Fun Day Tomorrow On My Bobber

Isn't old age a blast, it certainly not for sissies.

As much as you hate wasting all those riding days, you have to look after your body first. You can make up for lost time later.
And as you said, when you come back to riding you will have the most spotless bobber in the country BGRIN
In the meantime, hang around here and enjoy the good humor and friendly folks. No flame wars or crap like that here.

Hi Everybody,
I've got a question folks? Since I'm going to be down for about nine or more months. Due to this up and coming surgery and PT. Once I get home. How often should I just start my new bobber and let it run? To keep the battery charged and to keep everything running good while I'm recovering? Without riding it?
Thanks Snakesfield

Would you be keeping a battery tender on it?

I don't mean to sound dumb? But, what's a battery tender?

It's a "smart" battery trickle charger that recognizes when the battery is OK, or a little low, and provides a charge as needed to keep the battery ready for use. Reasonably priced at Cycle Gear: Battery Tenders

It's up to you, but I wouldn't start the engine without riding it to burn off the moisture.
I doubt that the alternator is putting much into the battery at idle anyway, but I stand to be corrected.
I recommend getting a battery charger as has been said.

I would also say go with a battery tender as they now cheap and well worth the cash and small effort installing them. As rocky said if you keep the battery charged then really starting it would not even be needed.

I would also say go with a battery tender as they now cheap and well worth the cash and small effort installing them. As rocky said if you keep the battery charged then really starting it would not even be needed.
Thank you Dave. I have a trickle charger, that I've had for ever. So, I'll use that, like you kind folks suggest. Thank you very much for that info.

If you have a battery that's not very old and in good condition they hold their charge very well.
Over our long winter I remove all the batteries and store them in a cool dry place.
Once a month I'll hook each one up to the charger for 24 hours and all of them go into "float mode" in a minute or so which shows that they were pretty well 100% charged and hadn't lost anything by sitting.
Your trickle charger is all you need to give your battery a boost once in a while. Some leave the charger connected all the time, but I don't bother with that.
I have five batteries and only one charger so it isn't practical anyway BGRIN

Thank you Rocky, Very good sound advice. I'll do that and thank you very much.

I checked out that TEC cam shaft some more, and I've decided to leave my stock cam shaft in. The bike rides really great, like it is and if it an't broke, leave it alone. It has enough power to keep me happy and it runs great. So why mess with it? I am going to do the other mods though, while I'm healing up from this surgery. I really need those forward controls though, along with the higher handle bars, plus, the crash bars also and the waterproof saddlebags too. So, that I can haul all of my camping gear with me, when I go to Yellowstone, next summer. I've ridden my Bobber, over a hundred miles and when I got to my distention. I'm usually ready to party and have a good time, now days. Not like, when I had my HD. After about a hundred miles of riding on that, bad boy all day! I was ready to call it a night and go to bed. But, after riding my Bobber, all day long, which, for me is a really very comfortable ride. I 'm very relaxed, comfortable and I'm ready too party too. Plus, I have a really messed up back also. But, my Triumph Bobber makes riding fun again for me. This is a really great bike for me, that I'v really grown to love a lot.

It was none of my business, and I never poo poo anyone's mods, but I think you have made the right decision about the cam.
It wasn't my place to say yes or no. What a rider does to or with his machine is his business.

The bobber engine is a pretty darn good all-around engine as it is, and unless you were really wanting to rip up the roads like a teenager, it should serve you well in the factory state of tune.
Lots of fresh oil and filters and these engines seem to go on forever.
You've already grown to love it as it is and I think down the road you will love it even more.

The other mods you plan sound cool TUP

Thank you Rocky. It took me a little time to realize that, I really like my bike the way that it is. Plus, if it an't broke, I don't want to mess with the engine. But, I do want to add all the other mods though. Because, I fell that I will need them, on going on long trips, camping trips and so on. But, I really enjoy my motor, just as it is. So I came to the conclusion, to just leave my engine alone. If it was meant to have that cam shaft in it, then I fill that Triumph would have put it in the motorcycle. But they didn't and there's probably a good reason why they didn't. I very happy with my motorcycle engine just as it is.

It would be interesting to know how the TEC cam would have been in your bike, but for your style of riding and what you intend to do out on the road, I think the standard engine will give you plenty of smiles.

I know how easy it is to get excited over things, but sometimes you have to take a step back BGRIN

All the best.

I agree. I'm not a youngster anymore and my stock motor will serve me well, for many years to come.

I finally had my surgery on 11/28/18 and everything turned out great. I had a torn rotator cup and I managed to rip every ligament out of my right shoulder. But I didn't break my collarbone though. I went for the real damage instead and now I have to wear a sling for about a month. But I have a really great doctor and he did a great job on putting me back together again. He also told me, that since I'm a bass guitarist. That playing the bass along with PT was the best thing that I can do, to help myself heal faster. So today, I'm going to start off, by playing my Hofner 500/1 bass. Because it's really lite and the tone is awesome too. Along with my two Fenders that I own. One being my American made 1962 Fender Jazz Bass and my other is my 2018 American made Black Fender P Bass. My doctor told me that I can start riding my bike again, in about six months, which is cool. I go out to the garage about every other day, uncover it and I'll start her up and run her for about a minute or a minute and a half. Then I'll shut her down. I do this about every other day or so. I can hardly wait, until I get the green light from my doctor, to start riding again. I'm really jonesing to ride my bike, but not until I'm cleared, to do so by my doctor first. The doctor told me also, that once I start riding again, to take it nice and easy. Keep the speed down and stay on the farm roads for a while. Then in another six months or sooner I can do things, like going on longer rides and maybe do some camping. Anyway, I hope everybody is doing fine and I've got some pictures to post as soon as I can.
Snakesfield

Wonderful news TUP TUP

Sounds to me like your surgeon did a great job.
And yes, unfortunately, it's going to take a while to get back to your old self, but work hard at physio and it will come.
I had shoulder surgery 10 years ago and these days I forget I ever had it and I do anything I always did. I put a lot of effort into the physio routines and it worked! You have to work it and be faithful to the program.
My surgeon is my hero forever TUP TUP

Cool that you're a bass player.

As for starting the engine so often and for only a minute, my concern is that you're introducing moisture into the engine. Moisture is part of combustion and you need a lot of heat to burn it off.
I never start my engines unless I'm going for a ride. My bikes sit from November to April every winter.
Maybe I'm just being old fashioned, but I don't do it.
Others may have a different opinion.

Last edited:
Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom