Premium Member
Local time
Today, 15:59
First Name
Phil
My Ride
2015 Triumph Bonneville America.
Riding Since
Finally managed to get a decent ride under my belt on my new America. Only 400km but by far the longest till now. Bike ran great, temp was about 33 deg. Picked up a couple of these on special at Repco. Funny but I ride slower on the America than I do on my VFR but the police seem far more interested in me?D128636A-B368-4BAD-BAE6-A8A12EB6028E.jpgC75585B3-93C6-4352-8C4A-A61CCBA62FA9.jpeg

Nice pic thanks for sharing TUP

You would think these bikes would be really hurting HD ?

Good bikes won't be hurting HD - there's too many sheep out there.

I believe Harley Davidson lost $90 million dollars last financial quarter? not too good IF it is correct. While not a Harley owner ( or ever likely to be) I would hate to see a company with so much heritage struggle to remain viable.

It just comes down to one thing with HD .... THERE MASSIVELY OVER PRICED ? and if there was ever a company trading on its name its HD , but i still wouldn't want to see them go under but they need to get a grip and sell bikes at a price average joe can afford .

I believe Harley Davidson lost $90 million dollars last financial quarter? not too good IF it is correct. While not a Harley owner ( or ever likely to be) I would hate to see a company with so much heritage struggle to remain viable.
This is only my take but I think that HD makes a mistake by offering so many different models. Every one of the different trim levels causes them to have to support those levels with specific parts- that takes money. I owned a Sportster years ago and I got tired of carrying an impact driver around to tighten the screws to stop the oil drips. A female driver solved that problem- she backed her land barge out into my lane of traffic and stopped. After doing a fair impression of the Flying Wallendas, I was imprisoned in our local hospital under the gentle ministrations of, I'm convinced, one of Adolph Eichmann's students. The issue was not finding broken bones, rather finding one or two that weren't pulverized. I could have sat with Evel Knevel and matched him rib for vertibrae. Three months later- I hobbled into the bike shop where some of us hung out and bought a Triumph TT. I sat and looked at it for a good while until my wife suggested that I either ride it or shoot it and give up. I ain't brave enough or smart enough to quit.

While HD has this mysterious aura around their bikes that makes them so desirable to the sheep/Average Joe/gullible ("I have to have a Harley". "Why?" "Because it's a Harley". DERRRRR), they'll keep making what amounts to second rate machinery. It's all about image - wanting to look or feel like a "bad boy". People with sense and imagination ride Triumphs, Ducatis, Guzzis, BMWs etc. Hell, if you want a performance cruiser, bypass anything made by HD, sit your arse on a Rocket 3 GT and hang on tight.

While HD has this mysterious aura around their bikes that makes them so desirable to the sheep/Average Joe/gullible ("I have to have a Harley". "Why?" "Because it's a Harley". DERRRRR), they'll keep making what amounts to second rate machinery. It's all about image - wanting to look or feel like a "bad boy". People with sense and imagination ride Triumphs, Ducatis, Guzzis, BMWs etc. Hell, if you want a performance cruiser, bypass anything made by HD, sit your arse on a Rocket 3 GT and hang on tight.
The attitude that you describe was exactly what was happening in the late 60s here. A cousin of mine gave me a Honda 750 that would suck the paint off any HD and didn't require diapers.

So true, Sarge. A mid-70's Suzuki GT750 "water bottle" would push any Harley back into last week.

So true, Sarge. A mid-70's Suzuki GT750 "water bottle" would push any Harley back into last week.
A freind of mine had a Suzuki three cylinder that sounded like a chainsaw with a cold but he'd take the harley boys lunch money every weekend. The hd boys would work on their machines and Ray would just open up another can of Lone Star and smile at them. I never saw him put a wrench to the rice burner.

While HD has this mysterious aura around their bikes that makes them so desirable to the sheep/Average Joe/gullible ("I have to have a Harley". "Why?" "Because it's a Harley". DERRRRR), they'll keep making what amounts to second rate machinery. It's all about image - wanting to look or feel like a "bad boy".
Not only is your post pure BS but it is offensive. I have owned 4 new Triumph's. A Sprint ST that was pretty reliable. A T100 that I sold to Carl and sadly the engine blew when the oil pump came apart. A Scrambler that needed a lot of upgrades to get it right, and a Trophy that was a complete garbage and I had to have my lawyer pressure Triumph to buy it back. It is fact that most Triumph components are are lesser grade that HD, especially fasteners.
Now for HD 2005 Roadglide that ran forever without a single failure, did 4 Iron Butt rides on it, one run From San Diego CA to Ft Polk LA stopping only for gas. 2007 Street-Bob, again never a single problem with the bike. Finally a 2013 HD Switchback that was by the far the best bike out of the 14 that I have owned. Why do MEN ride HD's" Because they are the best, must be why when anyone asks if your bike is a HD when you tell them you ride. My experience after riding for 50 years and owning Japanese, British, German and Harleys is HD is by far the highest quality, most reliable and the most fun.
Since you like to call people names you sir are a brand-bashing loudmouth.

PS. I've passed sport-bikes on the twisty roads on Harley-Davidson.

Good bikes won't be hurting HD - there's too many sheep out there.
Baaaaahhh 2 of my new Triumps left me stranded. None of my 3 HD's ever let me down including 4 Iron Butt rides.

I appreciate your right to have your opinion, Vector. Please do me the courtesy of allowing me to hold mine without resorting to personal abuse.
I was, of course, generalising. There are true motorcycling enthusiasts riding any and every make and model. You are obviously a Harley fan, and good on you for that. I was merely putting an observation that a lot of the guys I see riding HD's seem to do it mainly for the image they feel it portrays. And yes, a mid-70's GT750 would very likely blow a mid-70' Harley away. My opinion, not yours.

OK everyone ! ..... lets cool things down a bit we all have our own apinions and brand loyalties ,
were all here becouse we like bikes ( no matter the make and model ) so lets try and keep things civil .

I appreciate your right to have your opinion, Vector. Please do me the courtesy of allowing me to hold mine without resorting to personal abuse.
I was, of course, generalising. There are true motorcycling enthusiasts riding any and every make and model. You are obviously a Harley fan, and good on you for that. I was merely putting an observation that a lot of the guys I see riding HD's seem to do it mainly for the image they feel it portrays. And yes, a mid-70's GT750 would very likely blow a mid-70' Harley away. My opinion, not yours.
Personal abuse? Calling people "sheep/Average Joe/gullible" is not? Be responsible for your own words and don't twist those of others.

This conversation has gone far enough.
Please drop it immediately and move on.

I’m over it

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom