Today, 04:59
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Riding Since
Published in: Bikes

KTM 1190 Adventure R Build intro

I’ve tested, thrashed and toured the best big-bore adventure bikes of the past decade, but the KTM 1190 Adventure R remains my favorite. The 1190R offers performance-bred character in stock form both on and off the road. Install 50/50 tires onto the 21/18-inch spoked wheels and the bike quickly feeds your needs, whether you’re playing with sport bikes on your favorite canyon carve or crashing bars with the best enduro bikes on single track.

KTM offered the 1190 from 2013 to 2016, bookended between the 990 and 1290 Adventure models. The bike quickly became the standard for performance-focused ADV riders. I’ve owned my 2016 model since 2018 and have zero reasons to trade for any other adventure tourer that sees regular off-roading.

I’m particularly happy with my own machine because of the performance-focused tweaks I’ve made. With some modifications, I’ve extracted even more jam from the 1195cc, 75-degree V-twin powerplant (derived from the RC8 superbike) I also updated luggage capacity, protection, and comfort. Yes, much more is possible. But this setup needs nothing but a rider hungry for true, “Ready to Race” performance on and off the road.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build 1

Performance First

Most KTM enthusiasts have heard of Rottweiler Performance (RottweilerPerformance.com), the SoCal business launched in 2011 by Chris Parker. The business covers a tight niche—performance parts for KTM and Husqvarna machinery. Parker is not only the founder but also the product designer. His vision makes Rottweiler a respected source for KTM upgrades, especially for those in the ADV space. Professional riders like Chris Birch and Quinn Cody use the Rottweiler upgrades. And the ultimate setup to wake up the KTM’s 150-horsepower LC8? The Rottweiler Stage 4 intake system, which includes:

• Full Stage 1 Intake Kit (Rottweiler Rally Series Filter Element, base plate adapter, 60-cell pre-filter, hardware. The double-filter design makes sure dust and dirt particles don’t get swallowed by the LC8, which can cause major issues!).
  • Tuned Velocity Stack (shorter to clear double filter setup).
  • Rottweiler Fueling Dongles (to trick the computer into not displaying faulty codes when stuff is unplugged).
  • Power Commander V.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build rottweiler

I also installed the SAS/Canister removal kit, a race-only modification that sheds around 3.5 lb. and cleans up some clutter. Overall weight loss when swapping to the Stage 4 kit and the SAS/Canister removal was nearly 10 lb., a significant shed for a 518-lb. bike fully fueled.

The bulk of the installation work involved removing the 6.1-gallon fuel tank, which means removing the front fairings and two years of mud and dirt. The process took about four hours. Parker himself provides instructional installation videos that guide you through the process quickly. Before you start the job, take time to familiarize yourself with these videos, and the task will be much easier.

I dread wiring, but that wasn’t a problem here. Except for one splice into the main ECU’s wiring harness (remember, orange and white like KTM—not red and white!) with a simple splicing grommet to hook up the Power Commander V, the only other electrical work was simple unplugging and plugging into the stock wiring. The kit also has dongles to trick the KTM’s brain into thinking the SAS/Canister, and O2 sensors are still there—the latter a simple fix that smooths throttle tremendously.

The outcome was immediate. Power built stronger and evenly across the RPM range, regardless of if you were lightly modulating the throttle for slow-speed maneuvers or quickly cranking WOT. I never had an issue with KTM’s fueling, but after a few miles with the Rottweiler Stage 4 kit—especially on some fast-flowing to tighter single-track off-road settings—I realized it needed help. Smoothness and increased-midrange power are the highlights of the upgrade—and the intake sound makes me feel like a backyard Dakar racer.

Word of advice: Make sure your fuel line’s quick connect between the fuel tank and the throttle bodies is square and secured. My bike ran excellent for about 40 miles until I jumped some railroad tracks, and the bike stalled. Being April in Northeast Pennsylvania, of course the sleet started once I broke down. I was baffled and cold and used my AMA membership to get a tow home.

Curious about this problem, we reached out to Parker. His first suggestion was to check the fuel quick connect, and he was correct. That tow was a great lesson into the quirks of this Austrian beast that’s now even more monstrous with the Stage 4 upgrade.

Click here to read more about “Rottweiler Performance Stage 4 Intake Kit Review”

Luggage, Protection, and Comfort Upgrades

Why go against a proven design? I used Touratech (Touratech-USA.com) aluminum panniers on previous bikes and never had an issue, whether they were submerged in water or smacking trees at triple digitals, so I knew they’d work for me here.

The Zega Pro setup, including 31/38-liter side panniers and a 25-liter top case, has a few great attributes. The latches are easy to use—even with gloves. The lids can be used as trays for tools or eating while touring, and make the cases fully waterproof. This luggage also offers multiple levels of protection. The cases are capable of taking a beating and even when they’re off, the rack system acts as a crash bar.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build zega

Speaking of crash bars: Once again I depended on Touratech products, due to much positive experience with the Germany-based company founded in 1990. This time, I opted for the RallyeForm skid plate. The RallyeForm features a smart, two-piece design—a steel frame that mounts to the engine and a separate 4mm-thick aluminum shell that’s strong enough to protect the 1190’s vulnerable exhaust and your lower engine components.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build skid plate

I’ve bashed this numerous times without issue and used it for sliding off jagged cliffs with zero punctures or dents. And the best part? The aluminum shell is easily removable for oil changes because it attaches to a stainless-steel sub-frame that’s bolted to the frame.

Other protection and comfort mods included:

• Touratech upper crash bars, which take a beating, but are difficult to put on and take off (note some pics have these removed; I was making sure the Stage 4 kit was working perfectly before reinstalling them).
  • Touratech quick-release headlight protector, which keeps your expensive headlight intact but removes easily for cleaning.
  • Touratech handguards, featuring removable spoilers for more airflow in hotter weather.
  • SW-Motech (SW-Motech.com) 20mm bar risers for comfort and ergonomics. The almost 0.8-inch raise puts less strain on the wrist while standing.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build sw bar riser

• Although most of my riding time on the 1190R is while standing off-road, the stock seat didn’t supply the full comfort needed for long days on the road. I typically use Sargent (SargentCycle.com)seats on all my bikes but went with the KTM performance seat here. It provides long-haul comfort and keeps you planted when leaning off sport bike-style on the street due to the grippy material. Plus, it’s heated, though I only use the heated seat for temps under 40 degrees. The passenger seat is equally comfortable and has heat for when the wife comes along for a ride. She always recommends the KTM, not for its styling but rather its comfort (and lack of loud exhaust!).
  • I ditched the stock pegs for Touratech Works footpegs, which are 2 inches wide and 3.5 inches long—0.25-inches longer than stock. Yes, a quarter of an inch doesn’t sound like much, but when you’re at it all day off-road, that quarter of an inch offers much more comfort for moving your feet around. The footpegs’ open design self-cleans, and the sharper claws keep your feet planted regardless of mud or water.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build footpeg

• For colder riding days—below 50°F—I swap the perfectly capable stock windscreen for the Touratech Adventure touring windscreen. The windscreen is much larger than the stock unit at 17.3 inches from top to bottom, and 15.9 inches at its widest spot. The shape helps deflect air and rain/snow off the body for a much more comfortable ride when it’s colder. The polycarbonate construction is extremely tough, surviving multiple tree limbs at 90+ mph speeds.
  • Doubletake Adventure (DoubleTakeMirrors.com) mirrors wrapped up the build. These are more durable than stock and are quickly adjustable because they attach via a RAM mount. I like to adjust my left mirror to see what’s behind me while standing. Sometimes the rides go from on-road and off-road sections, and adjusting the mirror is simpler than stock. Just slightly loosen the RAM mount during these moments, and rear vision is quickly adjustable based on standing or sitting. A word of advice: If installing these, use coarse sandpaper to roughen the RAM mount surfaces. They will remain stable at all speeds.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build all

My bike, which I consider the best big-bore adventure bike ever built (sorry GS fans!), is more than capable from the factory. But as the miles grow, you notice the smaller things, such as seat comfort, slippery pegs, luggage needs, and, of course, more engine performance across the RPM range. With great upgrades from some of the many passionate aftermarket providers, it’s now even better with more comfort and performance to boot.

Now it’s time for phase II of the build which will focus on suspension and auxiliary lighting. (Now accepting suggestions….)

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build fun

Ron Lieback portrait
Ron Lieback
is an East Coast motorcycle enthusiast and moto journalist with an addiction to piloting larger ADV bikes through tight and technical off-road terrain. When not riding, he’s growing his SEO-driven content marketing agency, ContentMender (ContentMender.com). He’s also the author of 365 to Vision: Modern Writer’s Guide (How to Create More Quality Writing in Less Time).

Continue reading...

Published in: Bikes

KTM 1190 Adventure R Build intro

KTM offered the 1190 from 2013 to 2016, bookended between the 990 and 1290 Adventure models. The bike quickly became the standard for performance-focused ADV riders. I’ve owned my 2016 model since 2018 and have zero reasons to trade for any other adventure tourer that sees regular off-roading.

I’m particularly happy with my own machine because of the performance-focused tweaks I’ve made. With some modifications, I’ve extracted even more jam from the 1195cc, 75-degree V-twin powerplant (derived from the RC8 superbike) I also updated luggage capacity, protection, and comfort. Yes, much more is possible. But this setup needs nothing but a rider hungry for true, “Ready to Race” performance on and off the road.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build 1

Performance First

Most KTM enthusiasts have heard of Rottweiler Performance (RottweilerPerformance.com), the SoCal business launched in 2011 by Chris Parker. The business covers a tight niche—performance parts for KTM and Husqvarna machinery. Parker is not only the founder but also the product designer. His vision makes Rottweiler a respected source for KTM upgrades, especially for those in the ADV space. Professional riders like Chris Birch and Quinn Cody use the Rottweiler upgrades. And the ultimate setup to wake up the KTM’s 150-horsepower LC8? The Rottweiler Stage 4 intake system, which includes:

• Full Stage 1 Intake Kit (Rottweiler Rally Series Filter Element, base plate adapter, 60-cell pre-filter, hardware. The double-filter design makes sure dust and dirt particles don’t get swallowed by the LC8, which can cause major issues!).
  • Tuned Velocity Stack (shorter to clear double filter setup).
  • Rottweiler Fueling Dongles (to trick the computer into not displaying faulty codes when stuff is unplugged).
  • Power Commander V.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build rottweiler

I also installed the SAS/Canister removal kit, a race-only modification that sheds around 3.5 lb. and cleans up some clutter. Overall weight loss when swapping to the Stage 4 kit and the SAS/Canister removal was nearly 10 lb., a significant shed for a 518-lb. bike fully fueled.

The bulk of the installation work involved removing the 6.1-gallon fuel tank, which means removing the front fairings and two years of mud and dirt. The process took about four hours. Parker himself provides instructional installation videos that guide you through the process quickly. Before you start the job, take time to familiarize yourself with these videos, and the task will be much easier.

I dread wiring, but that wasn’t a problem here. Except for one splice into the main ECU’s wiring harness (remember, orange and white like KTM—not red and white!) with a simple splicing grommet to hook up the Power Commander V, the only other electrical work was simple unplugging and plugging into the stock wiring. The kit also has dongles to trick the KTM’s brain into thinking the SAS/Canister, and O2 sensors are still there—the latter a simple fix that smooths throttle tremendously.

The outcome was immediate. Power built stronger and evenly across the RPM range, regardless of if you were lightly modulating the throttle for slow-speed maneuvers or quickly cranking WOT. I never had an issue with KTM’s fueling, but after a few miles with the Rottweiler Stage 4 kit—especially on some fast-flowing to tighter single-track off-road settings—I realized it needed help. Smoothness and increased-midrange power are the highlights of the upgrade—and the intake sound makes me feel like a backyard Dakar racer.

Curious about this problem, we reached out to Parker. His first suggestion was to check the fuel quick connect, and he was correct. That tow was a great lesson into the quirks of this Austrian beast that’s now even more monstrous with the Stage 4 upgrade.

Click here to read more about “Rottweiler Performance Stage 4 Intake Kit Review”

Luggage, Protection, and Comfort Upgrades

Why go against a proven design? I used Touratech (Touratech-USA.com) aluminum panniers on previous bikes and never had an issue, whether they were submerged in water or smacking trees at triple digitals, so I knew they’d work for me here.

The Zega Pro setup, including 31/38-liter side panniers and a 25-liter top case, has a few great attributes. The latches are easy to use—even with gloves. The lids can be used as trays for tools or eating while touring, and make the cases fully waterproof. This luggage also offers multiple levels of protection. The cases are capable of taking a beating and even when they’re off, the rack system acts as a crash bar.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build zega

Speaking of crash bars: Once again I depended on Touratech products, due to much positive experience with the Germany-based company founded in 1990. This time, I opted for the RallyeForm skid plate. The RallyeForm features a smart, two-piece design—a steel frame that mounts to the engine and a separate 4mm-thick aluminum shell that’s strong enough to protect the 1190’s vulnerable exhaust and your lower engine components.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build skid plate

I’ve bashed this numerous times without issue and used it for sliding off jagged cliffs with zero punctures or dents. And the best part? The aluminum shell is easily removable for oil changes because it attaches to a stainless-steel sub-frame that’s bolted to the frame.

Other protection and comfort mods included:

• Touratech upper crash bars, which take a beating, but are difficult to put on and take off (note some pics have these removed; I was making sure the Stage 4 kit was working perfectly before reinstalling them).
  • Touratech quick-release headlight protector, which keeps your expensive headlight intact but removes easily for cleaning.
  • Touratech handguards, featuring removable spoilers for more airflow in hotter weather.
  • SW-Motech (SW-Motech.com) 20mm bar risers for comfort and ergonomics. The almost 0.8-inch raise puts less strain on the wrist while standing.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build sw bar riser

• Although most of my riding time on the 1190R is while standing off-road, the stock seat didn’t supply the full comfort needed for long days on the road. I typically use Sargent (SargentCycle.com)seats on all my bikes but went with the KTM performance seat here. It provides long-haul comfort and keeps you planted when leaning off sport bike-style on the street due to the grippy material. Plus, it’s heated, though I only use the heated seat for temps under 40 degrees. The passenger seat is equally comfortable and has heat for when the wife comes along for a ride. She always recommends the KTM, not for its styling but rather its comfort (and lack of loud exhaust!).
  • I ditched the stock pegs for Touratech Works footpegs, which are 2 inches wide and 3.5 inches long—0.25-inches longer than stock. Yes, a quarter of an inch doesn’t sound like much, but when you’re at it all day off-road, that quarter of an inch offers much more comfort for moving your feet around. The footpegs’ open design self-cleans, and the sharper claws keep your feet planted regardless of mud or water.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build footpeg

• For colder riding days—below 50°F—I swap the perfectly capable stock windscreen for the Touratech Adventure touring windscreen. The windscreen is much larger than the stock unit at 17.3 inches from top to bottom, and 15.9 inches at its widest spot. The shape helps deflect air and rain/snow off the body for a much more comfortable ride when it’s colder. The polycarbonate construction is extremely tough, surviving multiple tree limbs at 90+ mph speeds.
  • Doubletake Adventure (DoubleTakeMirrors.com) mirrors wrapped up the build. These are more durable than stock and are quickly adjustable because they attach via a RAM mount. I like to adjust my left mirror to see what’s behind me while standing. Sometimes the rides go from on-road and off-road sections, and adjusting the mirror is simpler than stock. Just slightly loosen the RAM mount during these moments, and rear vision is quickly adjustable based on standing or sitting. A word of advice: If installing these, use coarse sandpaper to roughen the RAM mount surfaces. They will remain stable at all speeds.

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build all

My bike, which I consider the best big-bore adventure bike ever built (sorry GS fans!), is more than capable from the factory. But as the miles grow, you notice the smaller things, such as seat comfort, slippery pegs, luggage needs, and, of course, more engine performance across the RPM range. With great upgrades from some of the many passionate aftermarket providers, it’s now even better with more comfort and performance to boot.

Now it’s time for phase II of the build which will focus on suspension and auxiliary lighting. (Now accepting suggestions….)

2022 ktm 1190 adv r build fun

Ron Lieback portrait
Ron Lieback is an East Coast motorcycle enthusiast and moto journalist with an addiction to piloting larger ADV bikes through tight and technical off-road terrain. When not riding, he’s growing his SEO-driven content marketing agency, ContentMender (ContentMender.com). He’s also the author of 365 to Vision: Modern Writer’s Guide (How to Create More Quality Writing in Less Time).

Continue reading...

Nice bike. Handles well.
But parts are hard to get.
My son owns one and his bike is still at the dealer waiting for a part under warranty.
Vancouver area, Canada (Langley)
Sitting there since september, still waiting in december....

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom