Installing Center Stand Frustrations

chadtx

Local time
Yesterday, 23:13
First Name
Chad Johnson
My Ride
2011 Bonneville T100
Wow. That was frustrating. Finally got the center stand installed on my T100. I am not a mechanic and prefer to let the experts do maintenance and install on my bikes. I have done things like luggage, luggage racks, windshields, handlebar risers, changed oil, etc. And usually all of these tasks present their headaches--at least for me.

As for the center stand, here were my frustrations.

1) The instructions said nothing about removing the front sprocket cover in order to fit the spring retainer--nor how a torque wrench is supposed to fit into these incredibly small spaces. $##$$#!! :y4: Also, I guess I have a California model even though I am in Oklahoma (??How can I confirm this?) because I had to move the evaporator canister as well. (Since I'm not in CA can I remove this? Will it affect performance?)Took me awhile just to complete step 1. :y7:

2) It doesn't appear the instructions (for part number A9758145) are really geared for the T100 and the pipes shown and stopper instructions don't seem to match. Says to put the stopper in the rear hole--there is one on the T100 but put there it comes in NO contact with the center stand and is essentially worthless. :y14:

3) So I put the stopper extension on the front hole--there was already a rubber stopper there. This helped but the stand still comes into contact with the pipes and now they are scratched. At rest the center stand is off the pipes but when it swings back into position it hits the pipes every time. I hate scratches on my chrome! :y93:
If anyone has any suggestions for adjusting the stand or pipes or whatever so that the stand comes in better contact with the stopper, I'm all ears.

4) As everyone says, getting the spring onto the spring retainer was a bear. My body aches all over from that task :y20:

5) The replacement bank angle indicators would not fit into the foot rests. I tried for a loooonnnnggg time and all I did was strip the threads within the foot rest. I was lucky to get the original indicators back on. Never could get the replacements on. Any suggestions? :y8:

6) For the first time ever, I dropped my bike trying to get it up on the center stand. I researched this online and tried the "put all weight on step, pull up on rear frame triangle"--bike falls over. Nice. :y1: Fortunately, nothing was damaged as it fell into the side of my shed/garage and only knocked the mirror loose.

So in the end, I am glad I got it installed but it would have been worth $65 or whatever to have the mechanic do it. I'm exhausted, have scratches on my left pipe, and don't have the proper bank angle indicators on. Sigh.

Last edited:
Wow man that's terrible!

Are you positive this particular stand was for your year Bonneville?

I wish I could help you, but I've never owned a new Bonneville (only old Meridan ones).

For installing the spring....maybe an old fashioned set of automobile drum brake tool (like pliers with hooks on the ends for installing the springs) would have done the job?

I have installed three of them and it is a bear. It really is a two person job.

Wow man that's terrible!

Are you positive this particular stand was for your year Bonneville?

I wish I could help you, but I've never owned a new Bonneville (only old Meridan ones).

For installing the spring....maybe an old fashioned set of automobile drum brake tool (like pliers with hooks on the ends for installing the springs) would have done the job?

I tried to makes sure and order the right one, but all these issues did have me wondering. As far as I can tell I got the correct part number. The instructions often just use pictures for either the T100 or Bonneville/SE b/c they are so similar. Unfortunately, it can cause confusion.

The fact that the stopper doesn't align properly seems to indicate a mismatch.

I know when I changed my silencers on my Trophy to a set of Staintunes, the kickstand stopper rubber didn't align at all. But I also knew that Triumph began putting longer sidestands on later model years, so I knew what the problem was.

BTW...when I lift my bikes onto the centre stand, I actually don't pull up on the bike as much as I do use my leg and foot to push DOWN. My hand is actually more holding the bike than it is pulling up.

Carl! Now you tell me! LOL. :y2:

:y2: :y2: I also found that, contrary to the instructions, with two people, you can hook the spring up and one person holds the stand in place while the other person starts the bolts. It makes it easier.

I also found that it is money well spent getting a qualified mechanic to do some jobs ........ then again I also found getting an electrician in to change a light bulb in the house works out less expensive and easer for me BGRIN

The strange thing is way back I would only do my own work on my bikes down to stripping and replacing parts in a gearbox but I just seemed to have lost that ability now. I don't have a place to work on a bike and the tools to do it. Not having the correct tool is always the big thing for me :y7:

I also found that it is money well spent getting a qualified mechanic to do some jobs ........ then again I also found getting an electrician in to change a light bulb in the house works out less expensive and easer for me BGRIN

The strange thing is way back I would only do my own work on my bikes down to stripping and replacing parts in a gearbox but I just seemed to have lost that ability now. I don't have a place to work on a bike and the tools to do it. Not having the correct tool is always the big thing for me :y7:

Ain't that the truth. It's all about the tools. I've lost count of the number of projects I've started on, stripping down the motorcycle (or plumbing), only to discover I don't have the right wrench or size hex key, etc. Arrrrggghhh.

I should add, after looking this up all over the internet, that I believe I do have the correct part (A9758145) for the T100. I should also add that the center stand does not lift either tire off the ground completely. I am able to spin the back tire by pushing up a little on the bike, but neither tire is suspended in air.

Yeah well I used to have all the tools I needed until they were stolen from me and now I just have the basic stuff. Then again once again I don't really have a place to work on a bike these days so I suppose no point in having all those great tool if I still cannot use them.

I should add, after looking this up all over the internet, that I believe I do have the correct part (A9758145) for the T100. I should also add that the center stand does not lift either tire off the ground completely. I am able to spin the back tire by pushing up a little on the bike, but neither tire is suspended in air.
It seems odd to me that the correct factory part doesn't lift the bike high enough to free the rear tire. The center stand was never intended to lift the front tire off the ground anyway. The only way I can do that is by putting the bike up on the center stand and using a hydraulic floor jack under the frame (under the engine) to raise the front end slightly.
I didn't know it was such a fuss to install the center stand. I had the dealer install the stand for me while the bike was still in the shop waiting for winter to be over so I could ride it home. If it's that much trouble I'm glad I had the dealer do it.
I have installed center stands on other bikes and all went well, but I agree that installing the spring(s) can be a bear.

I agree with Rocky; if it is the proper stand for your bike, it should lift the rear wheel clear of the ground easily. I suspect that Triumph has two different center stands because the SE in lower than the T100. The two stands is a guess on my part. I know they have a center stand for the Tiger 800 and another for the Tiger XC.

BTW chadtx, what year is your T100?

You know, this has me questioning if it is the right stand. Just came in from examining it and it looks like it is too short for the bike. I am trying to verify through the dealer about the part and part number. My big question is, if this is not the correct stand, then where is one for the T100? I have searched all the major aftermarket and OEM sites (BC, newbonneville, pure-triumph, etc) and they all list the same ones--either part ...8008 for earlier models or ...8145 for later models. I have not seen any triumph stand advertised explicitly for the t100--actually they often do list the t100 along with the regular Bonny and the se.

For most parts and accessories I have had no problems with Triumph or the aftermarket shops. But it is crazy how confusing it is to find out if this is the correct part or not. I will say that it "obviously" is not the right part given how it does not hit the correct stop on the pipe, thus the side stand rests against the center stand when up; and it does not lift the back tire off the ground. Most of the specs for the stands say that part number ending in ...8008 is for VINs up to 377k or something like that and part number ...8145 is for "All Bonneville models" (as it says on some sites) after VIN 377k...

But I have just found a few sites that say the ...8008 is the one for the T100. Aarrrgghhh! :y100:

Hopefully, the dealer I ordered this stand from will exchange it, if need be, without any problems. I'm waiting to hear...

Oh, as to the frustrations with installation--it is also about doing it for the first time. I know it will be much easier and take much less time doing it again--very much like home plumbing jobs.

Hopefully, the dealer I ordered this stand from will exchange it, if need be, without any problems. I'm waiting to hear...

Well if they have given you the incorrect one I would hope they would also fit it for you after all the aggravation you have gone through fitting it in the first place

I still need to put one on my bike just for that reason but it's one of those tasks I think about and then only when I need it think about it again lol

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom