Dod

Riding for 42 Years
Local time
Today, 07:16
First Name
George
My Ride
Thunderbird Storm
OK Folks. I love my Storm but I always feel it has more power to unleash. Just wondering if anyone knows of options to do this. I've heard the claims of extra hp with straight through pipes and airbox removal. What are the other options? Are there any internal engine options?
Winter will be upon us in Scotland in the next few months so plenty time to get things done for the biking season next year.
Ideas welcome.

hemibee

Texas Tiger
Riding for 52 Years
Local time
Today, 01:16
First Name
Tony
My Ride
2013 Tiger 800XC
I'll be interested in see what can be done. I don't have a Storm but always like seeing what others do to enhance their ride.

Qship

Riding for 41 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 03:16
First Name
Steve
My Ride
'17 Tiger Explorer XRT
What I've read from other sources is making the intake and exhaust less restrictive wakes it up quite a bit as well, and PROPER ECU tuning. Mine is too new to the market for many mods or upgrades yet other than factory, and those would be "conservative."
Don't know of any internal mods other than increasing displacement that will give you what you want and again don't know if there are any after market companies out there that make a big bore kit for the Storm as there is too few of them, globally speaking.

DaveM

Rock & Roll
Riding for 47 Years
Administrator
Local time
Today, 08:16
First Name
Dave
My Ride
Speedmaster
Apparently just by using this air box removal kit you can punch it up a fair bit, so with better flowing pipes you should get even more out of it. Then of course you would also need to find the right map for the combination of the two.

British Customs Thunderbird 1600/1700 Air Box Elimination Kit

bc803-007.jpg

dazco

Local time
Yesterday, 23:16
Mine is a regular thunderbird but with the 1700 kit, so same engine as the storm. I have short TORs, gutted cat, removed the seal around the filter mouth, UNI filer, optimizers in place of the 02 sensors, and custom tune. The power difference is considerable. I would say I got a bigger power gain going from 1700 with TORs and TOR's tune than i did going from the 1600 to 1700 kit, which by the way is not simply a 100cc boost but it's the 1700 cams where the majority of the power comes from. Anyways, it's considerable.

You're probably wondering what optimizers are. Well, they are plugs that are the same type of plug on the end of the 02 sensors so they plug into the bike where the 02's usually go. You then plug the holes in the headers where the 02 sensors were with bolts. the plugs are loaded with 2 resistors. One that gives the proper resistance to the 02 heater circuit to eliminate any issue like ECU finding a aheater fault, and the other resistor is one that acts as the 02 sensor and puts it in a static range where the ECU will always thing the fueling is at a given amount so that it doesn't try and change it. The tune is a power commander tune i converted and tweaked a bit from another owner who shared it. I eliminated very lean areas that for some reason existed in his tune and added more fuel for popping and the result is the best tune i have run to date of maybe 10-15 different ones.

As to the cat, as i said i gutted mine but it's a long story on that and it's easier and better just to get a crossover like the meercat. It'll basically do the same thing and it IS a bit costly, but a set of TORs and the meercat will cost you no more than most 3rd party pipes alone.

DRod

Local time
Today, 02:16
First Name
Dave
My Ride
2014 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
i concur with the modified air intake and cat bypass solution. Did both when i swapped out to shorty TORs & map. considerable improvement in sound and performance. i don't think there is a big bore kit for the storm because the bb kit is designed to increase the 1600 to a 1700cc. there are a few who have installed super chargers in their storms. Over $4000 for the upgrade. not sure it's worth it though.. don't forget, too much low end torque can be dangerous on low speeds, especially when turning at an angle. had my zx12r custom with super charger that smoked any bike on the road but was a beast to control at lower speeds.

Leif

Local time
Today, 19:16
My Ride
2014 Storm
Mine is a regular thunderbird but with the 1700 kit, so same engine as the storm. I have short TORs, gutted cat, removed the seal around the filter mouth, UNI filer, optimizers in place of the 02 sensors, and custom tune. The power difference is considerable. I would say I got a bigger power gain going from 1700 with TORs and TOR's tune than i did going from the 1600 to 1700 kit, which by the way is not simply a 100cc boost but it's the 1700 cams where the majority of the power comes from. Anyways, it's considerable.

You're probably wondering what optimizers are. Well, they are plugs that are the same type of plug on the end of the 02 sensors so they plug into the bike where the 02's usually go. You then plug the holes in the headers where the 02 sensors were with bolts. the plugs are loaded with 2 resistors. One that gives the proper resistance to the 02 heater circuit to eliminate any issue like ECU finding a aheater fault, and the other resistor is one that acts as the 02 sensor and puts it in a static range where the ECU will always thing the fueling is at a given amount so that it doesn't try and change it. The tune is a power commander tune i converted and tweaked a bit from another owner who shared it. I eliminated very lean areas that for some reason existed in his tune and added more fuel for popping and the result is the best tune i have run to date of maybe 10-15 different ones.

As to the cat, as i said i gutted mine but it's a long story on that and it's easier and better just to get a crossover like the meercat. It'll basically do the same thing and it IS a bit costly, but a set of TORs and the meercat will cost you no more than most 3rd party pipes alone.

Hi dazco.
I have a 2014 Storm and have been trying to get more since buying it. I've tried a few things and have also been looking for a set of hot cams. All I could find were companies who will grind my stock storm ones. I also seriously looked at the supercharger kit, just not ready to make that committed or investment.
At the moment I am running with the following.

Exhausts (loud and angry):
Removed the balance pipe.
O2 sensors removed and blanked.
Removed CAT (now completely independent).
Shorty TORS which have been opened up at the end and a flared tube fitted down over 1/3 of the baffle.

Induction:
Removed induction moulding from seat.
Removed lip from air filter top cover on air box.
Hi-flow air filter.

I have also bought a Power Commander 5 off a guy who had it tuned for a similar modded bike but I reckon your tune might be worth a try. Would you be willing to share it?

dazco

Local time
No problem except for one thing. When you say you blanked them, are you saying you just removed the sensors and plugged the holes or did you use optimizers I assume since you have a PC It DOES have them correct? If by chance not the tune will run very lean sand not well, maybe dangerously lean. As i understand it a PC does use optimizers in place of the sensors but i just wanna be sure before you try it. The other thing to note is this is NOT a power commander tune. It's derived from one but converted to a hex file (also tweaked rather heavily) which can only be loaded using tuneecu, a free app that requires a certain cable you can get for about $10-15. So if you're good on all that stuff, you can D/L the tune here

Leif

Local time
My Ride
2014 Storm
Bloody legend!
Thank you so much for that. And yes, I am using optimizers now that I have removed the O2 sensors. I have the C3 app form my mobile, just need the cable. is it anything special or just a USB? :)

dazco

Local time
You have tuneecu? Thats what you need, and go to tuneecu.com to get info on the cable and download tuneecu if u don't have it. Been years since i bought mine so i can't remember, but they're $20 or less. They have USB at one and and a connector on the other that attaches to the plug under your left side cover. It's in a rubber boot clipped to the frame.

Leif

Local time
My Ride
2014 Storm
You have tuneecu? Thats what you need, and go to tuneecu.com to get info on the cable and download tuneecu if u don't have it. Been years since i bought mine so i can't remember, but they're $20 or less. They have USB at one and and a connector on the other that attaches to the plug under your left side cover. It's in a rubber boot clipped to the frame.
Ah right, so your tune is for the bike ECU then, not the Power Commander? I have the stock shorty tune in the ECU and a custom map in my Power Commander.

dazco

Local time
Well, the stock tors tune is much further removed from what the power commander's fueling would be with your hardware setup which is the same as mine. In fact, with the stock tors tune in there the power commander will likely not be able to optimize your fueling near as well as my tune is optimized. I took it from a power commander tune from another guy who spent2 years riding his bike with a power commander AND the optional auto tune. Then i optimized it further myself and at this point it's the strongest tune i have used to date. Good MPG to boot. And i've tried a lot of them. Chances are the power commander might even *detune* the bike from where my tune is. So i would suggest you try it. Or at the very least go to the power commander site and find a PC tune for your bike. other wise with the tors tune you're not getting any benefit from the PC. If you try mine see if the PC detunes it after a time and if so i'd just reload mine then turn the PC off.

Kalgoolie

Local time
Today, 14:16
First Name
Neil
My Ride
thunderbird 1700
Hi everybody .I can get performance pistons for the 1700cc it will give you a lot more hp

Xavier

Riding for 43 Years
Local time
First Name
Xavier
My Ride
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm w/ ABS
OK Folks. I love my Storm but I always feel it has more power to unleash. Just wondering if anyone knows of options to do this. I've heard the claims of extra hp with straight through pipes and airbox removal. What are the other options? Are there any internal engine options?
Winter will be upon us in Scotland in the next few months so plenty time to get things done for the biking season next year.
Ideas welcome.
Yes. Get rid of the cat.
Get rid of the stock pipes.

Unfortunately, no one makes 2 into 1 pipes, but get a pair of some high end straight pipes. I used British Customs but their customer support and supply chain is lacking.
There are some pricey custom pipes and it’s fun shopping online and reading reviews.

Get a Power Commander V and Dynotune it and lock in the MAP.

Finally buy the British Air Box. Let the machine breathe.

You’ll spend some $ but you’ll be happy.
Stay safe and enjoy the process.

I did all the above and my 2012 1700 Storm became more powerful and esp smooth.
40mph and 90mph became the sweet spots.
Cheers

Superstorm

Riding for 38 Years
Local time
Today, 07:16
My Ride
2016 Supercharged Nightstorm

Xavier

Riding for 43 Years
Local time
First Name
Xavier
My Ride
2012 Triumph Thunderbird Storm w/ ABS
Ideas welcome.
Add a Power Commander V
Have it Dynotuned
Ditch cat
Any aftermarket pipes you like
British Air box
Cut out channels under seat

Cheers

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom