Fuel reserve petcock question.

sikatri

Local time
Today, 09:19
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
This weekend I’ve been looking over the 2005 Thruxton and starting it up a few times. Also put a fan in front so I could run it safely to warm up. So at one point the engine sound changed and after a bit it stalled. Tried restarting and it failed to start. I had earlier put a gallon plus into the tank. I suspected it may have traveled with little gas. The oil was certainly low and I added some as well. Several quarts at least. So I concluded it was essentially shipped dry. Now to my question. The fuel petcock was pointing to the front when it ran out. When I turned it 90 degrees to point up it restarted. My understanding is that normally it should point to the rear of the bike to full. It only turns between the front and 90 degrees to up. How do I get it pointed to full to the rear position?

Attachments

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
Today, 07:19
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
It only turns between the front and 90 degrees to up. How do I get it pointed to full to the rear position?
I looked at the photo, enlarged, and the word on the right appears to be "FUEL, not "Full". Therefore, it seems you only have on and off, no reserve.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
I looked at the photo, enlarged, and the word on the right appears to be "FUEL, not "Full". Therefore, it seems you only have on and off, no reserve.
Or is the 6 o’clock pointing down full?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
Or is the 6 o’clock pointing down full?
I can't see what is in the 6 o'clock position, in the photo. Also, don't feel like going out in the heat to my garage, at this time, to compare to my Bonneville, but I will. More to come, with photo.

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
Here is a photo of my petcock. 12 o'clock is REServe. 9 o'clock is OFF, 6 o'clock is ON.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
Thanks. I looked again with a better light and I just simply missed the word “on”. LoL.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 28 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
Today, 11:19
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
I painted the little arrow on my petcock red.
Pointing straight down is "on" and now it's easier to see where the arrow is pointing.
I always turn the petcock to "off" when I park it overnight, a couple of days, etc. - and of course sometimes forget to turn the gas on when I ride away BGRIN

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
I painted the little arrow on my petcock red.
Pointing straight down is "on" and now it's easier to see where the arrow is pointing.
I always turn the petcock to "off" when I park it overnight, a couple of days, etc. - and of course sometimes forget to turn the gas on when I ride away BGRIN
This was a reminder I preferred to get sitting in the garage. Thanks y’all! The paint is a good idea. A little dab on the on as well for me, lol.

Black R

Riding for 60 Years
Local time
Today, 23:49
My Ride
Thruxton R
Why would anyone ship a bike "dry".
Ship with no fuel I understand but it makes no sense that the oil level was so low?

Last edited:

CarlS

Charter Member #3
Riding for 62 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 10:19
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
I have shipped and received several bikes over the years and I have never drained the oil nor received one with the oil drained.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
I have shipped and received several bikes over the years and I have never drained the oil nor received one with the oil drained.
I thought it odd, but it needed a good filling.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
Why would anyone ship a bike "dry".
Ship with no fuel I understand but it makes no sense that the oil level was so low?
It was puzzling to me as well.

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 3 Years
Local time
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
BUT, in the end, you checked the fluids BEFORE you tried running the bike, so don't dwell on it too much, knowing you did the right thing in the first place.

sikatri

Local time
My Ride
BUT, in the end, you checked the fluids BEFORE you tried running the bike, so don't dwell on it too much, knowing you did the right thing in the first place.
True. All in all I have only one thing to do and that’s to get all my paperwork to the state. Taxes paid, inspections done and even a small test drive around the block. My wife said it was loud. It must be the aftermarket exhaust. Not sure how much louder they are than stock, but I don’t mind the sound myself. LoL.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom