Exhaust pipe color - is this normal?

midwestsierra

Local time
Yesterday, 17:12
My Ride
2016 Street Twin
Note: I just realized this is posted in Speed Twin forum but should be in Street Twin forum. Can I move or delete and repost? Newbie mistake. Thx!

Hi all -
I am a brand new Street Twin owner and I’m absolutely loving the bike.

Question about the coloring of the exhaust pipes. How long should the beautiful bronze color last?

I live in Southern California by the coast (Long Beach area), so the air definitely has some salt in it. And I am seeing quite a bit of discoloration on pipes. Bike has about 5,500 miles on it.

Is what I am seeing here one of the following, or something else?

- Standard and expected corrosion from exposure to elements. Happens to everyone and I just need to learn to love it.
- Permanent damage from oils. Could have been avoided, but now I need to learn to love it.
- Corrosion that can be cleaned with proper solvent. I might be able to improve it.
- Bike running lean/hot. I need to get this checked out.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

• ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 7
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 7
  • ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ST4.jpg
    ST4.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Stainless steel exhaust pipes normally turn that color so nothing to worry about.

Note: I just realized this is posted in Speed Twin forum but should be in Street Twin forum. Can I move or delete and repost? Newbie mistake. Thx!

Hi all -

Question about the coloring of the exhaust pipes. How long should the beautiful bronze color last?

I live in Southern California by the coast (Long Beach area), so the air definitely has some salt in it. And I am seeing quite a bit of discoloration on pipes. Bike has about 5,500 miles on it.

- Standard and expected corrosion from exposure to elements. Happens to everyone and I just need to learn to love it.
- Permanent damage from oils. Could have been avoided, but now I need to learn to love it.
- Corrosion that can be cleaned with proper solvent. I might be able to improve it.

Hi all -

Rocky's Right about exhausts.
Early triples had cheapest plated Nuts and Washers they could buy holding the Headers on , so keep an Eye on them.
Suggest replacement with Stainless Nuts and None Spring Washers , after Warranty.
Warm it up in Pitch Darkness with a couple of 1000 rpm. And watch how hot pipes glow.!!
Stainless is OK , for lots of Nuts and Bolts , if Copper Non Hardening Grease is used. Note no Grease or anything will stand the temperatures of Exhaust gas. The Studs will corrode badly, but theme the breaks , just keep em clean and dry. Someone will come up with a better plating as accessory if money right.
The Old days , there were coil springs to rap around and the Japs and Yanks use double skinned and shields.
If all else fails , just get 3 mm Alloy MIG wire and Roll!Your Own. And Avoid the Temptation to check there HOT!!!!!!!
I think stainless look Great.
PS.
Being a Limmey, Pommy , English Gentleman , I should get away with Yank, when referring to Harleys and Indians.

Stainless is suppose to react with Copper , Aluminium and Even Steel , so it needs that Cooper Grease. And if you Snap them, brother its a tough removal. hence even Coloured Aluminium sometimes looks great.
Bronze is the Best material , but no body even makes Quality Bronze outside the United States, cost of Tin.
Glad if that helps the World.
Not here for long enough , to worry if people think being helpful, makes you a Wise Guy , Big Head or Know it all.
Its all in books and experience with White Knuckles.
Not the Internet WobbleBox.

Last edited:

This threads has bow been moved TUP

Anywhere from blue to bright gold is.pretty normal. Depends on the metallurgy. The more stainless, the more gold. The more chromium, the more blue. My stainless Stayintune mufflers look gold plated after 17 years. ...J.D.

Rocky's Right about exhausts.
Early triples had cheapest plated Nuts and Washers they could buy holding the Headers on , so keep an Eye on them.
Suggest replacement with Stainless Nuts and None Spring Washers , after Warranty.
Warm it up in Pitch Darkness with a couple of 1000 rpm. And watch how hot pipes glow.!!
Stainless is OK , for lots of Nuts and Bolts , if Copper Non Hardening Grease is used. Note no Grease or anything will stand the temperatures of Exhaust gas. The Studs will corrode badly, but theme the breaks , just keep em clean and dry. Someone will come up with a better plating as accessory if money right.
The Old days , there were coil springs to rap around and the Japs and Yanks use double skinned and shields.
If all else fails , just get 3 mm Alloy MIG wire and Roll!Your Own. And Avoid the Temptation to check there HOT!!!!!!!
I think stainless look Great.
PS.
Being a Limmey, Pommy , English Gentleman , I should get away with Yank, when referring to Harleys and Indians.

Stainless is suppose to react with Copper , Aluminium and Even Steel , so it needs that Cooper Grease. And if you Snap them, brother its a tough removal. hence even Coloured Aluminium sometimes looks great.
Bronze is the Best material , but no body even makes Quality Bronze outside the United States, cost of Tin.
Glad if that helps the World.
Not here for long enough , to worry if people think being helpful, makes you a Wise Guy , Big Head or Know it all.
Its all in books and experience with White Knuckles.
Not the Internet WobbleBox.
I heard that if one Chrome plates Stainless Headers , they Don't Blue.
Anyone : can this be confirmed and can it be chromed ?

I haven't heard of that - but then I haven't heard of everything BGRIN

It´s the normal behavior of Stainless Steel. It takes a while, till both side are blue. It´s also normal, that it first starts on one side and then on the other.
If your air is salty, take care on rosty corrosion. This damages the Exhaustor. Also Stainless Stell can get rosty. I take from time to time steel wool and Stainless steel oil to maintain my pipes.
Reg´s Wolfgang from Gemany.

It´s the normal behavior of Stainless Steel. It takes a while, till both side are blue. It´s also normal, that it first starts on one side and then on the other.
If your air is salty, take care on rosty corrosion. This damages the Exhaustor. Also Stainless Stell can get rosty. I take from time to time steel wool and Stainless steel oil to maintain my pipes.
Reg´s Wolfgang from Gemany.
Never heard of Stainless Steel Oil.
What's the secret ingredient ?

Hello Chris,
this is an oil with special incridients to maintain Stainless Steel. The stainless effect comes a special Oxidation of the steel, wich is some mirco meter thick. It can happen, that the stainless steel gets permanent shady from the acids of regular oil, when it gets in contact.
In Germany you get this special oil e.g. from Würth. A C-Material supplier. May be also know at US.
Wolfgang

yup. have fun with your Stainless Steel pipes.....

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom