How Long Did Your Pirelli Phantom's Last?

Charp

Local time
Yesterday, 20:24
My Ride
Street Twin
I've had my ST for about 19 months and have put around 11K miles on it. The rear tire looks like it could go another 5K miles, but the front tread is get is getting close to the wear bars. Is this normal? It seems I always hear that the rear tire goes much faster. I do have only 2 years riding under my belt and I'm not an aggressive rider, so that could explain the extended wear on the rear, but no such much with the front.

In any event, I'll soon be looking for new tires for the first time in my riding career. As such, I'm interested to hear the opinion of others regarding the following:
  • Should I buy 2 new tires or just the front since there's good wear left on the rear?
  • What tires do you ST owners recommend?
  • Is changing tires and balancing a DIY thing or is it best to take it to a reputable shop?
  • Any other advice?
Thanks!

Buy two new tyres, anything is better than the Pirelli Phantoms and get them balanced at a reputable shop. A lot of owners change to Continental or Avon tyres with good results.

I just learned what most of you probably already know - it's way cheaper to pull the wheels off yourself when getting new tires than it is to have a shop do it for you. A local shop where I live quoted something like $250 for just labor. Ouch.

So, now I'm looking into how I can remove the wheels. Tools are not the problem for me - it's getting the wheels off the ground. I'm thinking a scissor lift will do the job, because I saw it done in videos from View from the Man Cave. However, in that video which indicates it's a ST, he has Scrambler like exhausts install, so it leaves me uncertain whether or not it will work

Has anyone done this with a scissor lift on their ST? Other successful methods?

Thanks!

Best thing you could buy is a center stand. I think they are available in the USA from Triumph and TEC.

Scissor lift will work fine. Just make sure your bike is strapped down so it cannot tip over when it's up on the lift. Like suggested, a center stand would be a good purchase as then a lot of maintenance can be performed without the lift.

I found Phantoms to be terrible on my T120. I switched to Avon Spirits, much better but didn't last very long. I now have Metzeler Roadtecs - good handling and good longevity.

Thanks all for the great suggestions/advice.

@Qship Any suggestions on strapping down the bike. Is there way to do that in a garage where there are no anchor points?

Thanks all for the great suggestions/advice.

@Qship Any suggestions on strapping down the bike. Is there way to do that in a garage where there are no anchor points?
Can locate the studs or rafters and install some hard mounts to secure your bike with straps while on the lift. You don't need to take the weight of the bike, just enough to steady it from reaching a tipping point.

Can locate the studs or rafters and install some hard mounts to secure your bike with straps while on the lift. You don't need to take the weight of the bike, just enough to steady it from reaching a tipping point.
I finally figured out that if I park the bike perpendicular to the wall, I could run two straps to anchor points on the wall (I used what I think are called eye bolts). As you pointed out, this provides just enough tension to steady the bike. Thanks for the suggestions.

For the scissor lift, I was able to make it work by placing a piece of wood in a spot that supports the bike's weight on the frame without touching the parts that stick out below the frame. I placed the lift towards the front of the bike to get just the front wheel off the ground. The rear did rise up a bit as well, so I used some shims to help support the rear tire just in case the weight rocked back after removing the front tire.

With this method, I'm sure I can do one wheel at a time, but I think I could also get both wheels up at the same time with the lift centered under the bike with some well placed bits of wood to keep the weight on the frame. It's just a little scary the first first time you raise your baby up off the ground. :)

I finally figured out that if I park the bike perpendicular to the wall, I could run two straps to anchor points on the wall (I used what I think are called eye bolts). As you pointed out, this provides just enough tension to steady the bike. Thanks for the suggestions.

For the scissor lift, I was able to make it work by placing a piece of wood in a spot that supports the bike's weight on the frame without touching the parts that stick out below the frame. I placed the lift towards the front of the bike to get just the front wheel off the ground. The rear did rise up a bit as well, so I used some shims to help support the rear tire just in case the weight rocked back after removing the front tire.

With this method, I'm sure I can do one wheel at a time, but I think I could also get both wheels up at the same time with the lift centered under the bike with some well placed bits of wood to keep the weight on the frame. It's just a little scary the first first time you raise your baby up off the ground. :)
Thats what I have done on my Thunderbird for 12 years and never a issue. (wood with cutout for drain plug) And i have never even strapped it down ! (It's 750 Lbs!) For tires i would look at the avon spirit for the rear. Easily the best tire i ever used and i've used em all pretty much. For the front the best has been the avon cobra chrome. I tried the spirit up front but the cobra handles the same or a bit better and outlasts the spirit front by a lot. They work together just fine. I see no reason that combo would be as great on your bike as the Tbird. You will likely get 20k from the cobra if not even more.

Heard people saying that the Pirelli Phantom's that Triumph fit are very poor.

My bike was is now 6 months old....T100....and is fitted with the std with Pirelli Phantom's

Done around 1500 mls.....I dont push my bike anywhere near its limits and I dont find and probs with Pirelli Phantom's it fitted with.

What sort of problems are people find that I need to look out for.

Heard people saying that the Pirelli Phantom's that Triumph fit are very poor.

My bike was is now 6 months old....T100....and is fitted with the std with Pirelli Phantom's

Done around 1500 mls.....I dont push my bike anywhere near its limits and I dont find and probs with Pirelli Phantom's it fitted with.

What sort of problems are people find that I need to look out for.
The Phantoms are not very good in damp conditions at all - after all, they were designed over 30 years ago. It's only when you go to better, more modern tyres that you realise how poor the Phantoms are. Royal Enfield have stopped fitting them to their 650s and now fit Indian made tyres (CEAT). I fitted Avon Storms and they are so much better than the old school Phantoms. However, if you never ride in the rain, you may be happy with the original tyres till they need replacing.

The Phantoms are not very good in damp conditions at all - after all, they were designed over 30 years ago. It's only when you go to better, more modern tyres that you realise how poor the Phantoms are. Royal Enfield have stopped fitting them to their 650s and now fit Indian made tyres (CEAT). I fitted Avon Storms and they are so much better than the old school Phantoms. However, if you never ride in the rain, you may be happy with the original tyres till they need replacing.
I see.....I never go out in the rain....fair weather biker......but can always get caught out.....so I will bare it in mind to take extra care on wet roads.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom