First Riding Impressions: Triumph Tiger Sport (2016)

Mad On Triumphs

1995 Thunderbird
Riding for 44 Years
Local time
Today, 00:24
First Name
Garry
My Ride
1995 Thunderbird 900
Mann%20Tiger_66.jpg

The newest bike in Triumph’s enormous multi-model assault on 2016 is the heavily updated Tiger Sport. Nestling into the Triumph range in between the more off-road focused adventure bikes in the Tiger 800 and the 1200cc Tiger Explorer, the new machine features the same next generation 1050cc, triple-cylinder engine from the updated Speed Triple with its 100+ changes from the outgoing motor.

Its focus is on being the ultimate all-rounder; a bike that can provide a comfortable, quick and cost-effective commute as well as having the capability of touring in style. Of course, it has all the relevant technical developments at the riders' disposal while housing enough power to offer a grin-inducing sportier ride around the B-roads. And with a very attractive price tag of a little over £10k, its certain to take a healthy fight to rivals from Japanese and Italian manufacturers like Yamaha's MT-09 Tracer, Suzuki's V-Strom 1000 and Kawasaki's Versys 1000. Plus, by Triumph's own admission, Aprilia's Caponord.

666_TS2.jpg

As with recent new model launches, Triumph have been fairly secretive with revealing the technical specifications, keeping them underwraps until after press have ridden the bike for a day so head on back for the full review which should be published within the next 24 hours which will include everything you need to know.

For now, what do we know about this heavily revised model? Well, heavy mechanical and cosmetic changes come in electronic upgrades include rider-focussed technology with ride-by-wire throttle and three rider modes (Rain, Road and Sport), a new ECU, multi-level traction control, integrated cruise control, slip assist clutch, adjustable and tinted windscreen, redesigned mirrors and grippier footpegs.

Bike Social has been invited to the riding launch in Nice in the South of France and taking the reigns today is our Web Editor, Michael Mann, who has just called in with these first impressions:

"The Tiger Sport's highly effective Showa front suspension is paired nicely with a balance that means handling is far better than its weight or height would suggest. The Pirelli Angel tyres aid that ability too.

The bike turns quickly enough while the perky three cylinder motor which, as you'd expect, not only sounds rich, but is far happier higher up the rev range."
He added: "Two of the riding modes (Road and Sport) differ only in throttle mapping and traction control while Rain mode limits power just under 100bhp. I've only ridden in the two sportier modes so around the hills north of Nice with the bike far happier and lively above 5000rpm. The red line is just over 10000rpm and the bike is geared long so hit the limiter in 2nd and you'll be braking the national speed limit. Of course that means the bike will be super frugal when cruising the motorways in top gear. Nissin brakes are razor sharp at low speed while the new, tinted screen is wider and more aerodynamically effective plus it's easily adjustable with one hand on the move."
Triumph say the engine and exhaust changes improve torque and fuel consumption and the bike will available in two colours: matt black with neon yellow detailing or aluminium silver.

A Triumph insider told us that the Tiger Sport bikes are rolling off the production line in Hinckley right now and they will be in dealerships ready for the nationwide season launch on 23-24 April.

Baldeagle

Riding for 56 Years
Local time
First Name
Brian
My Ride
Bonneville America 2007
Looks a nice bike and the spec reads well,cosmetically clearly copying KTM with the way the 1050 is emblazoned on the side.
I had an 1150 GS for a long time,typical German engineering,always started,go anywhere but I never had a massive desire to get it out of the garage,but the lovely sound of a triple!! Well that's a different matter.

Mad On Triumphs

1995 Thunderbird
Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Garry
My Ride
1995 Thunderbird 900
I too had the 1150 GS, and I agree with your statement 100%. It was like a sanitised sowing machine. It did nothing for me at all, and I sold it within a year.
My 21 year old Thunderbird ( Next month that is ) brings a smile to my chops every time I go out on her.
Looking back, I do wonder why the the hell I bought a BMW, I sold a perfectly good FJ1200 to get it. FACE

.image0-347.jpg
No contest really.
IMG_0643.JPG

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
MOT, I love the look of that bike TUP TUP
Not very many of them around here.

Mad On Triumphs

1995 Thunderbird
Riding for 44 Years
Local time
First Name
Garry
My Ride
1995 Thunderbird 900
I doubt Rocky that I'll ever sell it, the only thing that would come close is the new T120 Bonneville's, but even then I still don't think that it could replace my Thunderbird. I may be wrong who knows. I've just fitted Oxford heated grip to her the other day, they are very good if anybody out there is thinking of fitting them to their bike. These were the set that I've fitted.
$_57.JPG

And here's another shot of the 21 year old, with the Lincolnshire Wolds in the background
IMG_0644.JPG

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 45 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 ntx
i see yours is fitted with the sock draw under the head lamp ! :D

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
Beautiful bike TUP TUP

guscar65

Riding for 11 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
I doubt Rocky that I'll ever sell it, the only thing that would come close is the new T120 Bonneville's, but even then I still don't think that it could replace my Thunderbird. I may be wrong who knows. I've just fitted Oxford heated grip to her the other day, they are very good if anybody out there is thinking of fitting them to their bike. These were the set that I've fitted.
$_57.JPG

And here's another shot of the 21 year old, with the Lincolnshire Wolds in the background
View attachment 35617
$_57.JPG

View attachment 35617
yep beautiful bike-----I had a hankering for one a couple of years ago but with prices south of £3500 ---it was just a pipe dream---the sport was even more expensive but looked the beans. I even looked at the 'legend' which has more raked out cruiser stance ----which I though yours was when i first looked. big strong bullet proof and well built ---whats not to like. The T120 has a similar sensation i would say but cannot match the thunderbird for looks, If it was me -----I would never sell it. In fact although my T120 is tempting me to sell the children and go for a second bike rather than sell it . It (and I am sure the thunderbird ) just have so much sensations. I had planned to look at a second hand tiger sport come may ----just to keep with the guys on our days out ----but triumph have just gone and confused me with the news that they are planning a 950 tiger sport which looks juicy ---or even the new trident which i could realistically stretch to-----choices , choices ---what the hell. At 71 how many riding days do i have left and what else am i going to spend my pension on!!----well will wait and see what the new bikes are like before i put the wife up for sale!

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 45 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
Yes ive had a hankering for the tiger sport for a while but just cant justify two bikes at the minute , especially as ive only put 2000 miles on my guzzi in two years !!! :y27:
But what i will say is there is some awsome deals out there on the 2020 tiger sport this is a local deal on at the moment , £9400 and 10% off full luggage and free fitting so i suspect this will be the last year of the 1050 sport ? ..... so grab a bargin !

guscar65

Riding for 11 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
Similar experience-----when i had the 'america'---which suited the wife , I found that (after a few trips out with the boys) it was just too much hard work keeping up, and not what the bike was designed for. So I bought second hand honda CBF1000 (great bike by the way) but keeping two bikes is expensive day to day and after missing out a road tax figured it was just too much hassle. SO tried to bring both sides of my biking into one bike --originally it was to be the speed twin ---but it just ain't very good for pillions , all the tigers are just toooo tall, even when lowered they are daunting for pillions, so settled on the T120 . Now am back where i started , only worse because unlike the america which was very limited the T120 is actually very good all round when fitted with long haul screen, panniers and now a 39 T rear sprocket, so with its great looks etc. I just want to keep it BUT a more dynamic bike would still make my days out that bit easier. My plan is (was)to buy a second hand tiger 1050 , fit a lowering kit and that would be well dynamic enough, keeping the T120 for me and the wife. Its not like we go out often as she doesn't keep well ----but its still the dream. However the impending new models from triumph have thrown temptation in my way. So am now in a fog of indecision. I will however take test rides on the new bikes , if nothing else just to remove the burr from my saddle. Of course one of them could be so good as to settle the issue, well that's the hope..
Riding season pretty much finished now, maybe just an odd afternoon around local roads, Keep well everyone.

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 45 Years
Staff
Local time
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
I very nearly pulled the trigger on a new tiger 1050 a month ago and part exing my stelvio in on it .... but .... i sat down one afternoon and thought about all the reasons i bought it in the first place , and realised all those reasons were still there and the bike was still doing exactly what i wanted it to do !
So ive decided i will probably never sell it ... but ... i will at some point own another triumph in the not so distant future .

guscar65

Riding for 11 Years
Local time
First Name
angus
My Ride
blue/white T120 2018
yes good thinking! rather than get carried away , I should take time out and do a 'cold' review. ---------however we all love shiny things!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom