Terence

Local time
Today, 05:13
First Name
Terence
My Ride
Bonneville Speedmaster
I own a 2018 Speedmaster
I recently rode to the local petrol station to fill up & discovered my ignition key had fallen out (I retraced my route & found my key)
The engine was still running
Has anyone ever come across this

If your key can come out when in the on position, sounds like the lock/switch is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Qship's answer is quite logical. In my opinion, it would have to be abnormal wear and tear for it to be bad on a 2-3 year old bike.

I have never heard of such a thing. I, also, agree with Qship.

I have never heard of such a thing. I, also, agree with Qship.
Wow, that's a new one on me too. Never ever hear of that happening. Glad you found the key.

The bike being a 2018, is it still under warranty? Ignition switches should not wear out or be defective that soon.

I own a 2018 Speedmaster
I recently rode to the local petrol station to fill up & discovered my ignition key had fallen out (I retraced my route & found my key)
Thank you for your replies
I'm going to contact the dealer where I purchased it & get the ignition replaced under warrenty

Let us know what the dealer says.

I own a 2018 Speedmaster
The key came out again, so I took the bike to the nearest dealer to me
Explained the problem to them & asked to have the problem resolved under the warranty
They had a look at the bike & whilst in there workshop the problem never happened again
I was told because they couldn't find a fault, nothing could be done for me
I was sent away with no resolution & a bill for there time

That is not a happy resolution at all.

Can you attach the key to a tether when you ride? Would prevent you from losing your key again(if it happens again), and you could use your phone to show them if it happens again as well. Leave bike running during video with key hanging from a cord or tether is pretty damning evidence of a problem. If they do not resolve your issue, go higher.

Can you attach the key to a tether when you ride? Would prevent you from losing your key again(if it happens again), and you could use your phone to show them if it happens again as well. Leave bike running during video with key hanging from a cord or tether is pretty damning evidence of a problem. If they do not resolve your issue, go higher.
The tether is a great idea- when I was a Police Officer- we attached vital pieces of our gear to our ballistic vests with what we called "dummy cords".

Explained the problem to them & asked to have the problem resolved under the warranty
They had a look at the bike & whilst in there workshop the problem never happened again
I suggest writing Triumph about the dealer's unacceptable behavior.

Could it be a worn key not the ignition?

I haven’t had a problem with this yet but having heard some people have I use a springy tether secured to the seat strap. If the key does come out it springs up out of the way.

Sounds like the key on my old wore out truck, the key will come out of the switch in any position. The key on my 1962 Harley would come out after it was turned on, i would put the key in my pocket then take it out later to turn it off. I was a young kid then and thought that was the way it was supposed to be until one day i saw one of my friends operate the ign on his bike, it was a small world then.

That's disgusting, I can't be live they charged you for that!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom