Engine Rattle On Deceleration

Gerryk

Local time
Today, 15:34
First Name
Gerry
My Ride
1998 Triumph Trophy 900
Background…’98 Trophy 900 with 57k miles (40k by me). Shamefully not a lot of maintenance done, besides regular oil changes a few carb tune ups, valve adjustments, and spark plugs. My mechanical demeanor is willing to attempt pretty much anything but I’m not experience/qualified to identify subtle problems. If it’s obviously broke/worn, I have a chance. Otherwise I’m a forum/YouTube lurker. And I have a Haynes manual.

Problem…motor noise on deceleration. I would describe it as chain jingling/rattling. I’ve removed the alternator. There was a little bit of play in the center so replaced the bolt and center. Did not fix the problem.

Next…I’m thinking it’s time to replace the cam chain and tensioner. I’ve removed the crank cover, and honestly I would say the cam chain and guides look good (to an uninformed novice). Part of me thinks it can’t be bad to replace the cam chain at 57k, regardless of its condition. Thoughts?

If I go through this whole cam chain business and it ends up not being the problem, I guess I would head for the sprag clutch. If you were in my position, would you do the sprag clutch too while it’s all apart? It seems like a whole other invasive project. Advice?

I appreciate any advice/encouragement

Background…’98 Trophy 900 with 57k miles (40k by me). Shamefully not a lot of maintenance done, besides regular oil changes a few carb tune ups, valve adjustments, and spark plugs. My mechanical demeanor is willing to attempt pretty much anything but I’m not experience/qualified to identify subtle problems. If it’s obviously broke/worn, I have a chance. Otherwise I’m a forum/YouTube lurker. And I have a Haynes manual.

Problem…motor noise on deceleration. I would describe it as chain jingling/rattling. I’ve removed the alternator. There was a little bit of play in the center so replaced the bolt and center. Did not fix the problem.

Next…I’m thinking it’s time to replace the cam chain and tensioner. I’ve removed the crank cover, and honestly I would say the cam chain and guides look good (to an uninformed novice). Part of me thinks it can’t be bad to replace the cam chain at 57k, regardless of its condition. Thoughts?

If I go through this whole cam chain business and it ends up not being the problem, I guess I would head for the sprag clutch. If you were in my position, would you do the sprag clutch too while it’s all apart? It seems like a whole other invasive project. Advice?

Found this when doing a bit of searching:

What about the main drive chain....not sloppy is it?

Found this when doing a bit of searching:
Liebig, thanks for the lead. I'll post my most recent suspicion in the thread below.

What about the main drive chain....not sloppy is it?
I had that thought after I had taken off all the fairing bits and tank...and the main drive chain was good. I'll post my suspicions in the thread below.

So, after getting to the point of removing the cam cover and starting into the cam shafts (I had the intake shaft out), I discovered that one of the exhaust brackets that holds the pipe to the engine was completely off. The nuts were gone, and it was riding loose down on the pipe. I have to believe that this bracket loose on the pipe is the source of my 'jangling' noise (among other noises, I'm sure). I'm committed to a cam chain/tensioner/guide replacement, which at 57K miles is still probably not bad. The good news is the cam shafts and seats look good. Of course, it will give me the chance to check valve clearance, replace spark plugs, and air filter.

So, after getting to the point of removing the cam cover and starting into the cam shafts (I had the intake shaft out), I discovered that one of the exhaust brackets that holds the pipe to the engine was completely off. The nuts were gone, and it was riding loose down on the pipe. I have to believe that this bracket loose on the pipe is the source of my 'jangling' noise (among other noises, I'm sure). I'm committed to a cam chain/tensioner/guide replacement, which at 57K miles is still probably not bad. The good news is the cam shafts and seats look good. Of course, it will give me the chance to check valve clearance, replace spark plugs, and air filter.
Well done for getting to the bottom of it.

If I go through this whole cam chain business and it ends up not being the problem, I guess I would head for the sprag clutch. If you were in my position, would you do the sprag clutch too while it’s all apart? It seems like a whole other invasive Ask AI Mod APK Premium Unlocked. Advice?

Based on your description, it does sound like a worn cam chain and tensioner could be the culprit of the noise you are hearing on deceleration. It's good that you've already checked the alternator, but it's important to rule out other potential causes of the noise before proceeding with a major repair like replacing the cam chain and tensioner.

Before replacing the cam chain and tensioner, you may want to inspect the chain tensioner itself. It's not uncommon for these to wear out over time and become less effective, which can lead to excess slack in the cam chain and cause rattling or other noises. If the tensioner looks worn or doesn't seem to be doing its job properly, replacing it could be a more straightforward and cost-effective fix than replacing the entire cam chain.

If you do end up replacing the cam chain and tensioner, it's worth considering replacing the guides as well. These are also subject to wear over time and can contribute to excess chain slack and noise.

As for the sprag clutch, if you're not experiencing any issues with starting or the starter motor, it may not be necessary to replace it at this time. However, if you're concerned about its condition or want to be proactive in your maintenance, it's worth considering doing it while you have the engine apart.

Based on your description, it does sound like a worn cam chain and tensioner could be the culprit of the noise you are hearing on deceleration. It's good that you've already checked the alternator, but it's important to rule out other potential causes of the noise before proceeding with a major repair like replacing the cam chain and tensioner.

Before replacing the cam chain and tensioner, you may want to inspect the chain tensioner itself. It's not uncommon for these to wear out over time and become less effective, which can lead to excess slack in the cam chain and cause rattling or other noises. If the tensioner looks worn or doesn't seem to be doing its job properly, replacing it could be a more straightforward and cost-effective fix than replacing the entire cam chain.

If you do end up replacing the cam chain and tensioner, it's worth considering replacing the guides as well. These are also subject to wear over time and can contribute to excess chain slack and noise.

As for the sprag clutch, if you're not experiencing any issues with starting or the starter motor, it may not be necessary to replace it at this time. However, if you're concerned about its condition or want to be proactive in your maintenance, it's worth considering doing it while you have the engine apart.
Thanks for the input. I did end up going through with the cam chain replacement and replaced as much of the chain tensioner components as I could get my hands on (the most accessible guide was no longer available, and all the used ones looked to be in similar condition to mine). The tensioner spring was out of spec and the chain was noticeably longer than the new one, so it was probably all worth doing.

I mentioned in an earlier post that during my tear down, I discovered that one of the exhaust pipe brackets had come off completely, and I suspect that my noise on deceleration was the bracket jangling on the pipe. At the end of the day, my bike has a new cam chain, plugs, air filter, and coolant flush. I’m hoping to take it up to 100k miles!

I appreciate any advice/encouragement. Nohu online a very popular online game today.
Thank you for letting me know this.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom