Premium Member
Staff
Local time
Today, 00:06
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Riding Since
2019 licensed about a decade earlier.
Took a very short test ride on my Thruxton after installing some mods. Mods included removal of airbox, new polished aluminum fenders front and rear, new billet aluminum signals front and rear, a new tail brake light with bracket/plate (fender delete kit) and a separate rear license plate bracket. Both rear brackets were modified and not installed as intended by manufacturer, I changed and cut them to work. Front fender was polished from a brushed aluminum. What remains to be done is installing the carburetor jets and adjustments. It was clear after a brief ride that the jets would be needed. There was some carburetor backfire after the engine warmed up. This was not present prior to the airbox removal and install of K&N filters. I could tell there was a more responsive feel with a more free breathing air system. Next step is figuring out which jets I need to install from the kit. There were several and shims.IMG_0291.JPGIMG_0292.JPGIMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPGIMG_0298.JPGIMG_0301.JPGIMG_0305.JPGIMG_0307.JPGIMG_0308.JPGIMG_0309.JPGIMG_0310.JPG

Here's what came off and what's hiding under the covers.
IMG_0239B.JPG
IMG_0228.JPGIMG_0232-FullSizeRender.jpg
The fender delete kit plate makes a great cable tray. The cables are longer than what I needed. I suppose I could shorten them. The battery box has enough space for a good old fashion motorcycle tool kit.

That was one big ugly rear plate mount and the air box looks like a PITA to work with.
Bike looks really sharp now. Great Job!

That was one big ugly rear plate mount and the air box looks like a PITA to work with.
Bike looks really sharp now. Great Job!
Yes, the whole rear light assembly was a bit clumsy in my opinion and the signal light bodies were plastic and for some reason were not very sturdy in their connections. The air box was indeed a bit tricky to get out. I didn’t have to remove the rear wheel. I disconnected the upper shock connection and lowered the swing arm. Had to have the rear high enough though. Even then I had to remove both of the side panels on the air box before I could wiggle it out. I think it looks cleaner now, which was my goal. Still retains the characteristics, but with a bit more refinement in my opinion. The strange thing was the original rear fender was painted metal of some type and the front fender plastic. I was also aiming to get that old look with polished metal instead of the painted look both the plastic and painted metal gave. I’m happy with the direction. Now to tackle the jets.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom