Look What I Found.

Lcthree

Local time
Yesterday, 19:59
First Name
Scott
My Ride
Concours 1400
I was tending to my coolant the other day on my 99 Thunderbird and once I got the tank and seat off I'm checking stuff out. First its in surprisingly good condition for a 22,000 mile bike, must not have been ridden in the rain at all. Anyway, I see what looks like a mouse nest in the round air intake but no, it is a Brillo pad cut down to fit in the hole. It's in good shape, not like the nasty ones my wife uses over and over. I put it back figuring it probably replaced something the factory used there to stop insects and or mice. Was there something in there from the factory? If I take it out i'm sure it will add gobs of power to the bike, so much so I wont be able to hang on! Just kidding. Maybe the PO had a mouse problem with the hopes a Brillo pad would keep them out, maybe the soap smell drives em bonkers.

An update on the Brillo pad, on closer inspection with better lighting it is in fact Scotchbrite cut to fit. I took it out. It has to be slowing airflow.

You should post pics so ppl have some sort of reference, and know how hard they should laugh at the previous owner.

Also visit Bike Bandit for schematics for your model and year and it'll likely solve the mystery of what SHOULD be there.

Good luck.

Here's a pic

Attachments

• Screenshots_2022-05-02-21-21-45.png
    Screenshots_2022-05-02-21-21-45.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 5
I like it! They can't knaw through metals.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom