Premium Member
Staff
Local time
Today, 04:08
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Riding Since
2019 licensed about a decade earlier.
This weekend I’ve been looking over the 2005 Thruxton and starting it up a few times. Also put a fan in front so I could run it safely to warm up. So at one point the engine sound changed and after a bit it stalled. Tried restarting and it failed to start. I had earlier put a gallon plus into the tank. I suspected it may have traveled with little gas. The oil was certainly low and I added some as well. Several quarts at least. So I concluded it was essentially shipped dry. Now to my question. The fuel petcock was pointing to the front when it ran out. When I turned it 90 degrees to point up it restarted. My understanding is that normally it should point to the rear of the bike to full. It only turns between the front and 90 degrees to up. How do I get it pointed to full to the rear position?

Attachments

• 2C59D2B8-F3DE-4E72-921D-76C2EA163476.jpeg
    2C59D2B8-F3DE-4E72-921D-76C2EA163476.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 14
It only turns between the front and 90 degrees to up. How do I get it pointed to full to the rear position?

I looked at the photo, enlarged, and the word on the right appears to be "FUEL, not "Full". Therefore, it seems you only have on and off, no reserve.

I looked at the photo, enlarged, and the word on the right appears to be "FUEL, not "Full". Therefore, it seems you only have on and off, no reserve.
Or is the 6 o’clock pointing down full?

Or is the 6 o’clock pointing down full?
I can't see what is in the 6 o'clock position, in the photo. Also, don't feel like going out in the heat to my garage, at this time, to compare to my Bonneville, but I will. More to come, with photo.

Here is a photo of my petcock. 12 o'clock is REServe. 9 o'clock is OFF, 6 o'clock is ON.

Thanks. I looked again with a better light and I just simply missed the word “on”. LoL.

I painted the little arrow on my petcock red.
Pointing straight down is "on" and now it's easier to see where the arrow is pointing.
I always turn the petcock to "off" when I park it overnight, a couple of days, etc. - and of course sometimes forget to turn the gas on when I ride away BGRIN

I painted the little arrow on my petcock red.
Pointing straight down is "on" and now it's easier to see where the arrow is pointing.
I always turn the petcock to "off" when I park it overnight, a couple of days, etc. - and of course sometimes forget to turn the gas on when I ride away BGRIN
This was a reminder I preferred to get sitting in the garage. Thanks y’all! The paint is a good idea. A little dab on the on as well for me, lol.

Why would anyone ship a bike "dry".
Ship with no fuel I understand but it makes no sense that the oil level was so low?

Last edited:
I have shipped and received several bikes over the years and I have never drained the oil nor received one with the oil drained.

I have shipped and received several bikes over the years and I have never drained the oil nor received one with the oil drained.
I thought it odd, but it needed a good filling.

Why would anyone ship a bike "dry".
Ship with no fuel I understand but it makes no sense that the oil level was so low?
It was puzzling to me as well.

BUT, in the end, you checked the fluids BEFORE you tried running the bike, so don't dwell on it too much, knowing you did the right thing in the first place.

BUT, in the end, you checked the fluids BEFORE you tried running the bike, so don't dwell on it too much, knowing you did the right thing in the first place.
True. All in all I have only one thing to do and that’s to get all my paperwork to the state. Taxes paid, inspections done and even a small test drive around the block. My wife said it was loud. It must be the aftermarket exhaust. Not sure how much louder they are than stock, but I don’t mind the sound myself. LoL.

I just looked at these posts and have a question. The OFF, RES and ON positions make sense to me, but I have no idea what the FUEL position means. Can someone explain it to me. BTW, I normally use the RES position when I ride so when I run out, I run out. Not smart but I have never run out of fuel on my 2008 T100.

I just looked at these posts and have a question. The OFF, RES and ON positions make sense to me, but I have no idea what the FUEL position means. Can someone explain it to me. BTW, I normally use the RES position when I ride so when I run out, I run out. Not smart but I have never run out of fuel on my 2008 T100.
I believe "FUEL" is simply a label for the petcock, and if you use it you're essentially in the off position.

I think it just means it’s a fuel valve. The arrow doesn’t turn in that direction. It only goes res, off, an on. If I’m not sure how much I have I put it on RES as well.

Last edited:
Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom