Hello gentlemen

Scotty Bates

Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
First Name
Scotty
My Ride
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
I had posted a problem awhile back concerning oil and water coming out of the breather tube, and after further investgation, found that i indeed have a failed head gasket. Due to the damage the coolant caused to the head, ive decided to find a used head to remedy the situation. If it was any other bike, i wouldve cut my losses, and parted her out, but i brought her back from the dead, and only got to ride her about 1000 miles after 2 years work. If you guys have any tips as far as reassembly n such, please feel free to shoot some advice my way. Ive formed an attachment to this bike, and refuse to give it up, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

shanered6

Time for adventure
Riding for 43 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 06:27
First Name
shane llywarch
My Ride
Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 ntx
I would check the barrels and the second hand head and make sure there not warped ..... and if you can afford it i would have them skimmed to make sure there perfectly flat .
I would reseat the valves and and maybe new rings (depending on milage ) use a good quality top end gasket set , if you like the bike and want it wright its worth doing it properly and if you dont have the budget just do as much as you can .

CarlS

Big Kahuna
Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 01:27
First Name
Carl
My Ride
12 Tiger 800 XC
Scotty, welcome to TT from Florida.

Scotty Bates

Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
First Name
Scotty
My Ride
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
I would check the barrels and the second hand head and make sure there not warped ..... and if you can afford it i would have them skimmed to make sure there perfectly flat .
I would reseat the valves and and maybe new rings (depending on milage ) use a good quality top end gasket set , if you like the bike and want it wright its worth doing it properly and if you dont have the budget just do as much as you can .
Thank you for your input, and yes, im on a tight budget because i just bought a 2015 Indian Roadmaster to fill in for my Trophy.

Qship

Smile, you're on camera. Somewhere.
Riding for 39 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 02:27
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
Welcome to TT. Hope you are successful in getting your Trophy running great again. Let us know how you make out.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom