

Penicuiker

Riding for 54 Years
Local time
My Ride
2002 Speed Triple 955cc
It's very strange. I've had my bike since about 2006 and it has never once had this problem. It can be very disconcerting when changing down and suddenly the engine cuts out and the back wheel locks up. I need to get to the bottom of it. Wondering if it's maybe an ECU issue. Could it be causing the bike to over-fuel when blipping the throttle.

oncetoyourself

Riding for 47 Years
Local time
My Ride
Thunderbird 900
Hi Penicuiker, These are the very same symptoms I had with my 2002 955i Sprint ST. Very disconcerting, especially in the wet. I've had the bike since 2012 and the problems started in 2017. Gradually then progressively got worse. I went through several 'cures', some more expensive than others until I was pointed in the (not obvious) direction of the pipes from the IACV (Inlet Air Control Valve). As they split/perish they let in extra unwanted air and the ECU try's to compensate by over fuelling. I do hope this helps and you get that 955 back on song.

Penicuiker

Riding for 54 Years
Local time
My Ride
2002 Speed Triple 955cc
Hi Penicuiker, These are the very same symptoms I had with my 2002 955i Sprint ST. Very disconcerting, especially in the wet. I've had the bike since 2012 and the problems started in 2017. Gradually then progressively got worse. I went through several 'cures', some more expensive than others until I was pointed in the (not obvious) direction of the pipes from the IACV (Inlet Air Control Valve). As they split/perish they let in extra unwanted air and the ECU try's to compensate by over fuelling. I do hope this helps and you get that 955 back on song.
Hi. Thanks for this info. I'll pass it on to my mechanic who knows about this kind of stuff a lot better than me! :)

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom