Gandolf

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
Today, 03:11
First Name
steve
My Ride
1960 Bonneville T120
Hi guys, my mate has a t120 Bonneville, he has dyslexia which is why i am here on his behalf, the right hand side exhaust is hot and the left hand side is tepid, he has a 1960 120. things i have done, compression test one kick 25ppf, 4 kicks 75ppf on both cylinders, ive swapped the carbs over, and the coils nothing makes any difference, ive set the tappets cold to 2tho inlet and 4thou exhaust, has any one heard of a this ,or know any reason why this would be happening. cheers steve

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 4 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 19:11
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Initially, I might have said the two cylinders are burning unequally, but you don't mention a loss of power or straining to maintain speed. Therefore, the thought comes to mind that the left-hand side exhaust has a partial blockage, forcing most of the exhaust out the right-hand side.

I might be wrong; I don't have many years of experience, but this does explain the difference, logically.

Gandolf

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
First Name
steve
My Ride
1960 Bonneville T120
Initially, I might have said the two cylinders are burning unequally, but you don't mention a loss of power or straining to maintain speed. Therefore, the thought comes to mind that the left-hand side exhaust has a partial blockage, forcing most of the exhaust out the right-hand side.

I might be wrong; I don't have many years of experience, but this does explain the difference, logically.
its one exhaust per cylinder, no connecting pipe, i stood at the rear with a hand in front of each pipe, and the rhs has warm gasses and the lhs cool, the lhs one does get hot eventually but no where near the rhs one, which was the reason for swapping the carbs over and then the coils, when i adjust the air screw on the lhs all though it makes it run a little rough it still keeps going, but if i do it on the rhs it stalls, both the air screw are set to one and a half turns out, and i only adjust very slightly, the same thing occurs when the carbs are swapped over, it has electronic ignition fitted, when testing for a spark manually both are strong, ive tried the plugs in both sides and that makes no difference, i have personally not ridden it, but my friend said he noticed no loss of power the factor to check was the colour of the pipes. rhs clear blue for around 6 inches down from port, left hand side is still chrome colour. it has me puzeled.

Gandolf

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
First Name
steve
My Ride
1960 Bonneville T120
its one exhaust per cylinder, no connecting pipe, i stood at the rear with a hand in front of each pipe, and the rhs has warm gasses and the lhs cool, the lhs one does get hot eventually but no where near the rhs one, which was the reason for swapping the carbs over and then the coils, when i adjust the air screw on the lhs all though it makes it run a little rough it still keeps going, but if i do it on the rhs it stalls, both the air screw are set to one and a half turns out, and i only adjust very slightly, the same thing occurs when the carbs are swapped over, it has electronic ignition fitted, when testing for a spark manually both are strong, ive tried the plugs in both sides and that makes no difference, i have personally not ridden it, but my friend said he noticed no loss of power the factor to check was the colour of the pipes. rhs clear blue for around 6 inches down from port, left hand side is still chrome colour. it has me puzeled.
i will swap ht leads over today as i forgot to do that yesterday, i am also going to check fuel flow from each tap, and drop a timing light on the ht leads while it is running, other than that i am at a loss.

Qship

Riding for 40 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 23:11
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
This forum is for the newer T120s. May get viewed by someone with more experience on the older T120s posting in the classics section.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville
There are a couple of very knowledgeable members monitoring the classics section.
That's where you should direct your questions about the Meriden T120's.

Gandolf

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
First Name
steve
My Ride
1960 Bonneville T120
Think ive sussed it any way, timig light not flashing on lhs, pointing towards electronic ignition box, but yeh will look for the classic section.

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 4 Years
Local time
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
Sounds like you're well on your way to finding the source of the problem. Posting your question in the recommended section will get you verification.

Gandolf

Riding for 45 Years
Local time
First Name
steve
My Ride
1960 Bonneville T120
I have found the problem, First question i asked my friend was are the plugs new, his reply was yes. i should have tested them under load, i replaced the lhs plug and got an improvement, so that led me to raise the slide on the lhs, slowly i could hear the engine pick up , so i removed the carb and stripped it down, both side plug where wet, so i removed all the jets and internals and cleaned with carb cleaner, i also lowered the needle both sides by one notch, This improved its running , after i adjusted the mixture screws on both carbs its like new again, both pipes getting hot equally. Initially i thought that the mk3 box was at fault, but because it ran on one that could not have been the case as it contains a switching diode so moral of the story is check the basics first, despite what your told. Thanks for all your help.

Rocky

Still Rocking
Riding for 29 Years
Administrator
Staff
Local time
First Name
Rocky
My Ride
2006 T100 Bonneville

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 4 Years
Local time
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
Good work. Sehr Schön, Gandalf.

triumph david

Riding for 61 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 21:11
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
Glad you found the problem, alot of times its something simple.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom