Fender Stays

sethmcalister

Local time
Yesterday, 23:38
Hey all,

Fairly new here. Been a member over at triumph rat and haven't had luck there. Looking to remove the stays off my Bonnie. Problem is the tabs are still on my forks. What has been done to remedy that? I'm not a great body man so don't think i can cut em and clean it up that way. Are there other fork tubes that would work? I am told that many thruxton parts are interchangeable.

This is a very new question that I've never heard before
I doubt that anyone here has done it or has an answer for you.
But they may have some sugestions.

Do you have a photo of this that may help

Unfortunately, I don't. Dropped my bike off yesterday for its service and to have the front brakes re-bled. I ask because I'm considering removing the front fender as opposed to bobbing. There are four little tabs on the fork tubes where the stays connect. If I do remove the stays the tabs will likely look funny albeit one would need to be close to see them.

Ok I think I know the tabs you are talking about, not sure if I would try removing them myself really. Maybe someone else may have some suggestions on this

There are no fender stay tabs on my america forktubes, but I wouldnt know if they are the same length.
I would think thruxton would be,but would be worth a check.
The alternative could be to simply fit some rubber grommets to the fender stay mounting holes, or plug them with a little filler and paint.That way it would save you some dollars,and you could retro fit your guard without to much hassle if you so desired.

Your bike has fender stay ears half-way up the fork lowers in the front and at the bottom in the rear as well as two at the top...right?

The Bonneville SE and the Thruxton only have the two on the top.

I think the best you are going to find is the SE or Thruxton style. I Googled images of the Thruxton and saw some examples without any front fender, but they all still had the two ears at the top. It is barely noticable however, unless you are looking specifically for them as I was. If you added fork protectors above the dust seals, they are almost invisible.

Yes, that's correct. So it should be an easy swap go the SE or thruxton tubes?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think you also need to look at the price implications in doing that

Unless I can find used fork tubes they're about 305 each. Do you guys know of a Triumph junkyard or perhaps a quality used parts dealer?

:y13: You don't send Triumph to a junk yard you fix them up and get them going again BGRIN

LOL

Yes, there are motorcycle salvage yards, at least in the US. I bought a Thruxton engine from one.

The problem with breakers (junk yards) is that you want a front end and that it the most common type of accident a motorcycle will be involved in. Rarely are bikes only damaged in the rear and the front end is perfect.

Are you sure you want to ride a bike without any front fender at all? I've done that in the past and it's not too pleasant. It's also illegal in my State.

The fork lowers are black right? So if you still want to do that, then I'd grind off the tabs and repaint the lowers with Rust-O-Leum

That's true. I may not keep the fender off - have never ridden a bike without but seem to like the look. Am just looking at the possibilities.

There is a lot of debris that ends up in your face sans the front fender. As I mentioned, it may also be illegal like it is in PA. You could go with the shorter fender like on a Scrambler or SE.

I would recommend the shorter fender as opposed to no front finder. I agree with AJ; you get sand blasted, pebble blasted and water blasted with no fender at all.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try without for the time being. If I decide I don't like it I will likely end up bobbing it. I love my Bonnie, just not the stays. Another off topic question. I think the answer is no, but I'll ask. This being my first bike I'm still new but I have an addictive personality. I find myself on the various forums more than I should be perhaps. Has anybody retrofitted a kick starter on the newer Bonnie's. Not that I need it, just love the retro look and would be nice if I ever needed it. I know the new enfields have this.

I'm thinking that I'm going to try without for the time being. If I decide I don't like it I will likely end up bobbing it. I love my Bonnie, just not the stays. Another off topic question. I think the answer is no, but I'll ask. This being my first bike I'm still new but I have an addictive personality. I find myself on the various forums more than I should be perhaps. Has anybody retrofitted a kick starter on the newer Bonnie's. Not that I need it, just love the retro look and would be nice if I ever needed it. I know the new enfields have this.
I have never heard of it being done - which is not to say that somebody somewhere might have.
I think it would take quite a feat of engineering to fit a kicker after the fact.
Being engineered at the factory is one thing, but to retrofit is quite another.
Just my humble opinion.

I have seen a FAKE kick starter added to the new Bonnies. It was attached to the primary cover.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom