Hedon Retro Helmets

Greg

Local time
Today, 04:51
First Name
Greg
My Ride
Triumph Bonneville
I'm thinking of getting a new helmet. One that suits my Bonnie more (and my retro tastes!). I've come across these awesome helmets, made by a London company, Hedon.

What do people think?

image.jpg

I don't know anything about them, but they look good.

This is my Aria Freeway, which I can't fault, it's the 2nd one I've had and it's supremely comfortable, I also have an Aria full face for rainy days, which again is supremely comfortable.
Another company that caters for the retro look is Davida Davida :Manufacture and Worldwide Distribution of Motorcycle Helmets,Goggles,Vacuum Gauges and Accessories . which you may have already considered. My friend recently bought a davida helmet and raves about it, I stuck it on my bonce and hated it. The helmet that your thinking of getting is very similar to the one's that I've mentioned above. I lived in spain for almost 6 years, and would always use my Aria Freeway. On a sunny day you can't beat an open face helmet, until that is a fly hits you right on the end of your nose :)

img_0150-jpg.30892

That is a beautiful thing. I love the Triumph visor too. Is that a Meriden twin in the background?

I wear an HJC flip-up helmet most of the time, but also have an open face with a shield.
It really doesn't get so hot here that an open face helmet is the most comfortable, but for a day ride on my vintage bikes I wear this HJC helmet, mainly because it's more in keeping with "the vintage look."
I prefer white helmets for the visibility factor and I need a face shield against bugs.
I used to wear a complete open-face and goggles, but soon tired of hits to the face.

HJC 2.jpg

You raise a very good point with the bugs @Rocky. I'd certainly be getting a full visor with an open face helmet. I'm leaning very much to the totally retro look.

Very cool engine display TUP
It looked small so at first I thought it might be a model instead of a real engine.

I have two Shoei Neotecs (the full face flip up with the internal retractable sun visor - one black helmet, one white), one Shoei full face flip up (predecessor to the Neotec) without the retractable sun visor, and one Nolan full face flip up with a retractable sun visor like the Neotec. Last September on a warm day, I decided to wear a half helmet on a planned 150 mile ride; the main reason I wore the half helmet is because it looked "badder" than a full face helmet, and secondly because of the warm weather.

Keep in mind I have been riding continuously for over 50 years and hadn't had an accident or even a tip over that was my fault during that entire period.

To make a long story short, I was riding way too fast, went off the road, hit some rocks and ended up being thrown off the bike face down into some large (bigger than a breadbox) rocks. I needed 9 stitches in my right upper lip, my right upper eyelid was split and had to be sewn back together by a plastic surgeon specializing in eye surgery, I shattered all of the bones inside my right eye socket, and broke a few ribs and vertebra. The worst result was that with the shattered bone anchors used by my right eye's controlling muscles, I had double vision for about 5 months while the bones and muscles healed. I am just now getting rid of the double vision. However, my right cheekbone area is still sore and very tender to the touch and the vision in my right eye can no longer be corrected to 20/20. I was very lucky to have not totally lost my right eye.

I will never wear a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet again - NEVER; a full face helmet now goes on BEFORE I ride. None of the facial or eye injuries would have occurred with a full face helmet.

When you read something like this, you do wonder why anyone ( including me ) would ride with an open face helmet.
Glad that your as good as can be. Hope that you continue to make progress in the areas that you've mentioned.

Morrow of the story has always been "dress for the CRASH,not the ride".
Tupperware and jeans do not count as protective gear.

Not had one myself, but a friend of mine had a Bell lid, not 100% which one, and he said that it was VERY noisy.

Now have ridden about 6,000 miles without issues since the accident in late 2016. I still caution those who wear half or 3/4 helmets for the "look" that they are being foolish, but then there are still those even more foolish who do not wear helmets. Motorcycle riding is extremely popular in the Ozark mountains where I live and I hear about a motorcyclist fatality at least once a month (yes, we ride all year around here; its mid-winter now and I have ridden over 500 miles this month) and its usually a head injury.

Keep in mind I rode over 50 years before I had an accident where a helmet was needed. A serious accident can happen to anyone at anytime.

By the way 90% of my last 6,000 or so miles have been on a 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special that weighs in at about 1,000 lbs. wet, and 90% of those miles have been on curvy, up and down mountain highways. So I am not just putt-putting around city streets. During my groups last ride of about 150 miles, we probably averaged over 60 miles an hour on roads with lots of 25-30 mph curves.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom