Premium Member
Staff
Local time
Today, 02:29
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Riding Since
2019 licensed about a decade earlier.
This past Saturday I ventured beyond my comfort level and took my first long ride for me, a total of a bit over a 100 miles. I had some issues with my clutch and first gear, adjusted it some during the trip and rechecked it yesterday. Should be fine again and a reminder to me to look at it closer before riding out. I thought I had. LoL. I was a bit nervous about wind, overpasses, and large trucks. Wind wasn’t as bad as I had feared, overpasses I did not enjoy, but managed and will get used to, and large trucks didn’t seem to effect the motorcycle as much as I feared. As for riding, the seat is very comfortable, but I did find deficiencies in my riding that really do not creep up on short city rides. One is my grip on the handlebars, need to purge myself of the “death grip”. Hand was getting a bit numb and releasing my grip and adjusting hand position helped. Need tips, I know I don’t need that firm a grip, but it’s a habit I need to break. With that thought, started looking at the advanced articles on the forum.

Y’all’s advice is appreciated. Side note, the Thruxton easily goes to 80 mph and handles country highway speeds effortlessly.E450F430-388E-40C2-B0C4-6521FFC7BDB1.jpeg
Morning pic waiting for my ride partners to arrive.

Such a great looking bike TUP
Normally, the clutch needs little attention and shouldn't need to be checked before each ride. I think that when you have it adjusted to suit you, it probably won't need more than that and should stay at that setting for a long time. I don't think I have ever adjusted the clutch on my older Bonneville.
You mention overpasses. What part about them gives you concern?
Trucks push a lot of air and the wash around the cab can buffet you when you go to pass. Just be prepared for that and zip by quickly into calm air.
Yes indeed, loosen that "death grip." Tight enough is usually good enough. So many of these things will come naturally with experience and confidence.
Have fun!

Such a great looking bike TUP
Normally, the clutch needs little attention and shouldn't need to be checked before each ride. I think that when you have it adjusted to suit you, it probably won't need more than that and should stay at that setting for a long time. I don't think I have ever adjusted the clutch on my older Bonneville.
You mention overpasses. What part about them gives you concern?
Trucks push a lot of air and the wash around the cab can buffet you when you go to pass. Just be prepared for that and zip by quickly into calm air.
Yes indeed, loosen that "death grip." Tight enough is usually good enough. So many of these things will come naturally with experience and confidence.
Have fun!
The overpasses are about the biggest thing to hills in my region. I feel exposed up in the air. I don’t particularly like very tall long bridges in my MINI either. I’m pretty sure I will get used to it. It’s easier when I’m following someone than when I’m riding one alone. It’s probably just being a bit anxious about the experience and it will hopefully diminish with time and experience.

I understand. It's just a personal fear/concern and not about the overpass. Everyone is different in how they view or experience things. Just focus on the road ahead and try not to be concerned about being up a bit high. It's just the road - only a bit higher. Time will take care of that, and it will become second nature to zip over an overpass and not be anxious.

I understand. It's just a personal fear/concern and not about the overpass. Everyone is different in how they view or experience things. Just focus on the road ahead and try not to be concerned about being up a bit high. It's just the road - only a bit higher. Time will take care of that, and it will become second nature to zip over an overpass and not be anxious.
Thanks. Makes sense, when I was following I concentrated on the rider in front and didn’t think about the overpass.

Try resting your index fingers on the brake and clutch levers. That will relax your grip on the other fingers. Racers often do this as then they already have a finger or two on the levers and reduces reaction time a bit as well.
Getting comfortable will only come with time and experience.

Relax. consciously drop your shoulders from time to time, have your elbows bent and relax the grip on the bars. Try to breath normally and look ahead as far as your can, the world will seem bigger and more spacious.
Get past lorries quickly, don't sit next to them.
You'll get there, best of luck.

Relax. consciously drop your shoulders from time to time, have your elbows bent and relax the grip on the bars. Try to breath normally and look ahead as far as your can, the world will seem bigger and more spacious.
Get past lorries quickly, don't sit next to them.
You'll get there, best of luck.
Thanks for the tips, I will visualize and practice them!

+1 on two fingers on the brake lever, it does help relax the hand and significantly reduces the time to activate the brakes. I haven't used more than two fingers on the front brake lever since I got rid of drum brakes. Find I rest two fingers on the clutch lever too, from the old days of racing two strokes and being ready to pull the clutch in because the d*** thing seized again. Glad to hear each of your rides are getting longer and you are pushing the comfort level in a good way.

Good advice above. My two cents.... Sit on your butt, not your hands. lot of people,( including me) have a tendency to put a lot of their body weight on the handlebars with a more aggressive riding position. aka, very low handlebars and clip-ons. especially if they are tall. It is definitely a bad habit. You're right to recognize it as such. Just keep your weight on the seat. It just takes a bit of core strength. use your stomach muscles.
That is such a cool looking bike. love the color and the chrome fenders.

Perhaps you can access: "MCRider.com" Lots of tips and advice about riding motorcycles.

Thanks for the tips, advice and general supportive comments!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom