James.gower

Riding for 49 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 18:38
First Name
Jamie
My Ride
2003 Honda GL1800 GoldWing
I recently bought a ‘99 Legend TT that sat in a garage for 15 years. It has less than 6000 miles on it. I’ve completely rebuilt the carbs and finally got to ride it after a lot of other work. It ran perfectly for about ten minutes and then started misfiring terribly (literally bucking) at RPMs from idle to about 3000. The engine will quit at idle sometimes but starts up immediately afterwards. Above 3k it seems to run well. I have checked all spark plugs and they’re burning a light tan/gray. I tested all three coils dynamically with an old school Suzuki tester as well as checking resistance of primary coils and plug wires. They all measured exactly the same. I also checked insulation from primary to secondary and there is no continuity as expected. All connections to coils, igniter unit and coils are clean and apparently tight. I suspect it is the ignition trigger coil, however, it would seem odd with so few miles on it. Any thoughts?

Greyfell

Proud Nerd
Riding for 4 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 16:38
First Name
Stephen
My Ride
2008 Triumph Bonneville T100 Ann-Margret
Did you replace the gas, preferably with premium? There may have been water in the gas.

James.gower

Riding for 49 Years
Local time
First Name
Jamie
My Ride
After installing a new ignition trigger coil to the tune of $126.00 I finally solved this problem. It was a poor connection at the ECM. I used a small pair of needle nose pliers to twist the male connector blades ever so slightly to make better contact, it runs great and doesn’t die any more.

Philois

Riding for 43 Years
Local time
Today, 09:38
First Name
Phil
My Ride
2015 Triumph Bonneville America.
Great feeling when you finally solve these types of problems. Enjoy the ride James.

James.gower

Riding for 49 Years
Local time
First Name
Jamie
My Ride
Great feeling when you finally solve these types of problems. Enjoy the ride James.
Thanks. It’s actually a graduation gift for my son. I’ve been partially restoring it since February.

Philois

Riding for 43 Years
Local time
Today, 09:38
First Name
Phil
My Ride
2015 Triumph Bonneville America.
I am sure he will love it. But you have to take it for a nice long test ride right!!!!

Gogreen

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
Today, 00:38
First Name
Phil
My Ride
Thunderbird Sport; T140D
If as you say it starts and runs at idle and above 3k you have to suspect fueling. Flush and clean the carbs and tank again sounds like some residual dirt has found it's way to the jets. As James said the ignition pick up can cause similar issues and they're easy to swap out.

crazedcanuck77

Riding for 25 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 17:38
First Name
Rob
My Ride
2000 Triumph Legend TT 900 Imperial Green
That's a fantastic graduation gift, your son will love it.

I've had my 2000 Legend TT for 8yrs now, and I haven't stopped enjoying every riding season, and modding it every winter.

James.gower

Riding for 49 Years
Local time
First Name
Jamie
My Ride
If as you say it starts and runs at idle and above 3k you have to suspect fueling. Flush and clean the carbs and tank again sounds like some residual dirt has found it's way to the jets. As James said the ignition pick up can cause similar issues and they're easy to swap out.
I took the carbs off twice and checked all that, once before and once after the ignition sensor replacement. It was loose pin fit on the ECM connector.

James.gower

Riding for 49 Years
Local time
First Name
Jamie
My Ride
I took the carbs off twice and checked all that, once before and once after the ignition sensor replacement. It was loose pin fit on the ECM connector.
My luck still hasn’t changed. When I found the ECM pin fit problem and fixed it the problem went away completely. The next day it was misfiring at times and would die occasionally. I had a problem haughty that perhaps the ignition switch contacts could be the problem, so I disassembled it and it DID have some lovely green corrosion around the contacts, which I cleaned and reassembled. After that, it seemed a bit better, so I took it home. This morning, I rode to work on it and it ran like crap. It would only run on one cylinder at times and died frequently. I was able to keep it running by turning the choke almost full on. I’m almost convinced that it is ignition related, but all there is left to replace is the ECM and I don’t have $350 to throw away. BC6FA113-5378-4035-A865-356AA9402F1A.jpeg

bsaa65

Riding for 53 Years
Local time
Yesterday, 19:38
First Name
Alan
My Ride
2000 Triumph Thunderbird
James...sorry about your difficulties with the Legend. I can share in your frustration. My 2000 Thunderbird sat for 2 years with a tank of E10 fuel, and wouldn't start or run thereafter. I removed the 3 carburetors, disassembled and cleaned them. She would then start with help from starting fluid. Wouldn't idle but ran on full choke at around 4000 rpm. Gradually got better and would run without the choke oh a high idle around 2000 rpm. Since then she runs better and better the more fresh non-alcohol fuel I run through it. She now runs fine, but remains a hard starter, especially when hot. I suspect that deposits from the original E10 fuel are partially plugging air jets or internal passages, but I'm choosing to ignore it for the time being.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom