First Ride On The 1995 Thunderbird900

B25bsaboy

Local time
Today, 00:22
First Name
Richard (Rick)
My Ride
1970 Triumph TR25W, 1972 BMW R75/5, 1995 Triumph Thunderbird 900
I looked up my my paper work at noon today and Sid the H#*l with it I am going to take the 995 Triumph Thunderbird 900 on a good shake down ride as it was 23 degrees C out side. This twenty six year old Triumph started right up and settled down to a nice rhythm. Went out to. Friends average who suddenly passed several years ago to do some reflextion! Going out and back, the Bird idled long as happy as a meadow lark there and back. This again is one of the nicest handling/sOlof motorcycle that I’ve ridden (75 years old now) an I am glad I was able to salvage her from the scrap bin as the previous owner claimed the engine was seized. Bought her sight un seen and spent last winter sorting out the engine (sprag clutch issue) and updated and renewed everything that needed to be done. Only regret I had was when I had her apart didn’t update the transmission is a six (6) speed rather than a five (5) speed. Oh well!
here is a photo I took earlier this afternoon while enjoying the warm fall weather.77E97CB9-3082-400D-A85D-342AFD234D27.jpeg
Gotta love my Whoopie Cushion to raise my ass so that the old walking sticks get some comfort

Last edited:
Nice ride report; looking good!

Excellent! Beautiful old bird!

I looked up my my paper work at noon today and Sid the H#*l with it I am going to take the 995 Triumph Thunderbird 900 on a good shake down ride as it was 23 degrees C out side. This twenty six year old Triumph started right up and settled down to a nice rhythm. Went out to. Friends average who suddenly passed several years ago to do some reflextion! Going out and back, the Bird idled long as happy as a meadow lark there and back. This again is one of the nicest handling/sOlof motorcycle that I’ve ridden (75 years old now) an I am glad I was able to salvage her from the scrap bin as the previous owner claimed the engine was seized. Bought her sight un seen and spent last winter sorting out the engine (sprag clutch issue) and updated and renewed everything that needed to be done. Only regret I had was when I had her apart didn’t update the transmission is a six (6) speed rather than a five (5) speed. Oh well!
here is a photo I took earlier this afternoon while enjoying the warm fall weather.View attachment 51016
Gotta love my Whoopie Cushion to raise my ass so that the old walking sticks get some comfort
Just an update in that this 1995 Triumph T-Bird is a solid ride. Do still have some teething carburetor and electrical neutral light switch issues that I will dive into this winter. I have had five (5) T-Birds and this one is perhaps the nicest of all of them. By redesigning the seat and putting a Roadster Triumph windshield on, makes the ride all that much nicer. I am going to actively start investigating looking and fitting a hard saddle bag setup. Just a thought…..

T-Birds are cool. I always wanted a TBS.

I have same bike! same color, but minus the screen, gaiters and chrome rad shroud. I'll be 75 in March.
Traded a quite nice '73 T100R that was given to me with a worn-out bottom end for the T-bird that ran good but had spent some time sliding down the road on its left side. Now has a Dynojet carb kit. "green" cams, TOR mufflers, braided stainless hoses, RaceTech fork springs and a ZX9 rear shock conversion. Will easily handle the avg 85mph+ highway traffic here around the Motor City.
Much like the OIF late model Meriden bikes, the T-Birds and all the Hinckley triples and fours are vastly under appreciated.
Still haven't sorted out the awful stock seat, though. Adding a gel insert turned it from a 30 minute till squirming ride to about a 60 minute ride. Have an "Air Hawk" inflatable pad that helps but don' care for that "floaty" feeling.

Glad you can still appreciate the older Tbird. I love my 98 Trophy 1200 for the same reasons.

Here in Detroit area the Hinckley triples and fours are now very rarely seen bikes- the Thailand built twins are everywhere. I'm thinking the stratospheric parts prices and general UNavailability are causing people to just walk away from them. Like Aprilia or anything Piaggio- break it and you'll be walking for a looong time!

Here in Detroit area the Hinckley triples and fours are now very rarely seen bikes- the Thailand built twins are everywhere. I'm thinking the stratospheric parts prices and general UNavailability are causing people to just walk away from them. Like Aprilia or anything Piaggio- break it and you'll be walking for a looong time!
Dearborn, Agree with you totally About the sky high parts availability! One of the reasons I’ve keep a lot of the parts I removed to improve the riding and handling issues I was having with the 1995 Thunderbird 900!
I must apologize for my spelling and grammar at the start of this thread! My BAD!

Great bike and glad to hear your riding at 75. I have a 96 Trident and am always concerned about the Sprague clutch issue. How difficult was it to do that upgrade.

Dearborn, Agree with you totally About the sky high parts availability! One of the reasons I’ve keep a lot of the parts I removed to improve the riding and handling issues I was having with the 1995 Thunderbird 900!
I must apologize for my spelling and grammar at the start of this thread! My BAD!
No apologies needed! I am sort of half Canadian, too! Born in Detroit, kind people of Ontario took me in- in 1969 when my own country was crazy. Like Muhammad Ali said- "I got no quarrel with no Vietnamese!" As for spelling/grammar-At the time, was married to British/American via Australia girl- her "patois" was often baffling! Then worked on crew with London, (UK), sort of "Bowler hat and newspaper" guy, another Brit from Huddersfield- understood about 5% of what he said! -and a bunch of Quebecois and Newfies! When I returned to USA in '73, I had the full "oat and aboat" accent! Cross border- now open- regularly. Windsor, Ont. restaurants/bars, etc only 4 exits on freeway from Dearborn, Michigan, (Detroit area)- closer than suburbs and no one wants to shoot you! Never should have left!- USA is FAR crazier now!

Had mine from new in 1995. Best bike I've ever had. Just brings a massive grin to my chops, like no other bike has ever done.
Done over 44,000 miles now, off to the Black Forest with her end of June for 10 days. I love it.
IMG_1943.JPG

Great bike and glad to hear your riding at 75. I have a 96 Trident and am always concerned about the Sprague clutch issue. How difficult was it to do that upgrade.
As long as you keep the battery in tip top condition, and pull the clutch lever in before you hit the starter button, all should be well.
Keeping it in neutral doesn't hurt as well.

Had mine from new in 1995. Best bike I've ever had. Just brings a massive grin to my chops, like no other bike has ever done.
Done over 44,000 miles now, off to the Black Forest with her end of June for 10 days. I love it.
View attachment 56463
How do you like that seat? I have the original, flat, "surfboard" style seat and have found it REALLY bad- puts pressure on pelvis bone- tried adding a 20mm gel insert and it turned a 30-40 minutes to squirming seat into about a 45-60 minute seat. Have a "plywood" Corbin too- FUGLY as hell and puts me way too far back. My bike is a '96- virtually identical to yours and it too, is one of my favorites from the couple dozen I've owned despite it being like a giant T140- overweight and quite top heavy- like Elvis when he discovered carbohydrates!

How do you like that seat? I have the original, flat, "surfboard" style seat and have found it REALLY bad- puts pressure on pelvis bone- tried adding a 20mm gel insert and it turned a 30-40 minutes to squirming seat into about a 45-60 minute seat. Have a "plywood" Corbin too- FUGLY as hell and puts me way too far back. My bike is a '96- virtually identical to yours and it too, is one of my favorites from the couple dozen I've owned despite it being like a giant T140- overweight and quite top heavy- like Elvis when he discovered carbohydrates!
Back in 07 I did 818 miles from Southern England to the South of France in 1 hit. My backside never hurt a bit, then the next day I did 616 to southern spain, again no problems with comfort. It's the original Triumph King and Queen seat.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom