More Crash Bar Failures

Kikdrum

Local time
Yesterday, 23:25
First Name
Mike
My Ride
2021 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
On two different forums I'm seeing catastrophic Tiger 900 crash bar failures from sheared bolts to broken frames. I wish I could hear from Triumph their take on the subject. What do they recommend? The OEM bars are garbage.

sikatri

Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
Any links to cases?

Kikdrum

Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
Sure:

And:

https://www.other forum/threads/tiger-900-aftermarket-crash-bar-test.978542/page-15#post-2004281209

sikatri

Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
My Ride
2005 Triumph Thruxton 900
That is certainly problematic.

Scramboy

Riding for 48 Years
Local time
Today, 04:25
First Name
Neil
My Ride
Triumph 1200 Scrambler (soon), still owner of T120 WC
I'm wondering if that goes for other models if crash bars were fitted to them. Worth checking out how they might bend and what they could hit?

Kikdrum

Local time
First Name
Mike
My Ride
I personally had a bad experience with Outback Motortek crash bars. They are very high quality, but the design, in my opinion, is flawed. The Tiger 900 (post 2020) has a frame design that limits crash bar mount options. OM, along with others, use the forward upper engine mount as a mounting point. I heard a few reports of these bolts breaking. I talked with the owner of OM and he insisted he hadn't heard the reports and people have a habit of going on forums instead of contacting them.
I purchased and installed the bars. After a 500 mile ride around the Smokey Mountains including a fall (left side), I returned home to inspect the bars. Sure enough, the left side upper mount bolt was sheared.
After some back and forth with OM, they issued a full refund. I still have the lowers installed. They are far better than the OEM lowers. The majority of options I researched for the uppers are either using the same upper engine mount point, or the beak. I feel lucky that I didn't experience something worse.
SW-Motech and Akurat are both uppers that I may consider, but SW doesn't offer much lower protection and won't work with the OM lowers. Akurat seems to have a good solid design, but they are not the easiest company to contact.
Looks like the Tiger is the one facing the biggest challenges. I haven't heard any stories of other models being critically damaged due to crash bar protection design.

brooke

Riding for 52 Years
Local time
Today, 00:25
First Name
Brooke
My Ride
16 thruxton r. 2011 tiger 800
I spent a lot of time and thought before ordering bars for the 850 tiger . Just looking at them online and comparing the designs became quite an education , I hope . Obviously there is lots of different ideas out there as to how a bar should be constructed and offer protection . Some had 2 attachment points per side , some 3 and many had a bar going from side to side in front of the engine like the Triumph one on my 800 . That cross bar is rather flimsy and did not help keep the bars from getting bending a bit . Anyway I settled on the Givi model , it looks like it offers a lot of upper protection for a lower only unit , attaches on three spots per side and is sans the cross bar . The fit , finish and instructions are fine . Will let you know more when the bike arrives , hopefully .

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom