Legend TT900 Cooling Fan Question

deank1

Local time
Today, 01:45
First Name
Dean
My Ride
2000 Triumph Legend TT 900
Hey all! I have a 2000 Legend TT 900 that was recently in the local Triumph dealership for work. All fluids were drained and refilled during the process and, since getting the bike back, it seems to me that my cooling fan kicks on way more than it used to. Yesterday for example it was 70 degrees here in Central PA and, as soon as I completed about a 20 mile ride in the country with no traffic lights, the fan kicked on as soon as the ignition was off. It does it almost every time I take a ride like this while last year it only kicked on if it was a really hot day. Is this a good thing or could I be low on coolant or perhaps have a thermostat that's sticking? Any thoughts appreciated. I bought the bike last year from a the original owner and just turned 9000 miles on this garage kept beauty!

A new thermostat might be a good idea they aren't to costly, but i would bet on low coolant like Greyfell said.

Checking the coolant level would be a good cautionary measure.
If the coolant was low wouldn't it heat up faster and trip the coolant temp light?

Depends on how low it is.

Coolant was low. Triumph shop in Camp Hill, PA confirmed and topped it off for me. Fan still kicking on but we're in the middle of a heat wave so we'll have to wait it out. Bike stalled at three red lights that day for no apparent reason. I guess next I'll be looking to replace the coils.

Ironically a more common failure is the switch not working and the fan not switching on, leading to overheating problems. Your's sounds like its working just fine. The fan will often come on after stopping as the temperature rises first when the bike is stationary before it then cools down

I also have a 2000 Legend TT900, and have noticed increased Fan usage/running at the end of rides, especially longer trips.

Occasionally it was low coolant, others I just figured it was a cool down period.

One tip btw is to use a long Phillips head screwdriver to pop the rubber cap off the Coolant tank, tape a piece of Flex Hose to a funnel, and you can fill it up yourself no problem without having to remove your gastank.

You are probably aware of the cooling system service regime, but if not. Change coolent every 2 years or 18,000 mls, waterways can become clogged and furred if service is neglected. consider using a good coolent flush before refill if you are unsure of the service history. Overheating can lead to head gasket failure. See attached for refference. good luck

Attachments

• 1999 Triumph Legend coolent service.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 9
Hey all! I have a 2000 Legend TT 900 that was recently in the local Triumph dealership for work. All fluids were drained and refilled during the process and, since getting the bike back, it seems to me that my cooling fan kicks on way more than it used to. Yesterday for example it was 70 degrees here in Central PA and, as soon as I completed about a 20 mile ride in the country with no traffic lights, the fan kicked on as soon as the ignition was off. It does it almost every time I take a ride like this while last year it only kicked on if it was a really hot day. Is this a good thing or could I be low on coolant or perhaps have a thermostat that's sticking? Any thoughts appreciated. I bought the bike last year from a the original owner and just turned 9000 miles on this garage kept beauty!
Good day Deank1, Just a silly question in that when either you or the dealer filled or refilled the anti freeze, id you remember to remove the top screw to allow the air in the system to escape? If not you have air i the system and this will cause the fan to kick in more than usual! Just like babies, the system needs to be burped.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom