Looking For Headlight Lens Replacement

hwolfkillz

Local time
Today, 07:04
First Name
Hannah
My Ride
2017 triumph street triple r 675
I recently took my 2017 street triple 675 r to a track day. Unfortunately i taped the lights. It was about 105*F ambient temperature, with the addition to the tape over the lens, this caused the plastic lens to melt. I did not account for how hot the bulb would get while taped.

I looked for parts online and a headlight assembly is about $640/piece.

does anyone know if i can just get a lens and not the entire housing? or how i could find the part number:

The diagram i found does not have a separate plastic lens, does anyone think this is possible?

If not possible does anyone have suggestions on where to find headlight assemblies which are affordable?

20200929_150242.jpg

Hi, I've noticed that my lens is the same. How strange! Did you manage to find out if there was a lens replacement available? Thanks.

You might try the local salvage yards or check on eBay for the assembly. If it's like most of the auto makers the units are factory sealed to prevent moisture and dust intrusion.

Hi, I've noticed that my lens is the same. How strange! Did you manage to find out if there was a lens replacement available? Thanks.
Doubt you'll get a response from the OP as he posted that one query and hasn't been back since. Hopefully you'll find a solution to your hazing lenses.

Doubt you'll get a response from the OP as he posted that one query and hasn't been back since. Hopefully you'll find a solution to your hazing lenses.
Many thanks for getting back. It would appear running the bike stationary with the lights on results in the plastic melting with the temperature created by the halogen bulbs. So note to myself "don't run the bike whilst stationary for long periods of time." Led bulbs would solve the issue altogether.... Just got a spare unit off Ebay..

Many thanks for getting back. It would appear running the bike stationary with the lights on results in the plastic melting with the temperature created by the halogen bulbs. So note to myself "don't run the bike whilst stationary for long periods of time." Led bulbs would solve the issue altogether.... Just got a spare unit off Ebay..
Glad to hear you found a spare. I don’t know, but does the lens separate from the body? When you get the replacement part you could see if any of the lens polishing compounds would clarify the lens at all.

Glad to hear you found a spare. I don’t know, but does the lens separate from the body? When you get the replacement part you could see if any of the lens polishing compounds would clarify the lens at all.
I’m hoping it does separate and that I can just place to the replacement lens into the existing body…. Fingers crossed!!

I’m hoping it does separate and that I can just place to the replacement lens into the existing body…. Fingers crossed!!
Experiment with the old and see if you can somehow fix it. I’ve been curious about these lens melt issues, but never ran into one of my own to try to figure out if it can be salvaged or not. Always better to try something when you have a replacement.

Greed, that is the new design philosophy.

I have heard of peeps baking headlights in the oven at low temps to warm the glue holding the lens and reflectors together to get them separated for modding. Maybe this can be done with the bikes as well then refinish the inside like they do to restore the outside lens when they become faded and hazy.

I have heard of peeps baking headlights in the oven at low temps to warm the glue holding the lens and reflectors together to get them separated for modding. Maybe this can be done with the bikes as well then refinish the inside like they do to restore the outside lens when they become faded and hazy.
That sounds exactly like the approach to try!

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom