How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

I have a Speed Twin and the manual says 16.000km or 12 months. I do not do 16.000km a year. I do around 7.000km. And I do change oil and filter between 5000km and 6000km. I am doing this around 40 years and never got any problem. Said that, even written at the manual, I do not feel comfortable in changing oil only in 16.000km even before a year on the road. And, despite everything, I will continue with my routine. It will not hurt my pocket and certainly will not ruin the engine+gear-box. Stay safe
I agree, carry on doing what you're doing TUP TUP

When I was researching the oil change on my 2014 Thunderbird Commander on youtube I came across a model that may have been yours, that have two drain plugs and old oil can be left in if not drained from the correct one... or both. Since it wasn't my model I didn't worry about it and didn't finish it.

We are supposed to change it?
NEXT your going to tell me the coolant needs changed as well????? And the Blinker fluid right?

NEXT your going to tell me the coolant needs changed as well????? And the Blinker fluid right?
Yes. Every two years you should change the coolant liquid. Aluminum corrodes over time and fluid-to-coolant ratio changes too. At least these two items may cause extra heat on the engine and may damage components. The engine is a machine full of moving components that wear out over time and also all liquid or solid components together wear out over time.

You don't change the blinker fluid???? We have to swap out the summer blinker fluid for the winter stuff or ours will freeze up here in the Great White North. ;) ;)
Welcome back Keys

Hey Q been a long while--- many the roads Ive traveled and a few bumpy ones for sure since last hanging out in this particular opium den--- glad to be back Will try and check in on you miscreants more often ;)

Totally forgot about coolant changes . Our 92 Camry was 12 years old and had 378 kms on it before we let it go . When it was 8 or 10 years from new my mechanic suggested it be changed despite the fact that it looked like new . He had just purchased a coolant tester that not only checked it’s resistance to freezing but also the contaminant levels etc. The old antifreeze past with flying colours . Don’t think it ever got changed .

Hey Q been a long while--- many the roads Ive traveled and a few bumpy ones for sure since last hanging out in this particular opium den--- glad to be back Will try and check in on you miscreants more often ;)
Hey Keys welcome back bud ..... how's the green goddess doing ?

Hey Keys welcome back bud ..... how's the green goddess doing ?
HEY SHANE!!!!! how you doin Bubba??
GiGi is doing STELLAR she LOVES da SWAMP! Palm trees cool breeze.............................and RUM ;)

Attachments

• 10-26 ride 2.jpg
    10-26 ride 2.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 10-26 ride 1.jpg
    10-26 ride 1.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 2
I have a 16’ Rocket Roadster and I do my own wrenching. I change the oil every 7-8k with castrol synthetic and a high quality filter. Anything less than that with synthetic is just wasting money.

I have a 16’ Rocket Roadster and I do my own wrenching. I change the oil every 7-8k with castrol synthetic and a high quality filter. Anything less than that with synthetic is just wasting money.
Totally agree , full synthetic is the cat’s meow . Use it in both bikes , the push mower and the ride on .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom