Bonneville T100
Riding for 62 Years
Local time
Today, 20:25
First Name
Glenn
My Ride
1979 Triumph Bonneville
When I decided to put on a new rear drive belt I decided to do it myself I had to remove the Primary Belt Drive Clutch Basket Assembly as well as the Alternator. The Foot Change Spindle came out with the clutch basket and belt drive assembly. When I put the Foot Change Spindle back in the hole (without the clutch basket and belt drive assembly in place) it simply flops down. What is it suppose to fit in to keep it tight? When it was in there before I removed all the parts it was tight and moved up and down tight when I changed the gears. The manuals are of no help, so I am asking you. I have never changed a rear belt drive out. I have never changed out a sprocket. I have changed out several chains which is easy. All my motorcycle life I have never had the need to do this because I normally never kept one long enough for the chain sprockets to wear out. Will it simply slip in place once I have the new belt on and the clutch back in place? BTW I have a Norton Dry Clutch since my primary uses a belt and not a chain. Or do I have to remove the Gearbox Cover and make an adjustment? BTW, I looked all over the internet as well as You Tube and there is nothing to address this subject. And we all know that the books are of no value. If you find something on You Tube addressing this topic I sure would like to have it.

grandpaul

Old Bike Lover
Riding for 51 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 14:25
My Ride
2000 Legend 900 Triple, 2002 Bonneville
Sounds like the flat-ended tip of the shaft isn't inserted into the change mechanism in the outer transmission cover. Just rotate it a bit either way till it slips into place.

That's a fun bit of a fiddle, that one is...

Glenn

Bonneville T100
Riding for 62 Years
Local time
Today, 20:25
First Name
Glenn
My Ride
1979 Triumph Bonneville
When I put the clutch basket on it actually slipped right into place.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom