My thoughts on the Rocket III

jetjky

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
Today, 09:17
My Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, Triumph Rocket III tour
The R3T has been calling my name for the past few years. I have researched them and ridden a few that had been performance modded and simply walked away. The bikes were screwed up badly. Seems changing one thing causes changes to others and before too long the machine is getting 20mpg drinking fuel. No thanks.

Here is how I view the rocket . . .
I have a 2000 F250 diesel truck with a 7.3L engine. It only makes 230hp but grinds out 550ft/lb of torque at 1850 rpm. It will tow anything. Yes, if I chipped it, did intake work, straight pipes, sure it would make 400+hp and a bit more torque but the transmission would crash. It is simply not made for that. Even though it has a huge motor, if I run 55-60 I get 23mpg when not towing. The Rocket reminds me of my truck, huge power potential but low end torque gearing. In my research I have read from many rocket owners who have dikked their machines up to make 260hp and melt rear tires yet still, the final drive ratio remains 0.94. Then they wonder "why did Triumph make such a chitte transmission"? I have seen Harley guys do the same thing, hopping up the motor until they melt pistons and cause other problems. They would save themselves a lot of trouble if they had just bought a Yamaha Vmax to begin with. I do think the Rocket needs taller gearing and a much taller 5th gear. I wish it did but ya can't do anything about it. The floorboards are way too high and far back but than can be changed. As far as "de-restricting" goes, the tour model is a bit restricted in HP in order to get a bit more torque. Ok with me. I have no intention of screwing with that in order to get more HP but I would like more sound out of the pipes so I have a lot of studying and research to do. If there is anyone out here who wants to converse about it, let's do that. The R3 is a unique machine.

Last edited:

triumph david

Riding for 60 Years
Staff
Local time
Today, 08:17
First Name
david
My Ride
1976 t140 Triumph, 2006 Road King, 1982 Honda CB 900 C, 1973 Yamaha 360 Enduro, 1972 Corbin
I wish i could help you with your Rocket. I have a Power Commander on my Road King, it helped alot ( i don't have a cat), you might contact the PC co. to get some info., may be a place to start.

keystiger

The Joker
Riding for 41 Years
Local time
Today, 08:17
First Name
Adrian
My Ride
2005 Triumph Tiger, British Racing Green--the fastest color
I wish you much luck Rocket Man -- please post your findings so others may learn of the possibilities. :)

jetjky

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
My Ride
I wish i could help you with your Rocket. I have a Power Commander on my Road King, it helped alot ( i don't have a cat), you might contact the PC co. to get some info., may be a place to start.
Thanks. I will be doing a lot of research this winter about "derestricting". I really don't need a lot of performance gain, just a little more bass from this "three man choir". Lol.

I sure wish Triumph (as well as some other manufacturers) had followed Harley Davidson's lead and located the transmission externally from the motor. Gear ratio is the main thing I wish could be changed.

jetjky

Riding for 50 Years
Local time
My Ride
I wish you much luck Rocket Man -- please post your findings so others may learn of the possibilities. :)
Wilco. Anybody who has a R3 and wants to share info or just discuss the machine I welcome thoughts and ideas.

Premium

Support TriumphTalk by becoming a Premium Member.

What You Get

Donate

Search

Top Bottom