Bruh...

Riding for 21 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 21:06
First Name
Ryan
My Ride
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
I see there have been many baffle-ectomy posts here, but non for this exhaust. I did some research, and this exhaust is a little more difficult to baffle-ectomy than others.
So I am posting this for others who have this generation bike and pipes. By my best judgement, it should work on the 900 also. My bike is a 1998 Trophy 1200.

I pulled the pipes off. Hole sawing around the exit would have been a pain, and completely removed the baffle. Im not looking for ear bleeding loud, and didnt want to drastically effect the performance of the bike.
What I have done below made no discernible difference in performance, and 70mph highway speeds is only slightly louder, but still easily able to withstand for extended riding. The idle is a little louder, and bike ahs more "grunt" to it. My biggest complaint with the stock exhaust was it was so quiet, it was like driving a prius...

So. I started with 4 holes around the center exit at 12, 3, 6, and 9. Started with 1/4". Barely any difference. Left 3 and 9 same, and upped 12 and 6 to 3/8" Still almost nothing.
Extended all 4 to 3/8". No we are getting somewhere! I could actually hear the bike at idle! I drove it like this for two weeks to make sure there was no performance issues, as this was an easily reversible modification.
Bike ran just the same as before.
So i increased the all 4 to 1/2" diameter. As you can see in the video, idle has some throat to it, and (sorry for poor camera skills), some decent grunt when you crack the whip. Highway speeds you can hear the exhaust, but not as loud as if I went with the akaprovic slip ons. Performance remained the same, and you hear very light pops on deceleration, but nothing alarming or annoying. Once again, less than if you went full slip on.

Below are the before and after videos.

Hope this helps future owners who want to make their older trophy's just a little louder, but not ear piercingly loud with essentially straight pipe slip ons!

Thanks,

-The Redneck who cant leave :shit: alone...

Last edited:

triumph david

Riding for 60 Years
Staff
Local time
Yesterday, 20:06
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
Excellent!!!!!!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Top Bottom