Get this, it's insane.

It's taching about 3.5k at 95 MPH. I'm not so sure a 900 would do that ride at those speeds with ease for hours on end. Might even tax the 1200.
:y34: Just sitting here "chilling", waiting for someone to respond to that.

So what....u don't believe it tach's 3.5k at that speed? Care to make a wager? I can probably shoot a pic of the gauge at that speed if you can assure me you will paypal me.

ROFLMAO No, I totally believe you. I am waiting for someone to respond to the last half of that quote.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around going 95-100 mph for hours on end BGRIN

Why does it seem to u that it's unbelievable that a 900 would be geared a whole lot lower than a 1700? The theroretical top speed of the Tbird if it were about to pull to redline in 6th, which of course it can't, but if it could that would be 180 MPH. I seriously doubt a bike that much smaller and with 250-300 Lbs less weight is going to have near that theoretical top end meaning it would be much more likely to be spinny rather high to be doing that for a 7 hour ride. The 1200, maybe, but the 900 with it's 5 speed box and 900cc is about as likely to be good for the ride i described as pigs flying. It may do it but the point is to do it with ease.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around going 95-100 mph for hours on end BGRIN
It's really not that big a deal. It gets tiring at times but i spend a lot of that time with my legs on the passenger pegs and leaned over resting on the bars. It's mostly open freeway thru rural areas from south to northern cal. I'm 66 and if i can do it it isn't as hard as it sounds. I am tired as hell when i get there, but again it's not near as bad as it sounds. I'd be tired in car that long too, albeit not as much. If i did 70 all the way i'd likely be a lot more beat due to the extra time in the saddle. The trade off of wind beating me vs time....i'll take the wind. Like i said, leaned over and legs back much of the time helps. I actually enjoy the ride tho. I look at it as a bit of a challange and i feel good about being able to do that at my age. When i can't i will worry. The only real problem is the spine/neck joint gets painfull at times due to the wind blast. I deal with it. I don't ride to be comfortable as in a Cadillac. If i did i;d get a gold wing, but thats not motorcycling IMO.

Why does it seem to u that it's unbelievable that a 900 would be geared a whole lot lower than a 1700? The theroretical top speed of the Tbird if it were about to pull to redline in 6th, which of course it can't, but if it could that would be 180 MPH. I seriously doubt a bike that much smaller and with 250-300 Lbs less weight is going to have near that theoretical top end meaning it would be much more likely to be spinny rather high to be doing that for a 7 hour ride. The 1200, maybe, but the 900 with it's 5 speed box and 900cc is about as likely to be good for the ride i described as pigs flying. It may do it but the point is to do it with ease.

Why are you arguing???!!! I can't respond to a 900's ability to handle those speeds, because I have never tried (and I won't), but I bet someone has tried, and I am waiting for them to respond. Until then, let us both chill a while.

Why are you arguing???!!! I can't respond to a 900's ability to handle those speeds, because I have never tried (and I won't), but I bet someone has tried, and I am waiting for them to respond. Until then, let us both chill a while.
I'm not arguing, I simply responded to a statement that appears to be questioning me in rehtorical and a disrespectful way. If that wasn't intended, sorry. But thats the way your post looked

I think it has a lot to do with the way they gear these cruisers, I am able to sit at 160KM/100MP on the Speedmaster with no real issue. I have no idea what the tac has to say about this as you know the one on the Speedmaser is in such a stupid place you never even think to look at it :LOL:

My Tiger will cruise 85- 90 all day long. I rarely hi 90 -100, The bike will do it; I am just not comfortable at those speeds any more. Getting old! :y23:

Up here, if you get caught doing 160+ kph (100+ mph) you will run afoul of the motor vehicle stunting law which will get you a $2,400.00 fine, your vehicle confiscated and loss of licence for a week - and a poor driving record which can come back to haunt you as it relates to possible future employment.
To me, it's absurd to be going 100 mph on a public road, but if you can get away with it, and put up with the severe wind factor, fill you boots.
My last comment in this thread.

For the record, and i am not exaggerating here, the route i'm talking about the normal flow of traffic is at least 90 Mph. Very few people are going under 90 and i'm not kidding. Seriously....i'm usually only keeping up with traffic and moving away from it at times. Remember, this is a open interstate freeway thru mostly rural areas. And recently here in Ca. they have said HP now allows pretty much any speed w/o stopping anyone if it's the general flow of traffic. Plus u don't even see HP except when going thru major metro areas of which there are about 3 on my route. Then traffic slows to 75-85 for a few miles till you're past the city.

That is not uncommon in the West.

That is not uncommon in the West.
Well, at least thru central Ca it sure is. In L.A. however you will see people doing 90 here and there but the general flow is more like 75-80 i'd say. At least in low traffic. More often than not tho the average speed on L.A. freeways is 0-2 MPH. :banghead: Rush hour in L.A. should be what they do to convicted murderers.

I rarely go into metro areas any more but out in the sticks I have "tested it" a few times. I'm a lot more careful these days after almost head taken off by a turkey out in the sticks. I've had an encounter with a buzzard also.

Funny u mention that. On my trip up noth this year just a couple weeks ago i saw a flock of wild turkeys near a lake for the first time in my life. No incidents or anything, but i pulled over to take a pic and they ran off b4 i could take one. Far as i know there are none down here in co cal, and i've walked thru the mountains here since i was a kid shooting. Never saw a single gobbler.

I can relate to that. My very close call was with a great blue heron! Definitely got my attention.

Sorry to hear about that, I know the dealer your talking about and I've audited them (flooring audit) and they were one of the "good dealers", I know a guy who got a new America for $4,999 new/old stock from them.

But I understand the insult, reality is, put it on line for under $2,000 and you'll sell it (not a lot of great bikes for around $1,800 out there.

I got my 2014 Thunderbird Commander with 779 miles, with Triumph windscreen and only one year prior registration, for $5,648 plus taxes and etc. from Malcolm Smith's; near where you went.

Plus a $499 recondition fee, for what an oil change and inspection? Oh well, it was $7,000 out the door. After, the finance guy while trying hard to get me to buy a warranty, informed me that "they only made money on the $499 recon fee". :cry::cool:

So, be patient and look around, winter is around the corner and those California dealers will be dealing in late Oct-March. Bought mine in April, they had it for two months and I used that against them; original asking price was $9,999.

Carl, running a smaller bike is cool and fun, but after owning three bikes over 1500 cc with the last one being a VTX1800 and now a 1700 Thunderbird, it's hard to go down that far in cc's, you miss the power; unless you go sports bike and I fear with my confidence, I'll hurt myself on one of those. I have to respect the weight and power of my bike and I'm still loving it's handling; way better than the VTX.

Rode my friend's 900 Bonnie and liked it a lot, it would be especially fun where I live in the mountains, but for longer rides and climbing from sea level to 8,000 ft with freeway riding in between. I can't get enough of that fat mid-range power the big cruisers have.

Dazco, if your looking at smaller bikes, I'm really liking the Speedmaster 1200, feels light and is sized like the smaller Bonnie, but better power to weight.

I'm in Arrowbear if you ever want to ride.

You got an extremely exceptional deal. Commanders with much more mileage than that generally go for $9k or more at dealers. I know cuz i keep my eye on cycletrader. I love the paint on the commanders, both the red and silver. Never heard of this malcolm smith but i'll have to check them out if thats a typical deal for them.

Sorry to hear about that, I know the dealer your talking about and I've audited them (flooring audit) and they were one of the "good dealers", I know a guy who got a new America for $4,999 new/old stock from them.

But I understand the insult, reality is, put it on line for under $2,000 and you'll sell it (not a lot of great bikes for around $1,800 out there.

I got my 2014 Thunderbird Commander with 779 miles, with Triumph windscreen and only one year prior registration, for $5,648 plus taxes and etc. from Malcolm Smith's; near where you went.

Plus a $499 recondition fee, for what an oil change and inspection? Oh well, it was $7,000 out the door. After, the finance guy while trying hard to get me to buy a warranty, informed me that "they only made money on the $499 recon fee". :cry::cool:

So, be patient and look around, winter is around the corner and those California dealers will be dealing in late Oct-March. Bought mine in April, they had it for two months and I used that against them; original asking price was $9,999.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom