How do I check the wear on my rear brake pads?

Chris Davis

Local time
Today, 11:09
I have only done 1300 miles so far, in a couple of months, so I am not really worried about the pads yet but I have no idea how I can get to look at the pads on my rear discs at the unit is buried behind the exhaust and in the middle of the wheel. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry I have no idea but hope one of the other members may have some

Hi Chris - welcome.

Does the handbook not have some info on this?

:y2:

I've never had anything to do with Sprint GT's, so ...

If you can't inspest the thickness of your pads when in place, how about undoing the caliper, gently lifting it off the disc while still connected to the hose. Check it out and then reverse the process.

I have an telescopic mirror about the same size that dentists use, you may be able to look around corners using that kind of thing.

Another thing to watch is, most rear master cylinders have small capacity, if the fluid level drops it's a good indercation that the pads are on the way out.

Final comment regarding rear discs. If you do end up with metal to metal and mark your disc it isn't a big deal, put new pads in and forget about the scoring. The new pads will bed in to the used disc and still work fine.

Thanks. The handbook doesn't help at all! I like the idea of the mirror or taking of the calliper, although that sounds like hard work. I am going to try using my iPhone on video mode as I don't have an angled mirror! I will let you know if that works! Cheers Chris

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?af3qdr

Thanks. The handbook doesn't help at all! I like the idea of the mirror or taking of the calliper, although that sounds like hard work. I am going to try using my iPhone on video mode as I don't have an angled mirror! I will let you know if that works! Cheers Chris

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?af3qdr

Is this your blue Mini? :y2:

ScreenHunter_19 Mar. 16 18.23.jpg

I also have one of those dentist-type mirrors and it has come in handy many times.

I was going to say that there MUST be some angle to see the brake pads even if you have to put the bike on the center stand and lay down and look at it from below. You did remove the pannier on that side right?

The drop in the level of the brake fluid is also a great suggestion as an indicator.

I was going to say that there MUST be some angle to see the brake pads even if you have to put the bike on the center stand and lay down and look at it from below. You did remove the pannier on that side right?

The drop in the level of the brake fluid is also a great suggestion as an indicator.
I agree, it can't (shouldn't) be as difficult as all that. There has to be a way to eyeball it from some angle even if it's from down on the ground.
But I have no experience with this bike so I'm just talking off the top of my head.

Otherwise,

Love the pic of Kiki's mini, my wife. Sadly it's been knocked since google maps got this and so has its replacement! She's given up on original mini's as a result. It's a real shame as they are great cars!

Cheers Chris

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have indeed taken off the panniers and had a good look from many angles, however, I tend to agree there must be a way of seeing the pads. I will have a good look this weekend and let you know how I get on!

Cheers Chris

Otherwise,

Love the pic of Kiki's mini, my wife. Sadly it's been knocked since google maps got this and so has its replacement!

You think it may have something to do with her MINI being the only vehicle on the entire street parked in the opposite direction from the rest? Maybe it's a one way street?? :y2:

Otherwise,

Love the pic of Kiki's mini, my wife. Sadly it's been knocked since google maps got this and so has its replacement! She's given up on original mini's as a result. It's a real shame as they are great cars!

Cheers Chris

That's a really sad story, I sure hope they were insured.
That blue Mini with flag on top looked great, I've been thinking about giving an open face helmet the flag treatment.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom