Fuel Range

cauf1000

Local time
Today, 05:37
First Name
ken
My Ride
tiger 800 xcx
Hi just purchased a new Tiger 800XCX done about 1000mls now and had first service but have noticed that the fuel light seems to come on very early does anyone know how far the bike will go when lite comes on before empty ?

Welcome to TT from Eastern Canada.
Hard to say how far it will go before running out. Too many variables; wind direction, speed, load on bike, riding style, etc.
If you really want to know, try it sometime with a typical load and carry a spare gas can. Each bike and rider are different.
Wish there was a more definitive answer but you'll just have to try the old fashioned way.

When you do this, it's good to stay in town, or on a route with many stations.

Thanks guys looks like i will need to carry a can and see how far we get

Thanks guys looks like i will need to carry a can and see how far we get
Even just a liter will do the job of getting you to the next station, if you plan well.

Next time the light comes on head right to the pumps and fill it to the brim. It will take about 15 litres so there was 5 litres in it when the lite came on(20 less 5 =15), about 50 miles worth on a tiger. Keep your gauge set on distance till empty function and it will all become clear after a few refills. Enjoy the tiger, they are probably the best all rounder on the planet ,,,, Brooke

Lots of variables as others have mentioned, but I'll share my experiment from this past weekend. Mine's a 2016 XC with a Madstad 18" windscreen, a 15T primary sprocket, Givi V46 top box and crash bars. Averaging about 80mph near sea level, which is a buzzy 7,000rpm or so with the 15T gear, my fuel light came on with 2 bars showing around 125 miles. It was down to the first bar by 140 miles, and I then babied it to a fuel station at 55 mph, arriving there with 150 miles showing. The tank held 4.2 gallons at that point, so I calculated it probably could've gone 170 miles before being empty, but I'd never trust it past 150 under those conditions. I averaged around 37 mpg on the outbound leg of the journey and 39 on the return. Total elevation change might've been 500 feet. In stock trim it got noticeably better mileage, but I never fully confirmed tank range then.

At my age I just fill up the tank whenever I have to stop and unhydrate my bladder.

On a serious note, everyone that I've seen comment on the distance disagreed with each other. Some have reported the light came on at half a tank while others reported they only had a gallon remaining. As stated above, either run it to empty with a spare can on hand or stop at the first chance after the light comes on and see what yours will hold at that point.

My last tank averaged 42 mpg, which was 5 mpg better than my worst average from a week ago. The fuel light came on around 145 miles this time, which is 15 miles farther than the last time I ran it to the light.

My Honda CXE 650 did that ,but of course had no light ,just the gauge. I put up with it for at least a decade until I finally removed the toilet tank style gauge , bent the lever and reinstalled. Then it would take guile a few miles to leave the full mark, but half and empty would be accurate. Despite the modern fueling system the tiger probably still has some kind of ancient float in there that is subject to similar issues.

Just thinking. When Tigger was new 300 km was the limit to refill . After 5 or 10 k km it would be 330 km (200 miles). Years later now with 17 t front sprocket 375 km . Just thinking,,,,,

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom