Exhaust Sputter/Popping During Deceleration

JBR07002

Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
First Name
Jeff
My Ride
2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
I've been on my 2012 Tiger 800XC for a little over a year now and I'm beginning to notice some exhaust sputter/popping during deceleration, especially after an aggressive acceleration. I feel like when I got the bike it wasn't doing this. I've got an aftermarket Arrow exhaust on the bike, but it was on the bike when I bought it. Has anyone else experienced something similar with their Tiger?

It is usual most new bikes have an egniter to burn unspent fuel in the exhaust after hard exceleration .

I have a 1012 Tiger 800XC with Arrow exhaust. Mine does the same thing. I like that sound. It reminds me of the Triumphs of old.

I've been on my 2012 Tiger 800XC for a little over a year now and I'm beginning to notice some exhaust sputter/popping during deceleration, especially after an aggressive acceleration. I feel like when I got the bike it wasn't doing this. I've got an aftermarket Arrow exhaust on the bike, but it was on the bike when I bought it. Has anyone else experienced something similar with their Tiger?
I just posted this on a different thread for someone wanting to know if the Booster Plug would help. I copied it over to hear. As you probably know, most new bikes run on the lean side to pass emission. When you add a aftermarket muffler, they run leaner and pop more.

I ride a 2012 Tiger 800XC. In 2015 I install the Booster Plug and love it ! At the time, I had install a Two Brother muffler and had lots of popping. With the Booster Plug, the popping went back to what is was stock. I noticed a large increase in power :). After a couple of years, the muffler needed repacked, so I put the stock muffler back on. With the stock muffler, I had a huge increase in low end torque and decided to stay with it. I can be in 6th gear at 20 mph and accelerate with no chugging surging or anything like that. It's not powerful idling along at 6th gear, but does increase speed slowly and I do not have to downshift. I keep a gear higher when turning on to another road. Where I use to gear down to 2nd or 3rd, I stay in 3rd or 4th. That is with the stock muffler. I did not notice any improvement in low end torque with the Two Brothers muffler on and that is not surprise.

As you have likely read, the Booster Plug tricks the ECU into think it is 20 degrees cooler (F) and increase the fuel mixture by 6-7% if I recall correctly. It is relatively easy to install. You do need to lift the tank up, or at least on my year.

I also install a Booster Plug on my 2006 Road King a couple of years ago. I noticed a little increase in power, but not really much. I had installed Vance & Hines muffler and it was popping more. With the Booster Plug it popped less, but still more than it did stock. If I only had that improvement on the Tiger, I may not recommend it. For the Road King, it definately cut down on the popping. I did want the Vance & Hines FP3, but it is not avaliable for that year.

Hope this was helpful.

Now that I think about it more. I believe Triumph dealers can install a tune for the Arrow pipe. That would be the least expensive route.

Now that I think about it more. I believe Triumph dealers can install a tune for the Arrow pipe. That would be the least expensive route.
I have found the off road tune works the best on my 2012. It is a little more rich.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom