K&N Oil And Air Filters

If you need to use the nut on a kn oil filter its too tight. I used a couple but changed to MANN after reading of splitting. I also used a kn air filter but as said in earlier posts too much messing about cleaning and oiling went back to paper.

Anyone out there have any experence using K&N oil and air filters? I've heard good things of them from a limited amount of people. My bike is a 2003 America.
That's the only brand that I use. My bike is a 2012 Speedmaster and has the K&N on the efi bodies and the crankcase vent. Great products- I've used them for years on my truck and jeep.

Ive used K&N oil filters a lot without any trouble . that nut on the top comes in very handy especially if the bike has a front mounted oil filter living smack in the middle of the header pipes its about the only sensible option sometimes without getting creative .Always use a dab of oil and never over tighten dont be to heavy handed swinging on the wrench. That seems to have worked for me so far .Will use K&N air and oil filters on my Tiger 1200 soon as its due a service shortly .Will give any constructive feed back afterwards .

Pleated paper air filter from Triumph or HiFlo. Oiled filters don't catch the small debris that does the damage. Which pretty much explains why they flow so much air.

HiFlo oil filters ONLY (they're the manufacturer of the Triumph OEM filters under private label as I understand it.) If you can't find a HiFlo - go for a WIX brand as they're also a very well respected and high quality filter.

There are many oil filter comparison videos. Watch one. You will learn much about what to use or not to use.

Hey everyone, a while back I put a K&N air filter on my 03 America. At 2,500 miles I pulled the plugs to have a look. White as a sheet - with the baffled factory pipes. If you put this filter on your bike, plan on doing some carb work.

Probably not, see how the bike goes. If there is a lot of 'popping' on overrun or the bike feels a bit gutless or the plugs look lighter than they are with the standard set up then look into it. My guess it will be ok.
Trevor, you are on the money with your post! Posted earlier about the plugs, after 2.5k miles pulled them are they were white (running lean). Thanks for your help!

Not that impressed with K&N. I live in a very dusty environment. Just not fine enough filtration to suit me. I never saw a reason to doubt the filtration provided by the factory in the first place. ...J.D.

Hey everyone, a while back I put a K&N air filter on my 03 America. At 2,500 miles I pulled the plugs to have a look. White as a sheet - with the baffled factory pipes. If you put this filter on your bike, plan on doing some carb work.
Yes, you are spot on. With carbs, anytime you change the air flow - either by exhaust or intake - you have to change the fuel flow to match it. If you change the fuel flow, you have to change the air flow to match it. Fuel injection does this automatically - within reason.
But givem where I live and how I ride, I will nevder
Not that impressed with K&N. I live in a very dusty environment. Just not fine enough filtration to suit me. I never saw a reason to doubt the filtration provided by the factory in the first place. ...J.D.
I agree with you 100%. I experienced this with my diesel truck. If I were riding strictly in a clean urban environment, I might use a K&N if I never rode in a dusty environment. My engines are far more valuable than the precious few HP gained by less filtration.

Used a K&N air filter in my VTX 1300 Honda and got a noticeable improvement in torque. I have bought one for my (new to me ) 2014 America

Oil filters, not so much, I avoid. But have used many in-the-box Air Filters over the years, many bikes, and will again, including in my Chevy van. They might not stop dirt quite as well as paper, but they are less restrictive and sometimes that matters. I live a mile above sea level so it's a quick and easy altitude compensation. But you need to observe the recommended maintenance for best results, and do NOT over-oil (don't ask me how I know). So, overall, I'm a fan, and yes they can last for many years if well cared for.

As they say, your milage may vary. I haven't used the oil filters, but have used the air filters on my current 2017 T120, and two previous Goldwings for the past 15 years. No problems, pretty easy to maintain when that is needed. I like the longer service intervals, compared to paper filters.

Had the K&N installed today and it was money well spent. Once again an increase in torque, quick low rev upshifts and it runs now like it can breathe. Works for me.

Anyone out there have any experence using K&N oil and air filters? I've heard good things of them from a limited amount of people. My bike is a 2003 America.
I use K&N Filters on my 02 Sprint and 05 Bonny. They have the correct by-pass valves and anti drain back valves plus a superior Synthetic media which makes them superior to the oe. If anyone had problems with the nut then they are tightening them to ridiculous amounts of tension. They should be tightened till the seal is firm by hand then 3/4 of a turn by nut. Sorry forgot I use their air filters as well and have the cleaner kit but so far have not cleaned them.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom