FREEBRD

Local time
Yesterday, 23:59
First Name
Noah
My Ride
2012 Triumph Thunderbird
Hi,

My 2012 Thunderbird has its engine light on, I added 3 QT of 10/40 Synthetic but the Light is still on....I had my bike serviced at 6 k miles....it has 11K does this stay telling me to service it or will it go off?

Thanks

FREEBRD

Need some more info. The light comes on for a multitude of reasons. Was the bike 3 quarts low???? If it's over full this will cause problems. How does it run? It's like a fuel injected car, any one of the sensors will cause the light to come on. If you have Tuneecu ( if not google it ) you can hook it up with a cable and check error codes or I've even used a Scantron to check the codes and google the code to find out what's wrong.

Would not run it with 3 extra quarts of oil in it(unless it did indeed need them). Like Linkdog said it will cause a whole bunch of other issues. Will have to get your bike scanned to know what your issue(s) are.

Need some more info. The light comes on for a multitude of reasons. Was the bike 3 quarts low???? If it's over full this will cause problems. How does it run? It's like a fuel injected car, any one of the sensors will cause the light to come on. If you have Tuneecu ( if not google it ) you can hook it up with a cable and check error codes or I've even used a Scantron to check the codes and google the code to find out what's wrong.

Thank you, yes it was very low on the oil. and as for how it runs, Yesterday I went for a ride-Filled the tank, and when I was riding down the street it staled when I came to a light, So I rode it home and not continued my ride, that's when I check the oil....but the light is still on. I have started and let it idle for 15 minute multiple times....Light is still on I have not rode the bike since yesterday..I should take it for a test ride...Just don't want to screw the bike up if it means something bad.

On last Sunday went for a nice long ride...it ran great and came home no problems...Yesterday it sputtered so I added oil today and engine light is still on after multiple turn on's and off's.

Would not run it with 3 extra quarts of oil in it(unless it did indeed need them). Like Linkdog said it will cause a whole bunch of other issues. Will have to get your bike scanned to know what your issue(s) are.
Do not overfill the oil. You need to find out the error code triggering the engine light.

Thank you, yes it was very low on the oil. and as for how it runs, Yesterday I went for a ride-Filled the tank, and when I was riding down the street it staled when I came to a light, So I rode it home and not continued my ride, that's when I check the oil....but the light is still on. I have started and let it idle for 15 minute multiple times....Light is still on I have not rode the bike since yesterday..I should take it for a test ride...Just don't want to screw the bike up if it means something bad.

On last Sunday went for a nice long ride...it ran great and came home no problems...Yesterday it sputtered so I added oil today and engine light is still on after multiple turn on's and off's.
If it idles like crap and stumbles have a look at your MAP sensor hoses. They're under the tank but a little obscure. Try Googling MAP sensor hoses Triumph Thunderbird 1600 and you will find some photos and information. There is a forced adaptation ( 12 min. tune ) that you can do, when cold start the bike no throttle and let it idle till the fan turns on ( 15 - 20 min. ) let it idle for an additional 12 min. then shut it down. After every thing shuts down you are done, at no point DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE. If it is a minor problem the light will clear once the problem is resolved after a number of cycles, exact amount I forget. The bike only requires 4.1 liters or roughly 4.5 quarts, the fact that it needed 3 quarts worries me.

Listen to linkdog. It's almost certainly he map sensor hoses. Causes stalling and bad low speed running and triggers the engine ligt. It's also a SUPER common issue on the thunderbird. You can usually see the disconnected nipple under the tank on the front right side. Get a flashlight and crouch down and u will see them. B is the map sensor and A is the hose and connector that tends to slip off.

map.jpg

Is there any update on this?

He joined 7 Jan and hasn't been seen since, so probably not. Thanks for your help @Linkdog and @dazco. I had forgotten about the MAP tubes myself, but betting that was probably the issue.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Back
Top Bottom