Randy

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 23:45
First Name
Randy
My Ride
2011 Sprint GT
I need to replace a front fork seal. Anyone have any insight on this?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 20:45
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Be patient; someone will come along to give you good information.

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 00:45
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
I have watched a few videos on this and it does not seem too complex. Would change both if you're going to the trouble of disassembling the forks, and change out the fork oil at same time.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 00:45
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I have watched a few videos on this and it does not seem too complex. Would change both if you're going to the trouble of disassembling the forks, and change out the fork oil at same time.
That's good advice. I would do the same TUP

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 44 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 04:45
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 ntx
Just done mine on the stelvio its not to bad to do the biggest problem is holding the slide tube inside when you undo the bottom bolt that holds the tube to the bottom of the fork .

Nortony

Riding for 46 Years
Local time
First Name
Anthony
My Ride
Thruxton TFC
General rule is to remove the fork tubes from the triple trees;, undo the nut at the base of the slider; remove the fork spring assembly;drain the fork oil while your at it then use the correct tool to pry the seal out of the slider usually while you have the slider in a soft mouth vise. Clean the lip of the slider and check for any rough edge you might have created during the removal. Lubricant the new seal and drive it into the fork slider. If you don’t have the correct tool to drive in (seat it) in utilize a socket large enough to cover virtually the entire surface of the sea. Replace the fork tube in the slider along with the internals and spring tighten the bolt on the base of the slider and fill the fork tube with the correct fork oil, either before or after you thread it back through the triple tree.
couple of things you should do while you have the thing apart, clean everything in a parts washer and replace the o-rings, seals and gaskets. These parts generally come as a kit. On a scale of difficulty of one-five, this project is a two. If your unsure, take pictures as you dissemble and be careful you set those new lubricantEd fork seals befor you start pounding away, maybe start with a rubber malle.

Randy

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
First Name
Randy
My Ride
2011 Sprint GT
Thanks Nortony. I ordered the seal kits, both forks, and plan on starting tomorrow, The kits came yesterday. Thanks again.

Randy

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
First Name
Randy
My Ride
2011 Sprint GT
Just done mine on the stelvio its not to bad to do the biggest problem is holding the slide tube inside when you undo the bottom bolt that holds the tube to the bottom of the fork .
Thanks shanered6. I have been wanting to get a Moto Guzzi , but dealer support is a hit and miss around the Carolinas.

Randy

Riding for 40 Years
Local time
First Name
Randy
My Ride
2011 Sprint GT
I order two fork kits. I thought the same,

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 44 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 04:45
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 ntx
Thanks shanered6. I have been wanting to get a Moto Guzzi , but dealer support is a hit and miss around the Carolinas.
Unfortunately its the same here in the Highlands of Scotland , the nearest dealer is 250 miles away .
But thats one of the reasons i bought it ... its easy to work on .

good4us

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
My Ride
2007 Triumph
I need to replace a front fork seal. Anyone have any insight on this?
I replaced my fork seals this spring. Removing the allen head cap screw from the fork tube on the first fork proved impossible. I did not have, nor could I find a fork tube retaining tool. The capscrew and fork tube turned and I was unable to keep the fork tube from turning. I ended up drilling out the cap screw. Once the fork tube was out, I was able to make a tool for the other one and removing the fork tube was a 5 minute job. Use of an impact wrench may make it easier to get the cap screw to break loose. Make sure you mark the position of everything before disassembly. I think the fork seals and fork tube retaining cap screws were $28.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom